PDA

View Full Version : what is methods of diffuse scatter...

eathquaketry
05-21-2010, 03:06 PM
I am working with Vray from one year or so and i got nice renderings with it. and most times very very realstic. anyway i am trying to tell you that i am over intermediate stage with using it or i think so,
BUT when i knew that photon Map is a method of diffuse scattering i got shocked and felt like i dont know anything about Vray.
Is that mean irridiance map is a method of diffuse scattering?? i know that hsph and inter sampels control how many sampels reflect from surfaces and how to interpolate them with each other to create the GI.
i thought that all the primary bounces and secondary also just a solution of how the light will be scatterd. and the antialsing care about how to blind all the geo together like particels.
so what is methods of diffuse scattering?what is that all about?
hope that was not so conffusing, although it is because i feel like i dnot know ho to describe it to you also i feel like i know the answer but i am so confused and so sad for all of this time spended in Vray and still dont understand something like this.
thanks for your time.

playmesumch00ns
05-21-2010, 05:13 PM
I am working with Vray from one year or so and i got nice renderings with it. and most times very very realstic. anyway i am trying to tell you that i am over intermediate stage with using it or i think so,
BUT when i knew that photon Map is a method of diffuse scattering i got shocked and felt like i dont know anything about Vray.
Is that mean irridiance map is a method of diffuse scattering?? i know that hsph and inter sampels control how many sampels reflect from surfaces and how to interpolate them with each other to create the GI.
i thought that all the primary bounces and secondary also just a solution of how the light will be scatterd. and the antialsing care about how to blind all the geo together like particels.
so what is methods of diffuse scattering?what is that all about?
hope that was not so conffusing, although it is because i feel like i dnot know ho to describe it to you also i feel like i know the answer but i am so confused and so sad for all of this time spended in Vray and still dont understand something like this.
thanks for your time.

"Diffuse scattering" is one of those terms that could mean something different depending on the context. Do you have a link to the article where you read this?

"Scattering" is a term that just means that some kind of interaction is changing the direction of the light. This could be surface reflection or transmission (i.e. diffuse or glossy scattering), subsurface interactions, or interactions with a participating medium such as air.

From what you've written I'd hazard a guess that whatever you read was talking about photon mapping being one method for solving diffuse interreflection, and they just abused the terminology. Without reading it though it's hard to say.

CGTalk Moderation
05-21-2010, 05:13 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.