PDA

View Full Version : compositing with Maya

Bpanting
09-15-2003, 10:21 PM
This is my first attempt trying to composite an animation using Maya 4.0 and After Effects 6.0 Standard Edition, so if someone could tell me if I am doing this right or not. I am rendering out a background layer like a street corner. Then I am doing a shadow layer for that. these layers are single frame static backgrounds. Then I am rendering out color and shadow passes of my animated objects like cars or people. Then I am rendering out my paint effect layers. My problem is with getting the layering of these to work. Like I will have a car that will be behind the trees when I need it to be the opposite. Can anyone point me in the right direction on what I need to do.

oxyde
09-16-2003, 07:28 PM
Hi...
Could u post a pic of ur problem, then we can help u out.
Looks like u havent prepare ur stuff well.
If u understand, ur problem is about render ur background think about the compositing at same time.
if u want to put the car behind a tree u should render ur background in two part : 1)the tree 2)the rest of the bg
and if its just a footage u have to make some roto to isolate the tree, the car, the rest of the bg.
I hope that will help if its ur problem.

bye

Bpanting
09-16-2003, 07:41 PM
Yea I have been thinking about it for awhile now and I think I have figured it out. I just need to be aware what is going to be passing thru what and layer my renderings accordingly. Thanks for the help. :thumbsup:

izzylong
09-16-2003, 09:00 PM
Check out the "Use Background" shader in the docs.

I believe it is what you are looking for:)

CGTalk Moderation
01-16-2006, 04:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.