PDA

View Full Version : Search grouping

stoiQa
05-19-2010, 04:36 PM
Let`s say you have a scene with 20 objects. Ten are named X and the other Y. You do a search on the menu bar to get all the X elements, and ctrl A to select them. When you right click and Group all....they wont group under one null object :hmm:

mayajunky
05-19-2010, 04:40 PM
Not sure why that would be, but instead you could create a null first, do your search, select them all, exit search, then just find one of the highlighted nodes and drag it into your newly created null. The rest of the selected objects will follow.

Actually when I ctrl+A here on a search result it still selects the entire scene, so I'd just do a shift-select on the search result objects, which is the way I normally do it here. Ctrl+A doesn't get used at all in my workflow, but Shift-C sure does which is my hotkey for select children.

Yea Lucent's probably right, newly created null for your group is most likely just filtered still?

LucentDreams
05-19-2010, 04:48 PM
search filtering sadly only filters visiblity in the OM so the select all command still selects everything. When you group it is grouping everything you probably don't see that because the null would be filtered out. To do what you want, after filtering in the OM you will need to manually select all the objects with a rectangle selection instead of using select all, then group them, but the null still wont' be visible because it is being filtered out.

stoiQa
05-19-2010, 04:50 PM
search filtering sadly only filters visiblity in the OM so the select all command still selects everything. When you group it is grouping everything you probably don't see that because the null would be filtered out. To do what you want, after filtering in the OM you will need to manually select all the objects with a rectangle selection instead of using select all, then group them, but the null still wont' be visible because it is being filtered out.

Exactly what I needed, Thanks Kai!

Arjo
05-19-2010, 04:51 PM
Why not giving the new null a name that will show in the search filter? ;)

stoiQa
05-19-2010, 04:56 PM
Why not giving the new null a name that will show in the search filter? ;)
because is selecting all objects in the scene...tried that :))

CGTalk Moderation
05-19-2010, 04:56 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.