PDA

View Full Version : Amock: The French Student Film that Out-Cloverfields Cloverfield

RobertoOrtiz
05-20-2010, 03:35 AM
Guys check this out...and quickly come back here.

http://io9.com/5540951/amock-the-french-student-film-that-out+cloverfields-cloverfield
Would you guys are interested in a future project like this?

-R

grantmoore3d
05-20-2010, 02:05 PM
That was really good, I think it would be fun if we could do a challenge that included integrated CG into film. Perhaps someone with a decent camera and some friends who can act wouldn't mind filming a clip and making it available for us one day?

jimmy4d
05-20-2010, 04:18 PM
haha.I loved that.......that would be a blast. Very interesting to see what everyone would come up with. I think its a wonderful idea.

TheGrak
05-26-2010, 06:56 PM
I'd like to do some hardcore match-moving and roto, so I'm all about this future challenge. I've got a Canon 7D I could shoot some footage on for everyone. Here's the specs of what I can provide: 1920x1080p, 24fps, 40mb/s .H264 compressed .mov shot w/ 50mm f/1.8 lens.

RobertoOrtiz
05-27-2010, 02:27 PM
I'd like to do some hardcore match-moving and roto, so I'm all about this future challenge. I've got a Canon 7D I could shoot some footage on for everyone. Here's the specs of what I can provide: 1920x1080p, 24fps, 40mb/s .H264 compressed .mov shot w/ 50mm f/1.8 lens.
That is a great idea,
I can do matchmoving with no problems on my end, and provide some CORE models.

I have a friend who is an emmy award winner cinematographer, no promises, but let me see if he is willing to consult for us.

KielFiggins
05-27-2010, 05:04 PM
If the creature is bad ass, the scene tracked and the project in Maya, I may be able to get him movin around.

Keep me posted.

RobertoOrtiz
05-27-2010, 06:27 PM
i see no problem with animation files being handled in

either Maya or Softimage.

I guess we could move between multiapp pipelines by baking the animation to the objects.

TheGrak
05-27-2010, 08:43 PM
I'm excited about this :)

RobertoOrtiz
05-27-2010, 08:54 PM
Logistics is usually the issue with this kind of challenge.

And for some reason some CG artists are allergic to working with live action footage.
4 years ago (has it been that long?) we did a supoerpowers challenge, and frankly it nealy killed the forum.
http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?f=139&t=372274&highlight=superpowers (http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?f=139&t=372274&highlight=superpowers)

BUT
FXWARS Dracula's Castle went really well and CgTalk:FXWars! The Big Freeze/Blizzard Challenge:7 (http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?f=139&t=259629&highlight=big+freeze)
was a ton of fun.

Maybe we could do a Godzilla Tribute
(giant monster) or an Alternate History view of our cities.

-R

KielFiggins
05-27-2010, 09:09 PM
Godzilla!

Another childhood movie/show that changed how I watched every movie after.

RobertoOrtiz
05-27-2010, 09:34 PM
Ok the question is how to do Godzilla?

Cloverfiled Style?
Classic Godzilla?
1998 Godzilla?
Newscast style?

Do we follow one set of storyboards?
Or do we provide all the filmed elements?
What city should he stomp?
Do we have a lead?

TheGrak
05-27-2010, 09:49 PM
Cloverfiled Style? <that would be cool
Classic Godzilla? <maybe
1998 Godzilla? <maybe
Newscast style? <not sure?

Or do we provide all the filmed elements? <i'd say provide all the elements, including matte passes for foreground objects, and an assortment of tracked files for major 3d apps (Maya/XSI/Max/etc..). Basically, limit the amount of work to do to be mostly 3d modeling, animation, fx, and compositing of the elements. I think that would give more people time to focus on quality. Just my 2 cents :)

KielFiggins
05-27-2010, 10:06 PM
To keep it focused as a challenge and to make the voting a bit more even, I'd suggest:

-Shooting 3-5 videos of city scapes, close ups, ect.
-Tracking that footage (this could be tricky if the competitors used a different software)
-providing those files as the basis of the challenge

From there people could go nuts with their own designs or takes on the footage.

Also, keeping the clips shorter would help see more finished entires. Polising 10-15 seconds is far more approachable, rather than 45secs to 1 minute.

TheGrak
05-27-2010, 11:43 PM
Polising 10-15 seconds is far more approachable, rather than 45secs to 1 minute.

I agree 10 million times with this. :)

RobertoOrtiz
05-28-2010, 04:10 PM
Ok beside city plates, should we provide other assets?
Models of Helicopters?
Like Running masses? or people pointing at the sky?

TheGrak
05-28-2010, 06:27 PM
Ok beside city plates, should we provide other assets?
Models of Helicopters?
Like Running masses? or people pointing at the sky?

I think it would be good to shoot the footage with the idea of adding stuff into the background, so perhaps there could be live action actors pointing at the sky, or have a small group of people running away from _____ in the scene. This would need to be planned and probably storyboarded before hand. I would avoid adding in 3d people/3d running masses, instead opting to just use live action.

I think what Kiel mentioned is incredibly important - Maybe the clips could be no longer than 10 seconds a piece? We could shoot 4 - 5 shots @ 10 seconds a piece, then competitors have the option of choosing which piece of footage to work with. If we limited the entries to choosing and working with just one shot, and controlled the shots in a manner which produces professional results (HD, uncompressed, dolly camera, stabilized footage, tracked, matte passes, degrain, whatever/etc..), I think there would be a lot more entries, and a lot more quality completions. We could also do a hand-held cloverfield-type shot as well.

We could also shoot some footage on an iPhone (just joking, > rolling shutter issues).

If anyone has a RED camera just laying around, that'd probably be the best to shoot on.
Until then, I offer my 7D.

I can shoot and post some test footage if anyone wants to start messing around and planning out how this will work. :)

RobertoOrtiz
05-28-2010, 07:23 PM
Great ideas,
I have some footage I have shot in New York and here in DC, but not in thesame resoluton as a Red camera ( I have a simple Canon HV-20)

Thrasher
06-05-2010, 05:35 AM
I'd be totally down for this! I've been meaning get around doing something with match moving. Would be fun :arteest:

CGTalk Moderation
06-05-2010, 05:35 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.