PDA

View Full Version : nParticles water is too blobby... need to create a natural realistic flow.

egglybagelface
05-23-2010, 05:48 AM
Hi I need to create water flowing out of a cup (real original huh!? :) )

The speed, weight and stickiness to other objects when it lands act pretty well but the "look" is not quite there. The motion is pretty fast, but all I can manage to recreate is an ugly lumpy blobby bulk of fluid. I like the loner blobbys that are on their own, eg. the splashes, but the main flow is too blobby. Water just doesn't flow like that. Its streaky. I've tried creating smaller particle radius and emit more particles to eliminate the blobby chunks, and that kinda works, along with changing others attribs, but the elegant streaking volumes just aren't there. The only attribute I can see which sounds like it has anything to do with recreating this effect is under nParticleShape... Output Mesh... "Motion Streak". No matter what adjustment I make it doesn't change a single pixel.

Realflow is looking really good about now. But I thought I'll give this a go fast.

SGIFreak
05-23-2010, 09:18 AM
maya is a good flexible software in many aspects and costs $3,495. realflow is only strong in realism simulation and costs $3,995.
do you understand me. maya becomes never so good simulation like in realflow
you can create with nparticle good looking water effects well enough for many animations.

animatedfox
05-23-2010, 01:34 PM
The slightly annoying bit about getting output mesh to do anything is that you first need to convert the nParticles to polygons (under the Modify > Convert menu)
This will create the mesh you have been looking for...and also give you a serious performance hit that you haven't been looking for.
I recommend doing some small scale tests to see how the output mesh attributes affect the mesh created. To get a high res fluid, I think you will get the most out of upping the max triangle resolution and lowering the mesh triangle size. The good way to go about this is to lower the size until you start getting the definition that you need...if the fluid starts to break up then add to your max triangle res. Finally add a couple of Smooting Iterations.
This isn't perfect...and will take a lot of patience...but you can get some pretty passable fluid sims out of this.
Hope this helps.
~Ben

egglybagelface
05-23-2010, 04:47 PM
I kept going playing with the settings and already did the things you said, and got some better results. I also knew of the conversion trick from nParticle to Poly, but it always made them disappear/hidden some where.... so I never looked further into it and just hit undo. Where do they go? The nodes are created fine and every setting related is visibility is turned on or checked.

egglybagelface
05-23-2010, 04:59 PM
And 5 minutes later I figure it out.

The BLOBBY RADIUS SCALE was too low.

Cheers guys.

SebKaine
05-23-2010, 06:37 PM
maybe this can help

http://area.autodesk.com/blogs/duncan/pouring_water_with_nparticles

but if you really nead more realism , realflow or blender will be the best options ...

SGIFreak
05-24-2010, 08:40 AM
maybe this can help

http://area.autodesk.com/blogs/duncan/pouring_water_with_nparticles

but if you really nead more realism , realflow or blender will be the best options ...

what blender ?

Aikiman
05-25-2010, 09:02 AM
Also Maya 2011 hides your particles after meshing procedure in order to speed simulation. If you want to make them visible again then under object display on the particle, turn off 'immediate object'.

CGTalk Moderation
05-25-2010, 09:02 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.