PDA

View Full Version : poseDeformer problem

nemeru
05-23-2010, 12:18 AM
Hey guys, so I have this scene in Maya 2011 (using posedeformer compiled by djx), and am doing character's poses for the shoulder.

I did the first 5 basic ones (default, down, front, back, up - all on 180 degrees) before rigging, and then I started on my rig. Now I need to add aditional poses for rotation of the arm.
(i have another set of bones driving the actual bound ones, and then the shoulder control shape, which i used to rotate it - could this be the problem? that in the PSD gui im saying the influence object is the orig. shoulder joint, which is driven by the control i actually 'influenced'?)

The prob is, that I rotate the shoulder -100 on X (which in my case is pointing down the joint) sculpt it, created a new pose for the shoulder PSD, and it didn't show. so I was like what the hell? and did it like 2 more times over again, to see if i didn't do something wrong.

I found out that if I switch the read-axis from X to Z, I get a better result (but still not the same as the one I sculpted), but when i return to my bind pose - rotationX 0, the geometry is stretched out like crazy in the shoulder, and my other poses which were fine, are affected by the deform it makes, and don't work right at all.

Can anyone shed some light on this? I need this rig done asap... Any help is much appreciated..

EDIT: so after thoroughly going through the tutorial on the PSD, I think I know what's going on - it thinks the pose is active 100% of the time, since it's still looking down the rotation axis. or at least I /think/ that that's the case. anyway, in this case - how do i do a nice rig of the shoulder rotating along it's axis?

djx
05-24-2010, 03:07 PM
You should keep the reader facing down the bone (usually x axis).
The trick is to edit the poseReader attributes.
Change the "Allow Twist" to 0
Then set the "Max Twist" to the value of the joint rotation when you made the pose.

The same confusing logic applies for "Allow Rotate" and "Allow Translate". They must be set to 0 to be considered as driving the poseDeformer. If they are set to 1 they can move freely without affecting the weight of the poses. By default only "Allow Rotate"=0, the others are 1.

David

nemeru
05-24-2010, 03:55 PM
it's actually not confusing at all, i dont know why would you think that :) it makes perfect sense from the name of the attrs :)

thanks again

r4inm4ker
08-16-2010, 04:06 AM
not directly related to the original post, i wonder how to apply more than one layers of PoseDeformer to an object? For example if you need to sculpt the hands, and then legs, i suppose you need different nodes applied to different joints, right? or it could be achieved with one poseDeformer node only?

Thanks,
Jefri.

edit : Ah, I found that you could connect a new poseDeformer on top of the last one through right-click on the poseDeformer field. Great to know that.

r4inm4ker
08-17-2010, 07:44 AM
Another question, is it possible to assign the poseDeformer to something other than joints? for example i have a bend deformer, i'd like to activate the modified pose when bend curvature is 10 and disable it when the curvature is 0.

Thanks!
Jefri.

xenoid
08-27-2010, 05:19 PM
You can use anything to drive the pose. By default, it is just created to have the poseReader driving the value. Just need to break the connections, have your own driver (making sure the final values range from 0 to 1), and connect it to the poseDeformer.

CGTalk Moderation
08-27-2010, 05:19 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.