PDA

View Full Version : Ncloth wont solve

bertjenkins
05-25-2010, 12:28 PM
Hi

I have had this problem in the past and its rearing it's ugly head with a vengeance. My Ncloth refuses to solve more and more in 2011. I've read the threads about this and checked through all the factors, but basically if I re-open a previous project I get absolutely nada from Ncloth. Then if i open a new scene, create a poly plane or cube and make it ncloth it doesn't react to anything, and the nucleus node is not visible. I shut down maya, restart, etc etc and no luck. Then suddenly it's back again, seemingly randomnly, you see the nucleus node and its up and running, reacting to default gravity. The only way i can get it to work seems to be if i restart about 3 or 4 times. Is this a 2011 thing? Is there a quicker way to get it back on its feet? I've got the new hotfix 1 installed.

sdserbos
05-25-2010, 07:19 PM
Sometime I have similar problems with nCloth when I am in single viewport mode. As soon as I switch to quad view everything works again. Not sure if it's a graphic card issue of just more stupid crap from Maya to waste my day. Also check your nucleus start time. Make sure it is set to before your current time.
Also check
Modify-> Evaluate Nodes->Evaluate All.
There's something screwed up in that menu. Even though all evaluations appear to be on, they really are not. All the usual Maya booby traps we all ....love.

Duncan
05-25-2010, 11:27 PM
Have you seen any messages suggesting you don't have a simulation license? Another user seems to be sporadically hitting on a similar issue. This message should never appear anymore because we no longer have the limited/unlimited versions of Maya(simulation should always be enabled if one has a valid Maya license), yet perhaps there is a problem with the license initialization under some condition.

Duncan

newnimator
05-26-2010, 01:37 AM
in my case, i only encounter that in syflex. I agree with Duncan, maybe you have license problem.

bertjenkins
05-26-2010, 01:46 PM
Thanks guys. V helpful.

I believe that it is a frame rate issue. If I interrchange frame rates in the settings between scenes from 24fps to 25fps then the frame range opens up at 1.04 rather than 1. I had not realised this would be an issue. Am I right in assuming that nucleus wont start solving unless you start from its stated start time or below?

I just assumed that opening a new scene and creating an ncloth object Maya would be able to work with whatever the frame range settings were?

Duncan
05-26-2010, 05:58 PM
If your new scene options are 25 fps and you create a new scene then your start frame will be 1 and you will be OK. If instead you change from 24 to 25 fps after opening a scene( even a new scene ) then the start frame will no longer be one because it retimes relative to zero.
Perhaps we should print a warning when simulating when the start frame for playback has a fractional component.... this is a fairly common confusion.

Duncan

bertjenkins
05-26-2010, 06:00 PM
Brilliant thanks. Once you know the logic behind it, it definitely takes away the pain!

CGTalk Moderation
05-26-2010, 06:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.