PDA

View Full Version : best quictime compression mode

royter
05-19-2010, 08:58 PM
am rendering a 3 min short and i want the final file to be a quictime file.
whats the best quicktime compression mode that keeps the movie playing fluidly at 24 fps and keeping the image quality high?

scrimski
05-19-2010, 10:09 PM
Much more important: what do you need it for?
H264 is OK for web upload, if you plan to output on DVD with Encode or the like go uncompressed. If you have to deliver to a client and need an alpha channel pick Animation codec.
There are a few more options if you plan to edit it further on but since you said it's final I guess you won't need them.

royter
05-19-2010, 10:39 PM
Much more important: what do you need it for?
H264 is OK for web upload, if you plan to output on DVD with Encode or the like go uncompressed. If you have to deliver to a client and need an alpha channel pick Animation codec.
There are a few more options if you plan to edit it further on but since you said it's final I guess you won't need them.

its for a demoreel dvd, no alpha channel.I need the best quality, but i want it to run fluidly and not clunkly.
whats' ENCODE? is it a software?

scrimski
05-20-2010, 12:10 AM
whats' ENCODE? is it a software?It's a typo(my mistake) and supposed to mean Encore which is a DVD authoring software.
http://www.adobe.com/products/premiere/encore/

There are others avalable like DVD Studio Pro or Toast(both Mac only).

suztv
05-21-2010, 04:01 PM
If you are creating an authored DVD - output your file to a DVD standard size (720x480 .9 PAR). Using Encore or DVD Studio Pro - import your footage, place it on your timeline - create the autoplay or use a menu interface, burn the DVD. The program will take care of the encoding.

However if you do not have either of those programs you can get by using various other programs out there - just Google it and you'll see what I mean.

High quality in a DVD? Probably not possible unless you plan on doing a Blu-Ray DVD even then, those videos are compressed using MPEG2. I think the limit for a standard DVD is 6200 KBPS, so there is no "High-Quality" when creating DVDs. The only thing you can do is use an uncompressed or slightly compressed file to start with before making the DVD.

http://www.m2solutionsinc.com/help/M2API/Filters/LEADMPEG2Encoder%282.0%29_UI.htm

rawshark
05-30-2010, 01:35 PM
Yeah, 'high quality' and 'DVD' don't really go together.
If you want to deliver a Quicktime that people can play on their computers then the Photo JPEG codec is a good quality/framerate/size compromise.
Try a quality setting of 75 and check 'optimize for streaming' option.

Swahn
06-01-2010, 10:59 AM
I'd say h264 has the best compability/quality/size ratio out there.
You can use freeware encoders like Mediacoder and encode at around 8000- to 10 000kbps to get good quality. As long as you don't encounter the infamous gamma bug you're fine, but that bug seemed to be a qicktime player issue and not a codec issue. I have encountered the same bug with PhotoJPG as well for example, but not of late. Perhaps they finally eliminated that bug. :applause:

Benz250
06-02-2010, 03:32 AM
hi
I want to ask for my Output that must be For Game or VCD with the best Quality .
my Import file is 1920*1440 with tga format , but i want to get a movie with 640*480 with the best Quality ( For Game or VCD ) .
my Setting is here :
Render Setting :
Quality : Best , Resolution : Half , Use OpenGL Renderer : Checked

OutPut Module Setting :
Format : QuckTime Movie , Compression Type : MPEG -4 Video , Compressor Quality : Best

What's ur Recommend ?
Thanks ,

danielHinton
06-04-2010, 03:19 PM
hi
I want to ask for my Output that must be For Game or VCD with the best Quality .
my Import file is 1920*1440 with tga format , but i want to get a movie with 640*480 with the best Quality ( For Game or VCD ) .
my Setting is here :
Render Setting :
Quality : Best , Resolution : Half , Use OpenGL Renderer : Checked

OutPut Module Setting :
Format : QuckTime Movie , Compression Type : MPEG -4 Video , Compressor Quality : Best

What's ur Recommend ?
Thanks ,

Are you asking if that's a good setting? If so, then yes.

Dan

CGTalk Moderation
06-04-2010, 03:19 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.