PDA

View Full Version : Here is my first run at 3d composite into live footage

Micah-H
05-20-2010, 07:25 PM
Final (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I_kcJPrrQwY)

Tracked in Boujou

Composited in Maya

What could I do to make this better besides the timing in of the walk cycle at the end

Guacomodo
05-21-2010, 08:01 PM
His legs are moving faster than the body moves forward, so the feed a sliding a bit on the ground.

Also a bit specularity would give it a bit of extra punch and the dark parts of the model should get some more blue tint.

Besides that already looks quite good.

DSW
05-22-2010, 12:10 AM
I think the legs are moving fine - there is no slippage as far as I can see. It's just an exaggerated walk that looks unusual, but it works fine. Good job IMO!

Guacomodo
05-22-2010, 01:22 AM
The feet do not stick to the ground. It is mostly visible at the beginning.

DSW
05-22-2010, 02:27 AM
Looks fine to me.

Micah-H
05-22-2010, 08:54 PM
no arguing in my thread please haha, the feet don't stick I need to fix the walk a little, my focus was mainly on the composite pipeline.

Ill play with the specular

thanks guys

Guacomodo
05-23-2010, 11:51 AM
A little fresnel reflection would also let it blend better with the background.

Also a tiny bit of blur might help. The model seems to look sharper than the background at that positition.
Did you render with motion blur? Does not seem so. You could render a motion vector pass to apply the blur in the post.

Micah-H
05-25-2010, 04:45 AM
Hey ive been looking for tutorials on how to add everything you mentioned, I got the motion blur figured out, I can't figure out the fresnel reflection, and for the specular do I change that in the shader options for the figure?

thanks micah

Guacomodo
05-25-2010, 07:58 PM
Fresnel is just the effect that reflections get stronger at angles pointing away from the camera.
I would first make the shaders specular. Blinn shader or phong.
Then you might add a light wrap effect in the compositing. But that only works if you compose the images in a progam like after effects.
http://www.trainingshell.com/view_tutorial.php?id=69

Micah-H
05-26-2010, 06:12 PM
hey georg thanks for that tutorial that was great. One thing I am wondering though is how to seperate the cg element from the background so I can only effect it for the light wrap?

do I render the walk cycle and export the camera from maya into after effects then just drop the movie in a layer behind?

thanks dude

Guacomodo
05-27-2010, 02:58 PM
You have to remove the background from your maya scene and render just your objects with alpha channel.
Later in the compositing program you load your footage and put your rendered images as a new layer on top of that.
This is the normal compositing workflow that gives you the most flexibility.
http://www.videocopilot.net/tutorials/
Here you can find a lot info about compositing.

CGTalk Moderation
05-27-2010, 02:58 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.