PDA

View Full Version : gaming board or graphics board?

amusedtoe
05-24-2002, 07:37 PM
ok well im looking to either hopefully buy or possibly build a new computer within the next 6 months hopefully. so anywho ive really been getting into cg and stuff since with any luck thats what ill be going to school for so i was thinking about getting something like a quadro or wildcat or a board for graphics work. but on the other hand im also a huge gamer which would lead me to buy a geforce card. now my question is i was wondering if any of the workstation boards do games well or what and vice versa with the geforces since i havent been able to find anything about that. so anything any of yall know about that and any personal recomendations would be much appreciated since thisll have to be the best investment i can make since itll have to last a few years. now to sit back and dream about the day where i can afford two decent computers with no worries :) (sorry bout my rambling babling :D )
-peace

ZrO-1
05-24-2002, 08:04 PM
If you're going to buy or buid a new computer. I'd make it a workstation with whatever pro card is the best in 6 months. Keep your old computer and use it for gaming. That's what I'd do.

3DMadness
05-24-2002, 10:39 PM
As you said you can't afford having two computers there, I'd suggest you getting a Quadro4 900XGL, it's based on a GeForce4 Ti4600 and will run really fast in games as well as pushing lots of polygons in your 3D app. ;)
Cheers! :beer:

3D Madness

Tellerve
05-26-2002, 04:50 AM
hehe, well I'd go for the opposite opinion and get just a regular 4600 as it'll do very close to the professional version and cost a considerable less that you can spend on faster processors, more ram or faster hard drives.

Tellerve

amusedtoe
05-26-2002, 12:47 PM
thx for the advice all since thats kinda what i figured with them both being able to do games and graphics pretty easy :thumbsup: but now i was also wondering if anyone knew they difference between the pentium 4 and xeon processors? thx again all:bounce:
-peace

ZrO-1
05-26-2002, 03:45 PM
That one is easy.

There are two main differences between the P4 and Xeon. The biggest difference is that the Xeon can run in SMP (dual CPU) and the P4 can't.
The other difference is the onboard features of the Xeon that the P4 doesn't have. Such as a larger L2 cash memory, on-die thermal regulation, and of course the most visable one the "surge protector" resistors (as I like to call them) that keep the CPU voltage stable.

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 06:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.