PDA

View Full Version : Fluids render really slow with a daylight system

Nachos101
05-20-2010, 09:15 AM
This is prob a stupid question, but I have a fluid sim of a dust devil right? And I am lighting it with a day light system. BUT!! it renders so so slowly nearly 10min a frame, I've lowwered the res of the container, Ive bumped my render settings down to draft,I've Cached the sim but still!!! :cry: Does anyone have some advice or a fix for my little problem. Thanks!

Phlok
05-20-2010, 04:30 PM
What do you mean by "daylight system"? And yes, fluids, especially high res ones render slowly.

tpalamar
05-20-2010, 05:29 PM
How are you lighting the fluid? Shadows heavily impact fluid render time. The Daylight system is raytraced. I would eliminate that from lighting your fluid and use the fluid's internal lighting. What version of Maya?

Duncan
05-21-2010, 12:07 AM
The resolution of the fluid does not affect the render speed so much, although the ray marching in the fluid is proportional to the resolution. Actually rendering a textured fluid can be slower than rendering a very high res untextured fluid. At any rate, lowering the shading quality attribute on the fluid will speed up the rendering. (although too low and you get dots) Also use a few lights as possible on the fluid. Avoid having the fluid visible in shadow and reflection rays to speed up the render as well. If you can, turn off real lights on the fluid node.

Duncan

CGTalk Moderation
05-21-2010, 12:07 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.