PDA

View Full Version : Mystified...

brainycomp
05-25-2010, 02:53 PM
For the life of me, I cannot figure this out.

I'm creating a scene where a massive sculpture crumbles. Here's what I want to do:

1. Shatter/Fracture and animate the sculpture using low poly geometry.

ok now the hard part....

2. I want to replace that geometry (and all the fractures) with a high res version.

I have seen this done before. I have no clue how to do it. Nobody seems to know. If there is anyone out there that has any idea as to how this is done....would you be so kind as to explain?

I know how to reference/replace bla bla bla but when it comes to fractured geometry, no idea. How do I shatter the high res geometry the same way? Do I have to manually cut it? If so, how?

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

noticeus
05-25-2010, 03:27 PM
I would go the other way round. this means first shatter your high res geo and then build a lowres proxy for dynamics. a good thing would be to make sure you have good naming so you could use a script to either copy the animation curves from your lowres to your highres or just group your highres parts under your lowres parts and delete the lowres shape nodes. all done by script if naming is done right.

for shattering use which ever tool you see fit. e.g. fracture or voronoi shatter script here on cg talk or even the maya shatter tool (although you might need to do clean up).

also use displacement maps for jagged edges and more detail on the broken surfaces.

these are just a few hints and ideas. so try it out yourself.

brainycomp
05-25-2010, 11:11 PM
ok, thank you. But I am still interested in knowing how this is done. What do they do on big studio projects?

If you've got an insanely detailed mesh, how do you cut it up into shards? My computer seems to crash every time and ive got a decent setup.

cheers

hkspowers
05-26-2010, 12:55 AM
ok, thank you. But I am still interested in knowing how this is done. What do they do on big studio projects?

If you've got an insanely detailed mesh, how do you cut it up into shards? My computer seems to crash every time and ive got a decent setup.

cheers

Most larger studios will have either a custom tool written to shatter items, or use a plugin which can be bought. We use PullDownIt at our studio and we are fracturing some pretty dense stuff here, aside from the occasional crash it preforms very well. There are some scripts on creative crash which do a much better job at shattering than the default Maya shatter tool. I would start considering those if I were you.

brainycomp
05-26-2010, 02:05 PM
Thanks hkspowers. Ive got a few of the simple fracture scripts that are out there. Pulldownit is only for pc, im on a mac, so no pulldownit for me.

:sad:

I wonder what ILM and Digital Domain and all these companies use. id love to see that script!

cheers

HowardM
05-26-2010, 02:23 PM

cheers

Didnt you already post this a few weeks ago?

Big Studios have farms and hi end machines to handle most things and not crash, along with teams of programmers to write custom shatter tools, and plugins to handle replacements...

brainycomp
05-26-2010, 03:24 PM
I posted something similar a little while back but didnt get much response.

despite all the good points you mentioned about big studios, i still find it hard to believe that the average 3d animator cannot practice similar methods on a smaller scale.

i mean...at this point it doesnt seem like im going to find the answer im looking for.

so ill narrow it down to this:

what is the best way to manually cut up high res geometry? The SplitPolygon Tool? I hope not..

Venkman
05-26-2010, 03:48 PM
There are numerous voronoi shatter scripts all over the place for Maya. Some pay, some not. I'd do a couple of searches on those. It can make your life much simpler. :)

HowardM
05-26-2010, 04:08 PM
I posted something similar a little while back but didnt get much response.

despite all the good points you mentioned about big studios, i still find it hard to believe that the average 3d animator cannot practice similar methods on a smaller scale.

so why start a new thread? just bump the other one...

and yes, the average joe can do it, painstakingly, and slow... go for it ;)

make your hires model, break it into pieces, take each piece, make a dup, reduce, cleanup, or model low res from it... sim the low, wrap the high, repeat, done...

but im sure someone may help you, you need to be patient, and not post 20 posts asking how to do every single thing in maya... no offense ;)

brainycomp
05-27-2010, 04:40 PM
I wasn't sure how to bump my other post, sorry.

I think I know where the problem may be...

When modeling, I often mesh>combine objects together to make a single object. I just learned that when doing this, the vertices are still separate.

Could this be why I am having so much trouble shattering/fracturing my objects? Sometimes my geometry disappears when fracturing.

If this is the issue, how do I get around it? Do I have to merge each vertice manually?

ginodauri
05-28-2010, 07:00 PM
read this thread:

http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?f=86&t=437677&highlight=shatter

brainycomp
05-28-2010, 11:34 PM
thanks for the link. I'll check it out.

CGTalk Moderation
05-28-2010, 11:34 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.