PDA

View Full Version : Alternatives for Maya rigid body dynamics in 2011?

Nebins
05-18-2010, 06:22 PM
Hey all!

As we all know rigid bodies in Maya are terrible so I'm looking for an alternative. I'm aware of plugins for older versions of maya but I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for Maya 2011 running on OS X. I have to do a pretty heavy simulation of a building being destroyed and I have a pretty quick turnaround. I was looking for something free as we don't have the budget to buy any software. Any suggestions?

mandark1011
05-18-2010, 07:55 PM
ive had a lot of success using ncloth for this type of effect. Its definitely not perfect but you can get some good detailed results fast. look on duncans blog for tutorial...coins bouncing.

rasamaya
05-19-2010, 02:42 PM
I would forget the old rigid techniques and stick with ncloth but to note, a lot of the time you don't need to add rigid(the ncloth attr)to your ncloth. That setting is really rigid. It really is quick to get a handle on. Way faster... You will have so much fun.

avillabon
05-19-2010, 04:36 PM
I made the switch to dynamica for my rigid body sims.

You might wnat to take a look at this thread right here:
http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?t=675357

Alex

Phlok
05-20-2010, 03:41 PM
RealFlow 5 (the latest release) has a very decent and new rigid body solver and it works really good together with Maya.

DynamicBoy
05-21-2010, 12:20 AM
When someones suggest buying realflow for more than 2000, adding all the painfull stuff of exporting/importing, it is clear for me there are not really alternatives for maya rigids in MAC OS.

I suggest purchase a windows license for just 200 and dual your mac so you can use all native plugins for Maya win, specially pulldownit, the 1.5 free version has just been released:

http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?f=59&t=882926

cheaper and better solution, dont you think?

Nebins
06-10-2010, 05:04 PM
The ncloth sim worked pretty well. I think I'll stick with that for now until we get a bit more of a budget and I can explore some other avenues. Thanks for the suggestions!

CGTalk Moderation
06-10-2010, 05:04 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.