PDA

View Full Version : FumeFX - Textures?

yanickha
05-22-2010, 10:36 AM
Hello
I'm very new to fumefx so sorry for this noobquestion.. I used maya fluids before for a few weeks.
I really like fumefx but I miss something like the texturing menu in maya fluids...

The only setting I can see is the map for smoke under rendering but when i add something like noise, swirl or smoke to it, it does not seem to have any effect.

So how can i give my smoke a texture? can i use afterburn for that?

NahuelL
05-22-2010, 01:34 PM
Hey Joel, you have to enable Fluid Mapping in the Simulation tab (at the bottom), then simulate and after it finished, in the Rendering tab, enable Fluid Mapping (in fire/smoke rollout) and add a map (noise, smoke, swirl, etc).

SoLiTuDe
05-22-2010, 04:36 PM
That's one of the things I miss about maya fluids as well. Fluid mapping is pretty much useless compared to the texturing in maya... however you can do much higher resolution sims to compensate for this, which is kind of what texturing is for in maya... to compensate for the lack of real resolution

andybyrne462
05-24-2010, 06:57 PM
Maya bases it's texture off of world coordinates, the same as picking a map in fume and setting it to xyz coordinates no?

SoLiTuDe
05-24-2010, 10:48 PM
^ I haven't played with it in a while, but I think there's more to it than that.

Houdini's got some nice options for 'fluid mapping' too.

CGTalk Moderation
05-24-2010, 10:48 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.