PDA

View Full Version : 2D to 3D need advice

pixelbill
09-15-2003, 05:33 PM
Hi,

I'm thinking of moving from 2D to 3D but not sure which is the right 3D app to start.I tried most of the popular apps such as Maya,Max,4D,Lightwave ....most.I found out that from scratching the surfaces Maya seem to be complete e.g Fur,Paint Fx etc...but when it come to modelling,Lightwave tools set is amazing so I kind off confuse because of many issues for instance for employment wise which app is most likely to get me in the door?
Plus
*resources
*supports
*plugins
and so on....

Thanx for any recomendation :rolleyes:

eYadNesS
09-16-2003, 12:54 AM
Hi pixelbill,
Which app? This is my first question when I have started 3D...
First I have used 3D Studio Max, but I don't like it, I don't know why! Then I have changed to Alias Maya...

But really, don't put in your mind that app is better than app!
It's come from the ARTIST not from the app...

Anyway, don't take the resources, plugins and etc... take your mind...
Just choose on of this high app and start studing :)

:applause: Maya :applause:

mushroomgod
09-16-2003, 01:11 AM
im a maya/max user but if i had the chance to start again id go for lightwave...its cheeper than most but dont let that put you off

mbaldwin
09-16-2003, 06:17 PM
these type of questions tend to get squashed by admins--because they usually shallow out into partisan bickering.

it's still a valid question, though. The advice I'll give is more general: don't give up. 3d is a massive field, and all apps have their strengths and weaknesses. No app is going to be a perfect fit. Find an affordable, generally solid app. Definitely take all the free demos out for a spin--most come with pdf manuals.

On the user side, be prepared for a commitment to learn the software, and the underlying concepts(polygons, beziers, nurbs, subdivision surfaces, texturing, uv mapping, other vertex mappings, lighting, staging/composition, rigging, deformations, animation, rendering, compositing). I've found 3d to be a blast, but to be productive it's a commitment definitely on the scale of learning a musical instrument or foreign language. lastly, get up on one 3d app, but definitely learn another: When starting out, there's the danger of tunnel vision, buying too completely the way an app works as gospel. by picking up 2 apps, you can see the rational behind the tool and GUI decisions.

good luck, and remember to have fun!

-m.

CGTalk Moderation
01-16-2006, 04:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.