PDA

View Full Version : Z-depth in Toxik

sekops
05-18-2010, 08:39 AM
Ok, i know this isnt a Toxik forum, but there doesnt seem to be one here in cgtalk.

But if anyone knows, and cares to indulge, how do I get Toxik to read my z-depths in my .iff? I cant seem to find the right node to do so.

Thanks

PiXeL_MoNKeY
05-18-2010, 08:44 PM
Do you not get access to the channels in the image input node? Also, what version of Toxik/Composite?

-Eric

sekops
05-18-2010, 11:38 PM
In the image input node, it does read it as a 32-bit image, and the details says it exists, but i cant seem to find that channel to pipe into anything.. (modulation image?)

Details: Channels=[R,G,B,A] Depth=[8] Tiled=[Yes] PixelRatio=[Not present]

To be honest im not a comper, rather Im a character TD, im trying to this for my reel, and this stuff is interesting to me.

ANyway, another questions, if u dont mind :)

I seem to get an edge when I comp my character over my environment, is it something to do with my gamma? (Ive gamma corrected my textures (,457) into my MR lens shader in maya)

Its Toxik 2010.

Oh another question... I think Ive stumbled into a node that can offset the RGB channels, but I can seem to find it, I trying to use it as a chromactic aberration type of effect.

Thanks Eric!
-Sekops

PiXeL_MoNKeY
05-19-2010, 10:27 PM
On the Image Import node do you see the Options Tab? Do you have any options beyond None? Second question Enable the Unpremultiply option in the Image Import tab. Not sure what you mean by the last question, if stumbled across the node how can you not find it?

Beyond that images may help,
-Eric

sekops
05-20-2010, 10:39 AM
The premult tab seems to work. Great!

The import Image option. I only get these options>
(i) None
(ii) Gamma
(iii) Rec. 709
(iv) sRGB

But I dont see a change when i flip between these. Should i just render a seperate pass?

PiXeL_MoNKeY
05-21-2010, 04:42 AM
Can you post an image of what is available on your options tab of the image input node?

-Eric

sekops
05-23-2010, 08:45 AM
Sorry, took a while, had to buy a PC keyboard to replace my stupid mac keyboard. Image is here.....

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_ZlfvIZ3n04M/S_jc4-m1TPI/AAAAAAAADLQ/nOg7rV8s6ww/s1600/toxik_fang.jpg

PiXeL_MoNKeY
05-24-2010, 11:23 PM
Hmmm...ok it appears that .EXR is going to be the best way to move forward. With .EXR you get direct access to the channels in the image import options. I can't find any info on how to get the data from .iff and don't have Maya to do any testing.

-Eric

jaygarrison3d
06-03-2010, 01:23 AM
While on the subject of Z-depth, any suggestions on the best way to composite your blur with it?

In After effects I would use the lens blur, or the frischluft lenscare plugin. I've seen ways to to blur based on grey value, but it's either blurry away from camera or towards camera, not focused in the middle.

Any techniques or ideas to share?

Lenscare claims to be ported to Toxik 64 bit on the mac, but I couldn't get it to show up.

sekops
06-03-2010, 02:02 AM
Yes, I recently found this out...

There is a lensBlur node, kinda works like a super node. You plug your Z-depth seqence into the modulation input, and control the blur w/ the offset and etc...

You can also control the aberation effect (by scaling the RGB channels) and other blur effects. and the modulation image is just a scalar value (B&W 0 to 1.0 or etc) of how much blurring you've inputed, in this case you use your B&W z-depth.

Honestly Im quite liking Toxik, its quite user-friendly for the amateur compositer.

its a shame it cant read a z-depth channel though.

PiXeL_MoNKeY
06-03-2010, 07:57 PM
its a shame it cant read a z-depth channel though.It can you just need to use the right format. If you use .EXR you shouldn't have any issues.

-Eric

sekops
06-04-2010, 12:11 AM
Hey Eric,

Actually i did try .exr but Maya doesnt render out files w/ z-depth within the same pass, and renames the z-depth to an odd naming convention that Toxik cant read as sequences. So it was useless for me...
So i just rendered the sequences, used fCheck to output the z-depth into .bmp
Quite annoying.

PiXeL_MoNKeY
06-04-2010, 04:04 AM
From what I have briefly read (http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?t=685001), Maya should embed the zdepth in an .exr. So the issues may be with the render engine or your output settings. I have only opened Maya about 3 times in my life, so I will really be no help on the Maya specific issues. I do know that once you use .exr you will get extra options to control which data of the .exr is fed to the image import node output.

NOTE: All info from here on out is from the 2011 Composite help and may differ in 2010.

There are some tools (http://download.autodesk.com/us/maya/2011help-composite/help/files/WS1a9193826455f5ff61d1e3e812435c7cb1b-55f1.htm) to help with importing the .exr channels. You should also have the options Tab and access to the .exr channels (http://download.autodesk.com/us/maya/2011help-composite/help/files/WSfc5bb05ff6a7c9ce-28c8b286120ed121afc-7ff3.htm).

Hope that helps some,
-Eric

sekops
06-04-2010, 04:40 AM
Excuse my ignornce, but whats the difference between Toxik and Composite?

PiXeL_MoNKeY
06-04-2010, 05:09 AM
Toxik was the standalone application, when it was removed as a standalone product and bundled with Maya (and now 3ds Max) it was rebranded as Composite. Composite 2010 was not fully rebranded (as you can see by Toxik still being all over the UI and help). 2011, and I am guessing any future releases, are probably going to be branded as Composite.

Hope that helps,
-Eric

sekops
06-04-2010, 05:28 AM
Aw thats great Eric, thanks heaps for ll the info.

CGTalk Moderation
06-04-2010, 05:28 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.