PDA

View Full Version : New compositing reel

Jacob1985
05-18-2010, 01:53 AM
Hey guys.. I accidentally posted this one under finished work but I was actually after some critiques.
Basically it's my first reel after 8 months of self study.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5--6ll1d3lI

I need your honest opinion.. don't go soft on me!
1. What's good enough What's not... (I know the water still needs work regarding their scale and look).
2. Do you think this is good enough to land me a job - even a starter position?
3. Copyrighted music - since this isn't commercial stuff, can I use this?

Thanks a lot and I'll look forward to hear your opinion on this.

flashgordy
05-18-2010, 01:48 PM
For me the best part is that with square

water looks like mud
; part with a guy in a toilet I suggest delete

as a whole -I dont like it
looks like a wedding video, maybe color correction helps

regards, and not be angry ;)

rezatayebi
05-18-2010, 02:15 PM
Hi Nadav

what`s good:
choice of music, good demonstration of each shot, the overall look of the third shot.

what`s not good:
water in first shot is not working. material and lighting looks too CG an the scale is really off. water drops that get in front of the camera should be blurred.

In second shot, the borders of the mask that you have created for the green screen area are very blurry.
but I think what really kills this shot is it`s long time and bad cg looking camera movement.

I like the third shot. if you give it a "film look" It will feel more professional.

Jacob1985
05-18-2010, 09:58 PM
Appreciate your remarks mates :)

I have a bit of work ahead of me I guess but I'll keep working on it.
I didn't understand what you meant by "the square"?

I'm gonna do the water part from the start. A friend of mine gave me a really cool idea that will add a lot to it and it needs to be done anyway. Second shot was a problem because the shadowed part of the green shirt didn't maintain good borders at all when keying it - I added shining rays from that matte to mask the problem.. It's not perfect but I think it looks better now. I'll try to add a stylized filmy look to the third shot see how it adds up.

Thanks it was helpful.

Kev3D
05-19-2010, 05:31 AM
Shot 3: (floating rocks etc.) is your strongest piece. The only thing that puts me off a bit is that the gray from the footpath looks like it's got a soft edge mask to blend it into the cliff. Even though it's a fantasy type scene, there should be a more realistic blend between concrete and cliff. I looked for 'road landslide' on Google images and found a bunch of pictures that would be great reference, here's one:

http://www.geology.ar.gov/images/landslide_road3.jpg

Shot 2: (toilet shirt) If you can't pull a clean key, what do you do? (hint it kinda rhymes with Robocop).

Shot 1: (intro) 'Demo Reel' text is a bit bland and doesn't really look like it's lit in the scene. As others have said, water doesn't look right. It looks like you bit off more than you could chew with that one. If you want to do some water simulation, try something a bit simpler that you can perfect. A torrent of water coming down a hallway is not simple and is quite difficult to get it to look convincing, you have to think about foam, small particles and large calculation times, etc.

Shot 4: (outro) The general rule of thumb is that the intro and outro should be kept very simple... or make it look awesome. Your outro looks like it's got a one click filter to give it that 'olde film' look, I'm pretty sure Quicktime even has this filter. Text animation doesn't really blow me away either.

PowderMonkey
05-21-2010, 05:32 AM
i feel that there's actually enough going on with the floating rocks shot, that if you really polish it, that is all you need on your reel. if you make it look really really great, and show the breakdown of the shot, it will stand on its own and really show what you can do.

mediocre work on your reel only detracts from the good stuff. it's better to have 20 seconds of awesome work than 60 seconds of mediocre work with some good stuff in there too.

20 seconds of awesome work will be remembered. if you put average stuff around it, the average stuff will be remembered, not the awesome stuff.

the floating rocks shot has a very solid foundation, and it won't take much to make it amazing. you have a very good base from which to build. put this work at the front of your reel, it is your best piece.

show the shot, spend more time showing the breakdown (2-3 times longer than what you currently have), and then show the shot again. i was looking at the same 3 seconds of footage over and over to try and see what you've done and it was a bit of a challenge, not only in trying to figure it out, but trying to pull together all the bits from across the whole reel. don't make me work for it, show it, stage by stage. it doesn't have to be sloooow, but it does need to be slower than what you currently have.

if you want to include more pieces on the reel, follow the same format - show the final shot, show the breakdown, and then the final shot again. don't resurrect shots later in the reel.

the titles are a bit kitsch. at the moment, i feel that they just take away from your reel.
if you want to integrate text into live action footage in your reel, i would suggest looking at the opening titles of speed, and panic room. i couldn't quickly find the titles for speed, but here are the titles for panic room:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5obuXHqHiL8
note how the text interacts with light and shadow, and is present in reflections. you don't have to have your titles showing in mirrors and things to show that you can do reflections, but if you show that you can place it so that it looks to be physically a part of the scene in which it lies, then you're doing very well. perspective, lighting and shadows are key.
the current ripple reveal and hand waving gimmick feel a bit out of place.

personal opinion: i don't like the music so much. this isn't a huge issue though, as it's more a matter of taste than it is a reflection of how well you do your job =)

don't worry about using copyrighted music on your reel. down the track, once you've been working, there will be other copyrighted material on your reel that you don't own the rights to either. you aren't selling it, and it's arguable that you are distributing it, so don't sweat it. if lawyers ask you to remove it, do so, but it's very unlikely that this will happen.

Jacob1985
05-21-2010, 09:12 PM
I owe it to you, these are really good tips!

I will try and improve the edge in the 3rd shot, 3d is not my thing but I will try to do it in a composting fashion.
2nd shot - Although it pains me (so much time over wire removal) I think you're kinda right.. I will see, if it cannot be improved - it will be removed...
1st shot - I will do another render for the reflections and shadows on the text, this is a good tip. I know the water looks awful at the moment :-) but I'm not gonna give up so easily... RF has been running 3 days straight.. with a train passing through... we'll see how it goes :-)

The ending title is not there to impress and it is for most parts just a plain filter (which is why I didn't bother showing a breakdown for it). I will try to smooth the movement up a bit though.. It's just instead of a blank screen with my details.

Thanks again for your help, I appreciate it a lot.

Jacob1985
06-23-2010, 06:09 AM
This is how it turned up. I really hope it's good enough because I'm not sure how I can improve it any more with what I've got.

www.nadavjacoby.com (http://vimeo.com/12785471)

Crits are more than welcomed!

CGTalk Moderation
06-23-2010, 06:09 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.