PDA

View Full Version : Maya Fur Question

comfortk
05-20-2010, 05:30 AM
Hey guys,

So I took it upon myself to learn maya fur through examples. I created a shot of a hill with grass on it. For the grass, I created 3 fur descriptions and I am currently rendering it out at 1920x1080 on a quad core 2.8ghz machine with 8gb of ram (the render process takes at most 800mb of memory).

The problem is, is that I am on hour 24 of just the beauty render (currently at 81%) and I still have lighting, depth and an RGB pass to go.

The quality isn't too insane with just the beauty pass being on "production" quality in MR. But, in order to get the grass to render out with depth and an RGB pass, I had to use a custom fur plugin called p_HairTK which forces me to use hair primitives as versus volume. I know this causes the render times to sky rocket.

Basically, my question is for the people who have used fur in real world production environments where deadlines play a crucial role.

How do you guys do it?

With the default attributes provided by Maya for fur, there's no room to break down the fur into passes. So I was forced to use a plugin and use hair primitives in order to control the fur the way I want to.

I am also using Maya 2011 and to my understanding, no version of shave and a haircut works for it... so that's out of the question.

I could have used alpha maps of grass and just layered it on top of each other for fast renders and easy control, but what if I had to have the grass moving around?

My main concern is that this whole experience will have me nay saying maya fur, and I believe that's a bad idea without first knowing how other people have handled the trials and tribulations of fur.

So, does anyone know of any fast workflows for fur or any viable work arounds?

kiryha
05-20-2010, 08:33 AM
Rendering fur with Mentalray:

1 Never, never use raytracing with fur, turn RAYTRACING OFF,and switch to RASTERIZER mode in MR globals. Set fur shader to hair PRIMITIVES in fur render settins.
2 Use spots with DETAIL SHADOWMAP. For main spot(Sun) use higer resolution map(2K and more) and small softnes (0.001-0.002), samples 16 and more, detail- samples 4 and more, acuracy -0.001, do not touch bias. For other spots(sky and secondary lighing fake) use smaller maps and biger softnes. This setting valid for character lighting, may be for enviroments you will need higher map resolutions and sample settings.
3 Use p_Hair_TK (http://www.djx.com.au/blog/2009/04/14/p_hairtk-p_hairtk_shadow-p_shader_replacer/) to control fur shading and p_MegaTK_pass to get passes for fur. There is a hint with Hair_TK: FurFeedback group must be on top of the geometry shader in outliner, and name of transform node of FurFeedback must starts fropm letter "p" (pGrassFeedback for example). Also i`m sure u can use p_HairTK and Deex shaders with Deex pass output system, but i did`nt tast it.

About fur motion:
1 You can use Hair system as attractor for fur motion.
2 You can use animated bimaps to control different fur attributes, such as inclanation, polar, roll.

comfortk
05-20-2010, 03:48 PM
Thanks Kiryah!

I'll try those settings as soon as I have the time

Thanks for the help!

SGIFreak
05-21-2010, 02:24 PM
@ kiryha

What are the setting for flicker free fur in animation ?

kiryha
05-21-2010, 03:31 PM
I describe those settins above:)
What flickering do u mean?
Fur can flicker by itself if you put smooth node on mesh. To avoid this turn off smoosth UV.
Shadows can flickers also, than rize shadow map samples.

tobbew
05-21-2010, 05:10 PM
In maya 2011 you can also use a more memory efficient way to render fur with the rasterizer. (Look in the manual or the threads for mr 3.8.)

SGIFreak
05-21-2010, 05:20 PM
I describe those settins above:)
What flickering do u mean?
Fur can flicker by itself if you put smooth node on mesh. To avoid this turn off smoosth UV.
Shadows can flickers also, than rize shadow map samples.

i mean the shadow flicker in rasterizer mode. when mental ray so sucks with fur then i use better software render without shadows.

kiryha
05-25-2010, 08:39 AM
Be sure, MR has more benefits than disadvantages compare to maya software render. Shadow flicker- rize shadow map samples.

CGTalk Moderation
05-25-2010, 08:39 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.