PDA

View Full Version : OpenEXR multichannel in CS5

cesboa
05-17-2010, 02:45 PM
Hi guys!

I'm having a little trouble with using exr files in our brand new After Effects CS5 :)

The ProEXR from fnord plugin dosen't seem to work in CS5, on Mac anyways. Could it be because it's now 64bit? If that's the case has anybody re-compiled the plugin? I have installed it exactly like on CS4 where it's working fine :(

Does anyone have any insider knowledge about the Adobes progress of a proper OpenEXR reader to After Effects and Photoshop that can actually read other channels than RGBA out of the box?! It should be the main feature of CS5 :)

Iaenic
05-17-2010, 04:20 PM
Unfortunatly since the plugin is 32bit, it won't work on CS5. Hopefully they will release an update to their plugins to make them CS5 compatible, but I'm not sure what kind of timeframe we might see that in.

ToddKopriva
05-17-2010, 04:21 PM
From your post, it seems that you're manually installing a separate plug-in.

After Effects CS5 comes with the EXR plug-ins from fnord. My guess is that your manual installation is overwriting the good plug-in with an out-of date version.

See this page:
"About 3D channel effects, including ProEXR effects"
(http://help.adobe.com/en_US/aftereffects/cs/using/WS3878526689cb91655866c1103a9d3c597-7bd8a.html)

Iaenic
05-17-2010, 04:38 PM
oooo, Didn't realise CS5 included it! Thats pretty sweet!

cesboa
05-17-2010, 09:17 PM
From your post, it seems that you're manually installing a separate plug-in.

After Effects CS5 comes with the EXR plug-ins from fnord. My guess is that your manual installation is overwriting the good plug-in with an out-of date version.

See this page:
"About 3D channel effects, including ProEXR effects"
(http://help.adobe.com/en_US/aftereffects/cs/using/WS3878526689cb91655866c1103a9d3c597-7bd8a.html)

Thanks for the help and time! But maybe I should me more precise in my post :)

I noticed that there is a OpenEXR plugin include in CS5 but it's very limited because as I write in the title: "Multichannel" (and in the post "that can actually read other channels than RGBA") is what I'm looking for - something the include EXR loader doesn't support (out of the box) - as there is written in the help file. To use multichannel, like depth or other custom frame buffer/passes I need a switch to take multi channel information from a render pass/buffer and put it in the RGB(A) channel which the only EXR channel After Effects understand. Exactly like the "ProEXR plug-ins, IDentifier and EXtractoR" that is described in the help page (you link to) gives access to. Actually the CS5 "About 3D Channel effects, including ProEXR effects" looks like a copy->paste from CS4 without Adobe even trying to see if the plugin work for the new version (That's okay, just don't link to fnord then).

I haven't tried "OpenEXR_channel_map.txt" trick because my passes is not always so straight forward as it would have me describe - like Mental Ray passes from Maya a depth pass could look something like this (from Nuke): CAMZ_DepthRemapped_RenderCam, another pass look like this CAMZ_CookieTopDollar_NannyCamABC (They hate that further down the pipeline ;) ).

So to be more clear, I'm missing the EXtractoR plugin or better - a native plugin from Adobe :)

Or have I overseen anything? Is there a way to "switch" exr channels (copy channel) in CS5, there was no native way in CS4. Again, any help is very much appreciated, it's keeping us from switching to After Effects CS5 entirely because our pipeline is heavily relying on multi channel EXR for our render passes.

cesboa
05-18-2010, 04:02 PM
Does no one have any information on exr multichannel in After Effects CS5?

Mylenium
05-19-2010, 05:43 AM
I really don't know what the fuss is about. There have been no changes in EXR handling in CS5 compared to CS4. The rest is beside the point - AE simply doesn't support arbitrary channels like Nuke and other compositing packages. This goes way beyond just constructing a plug-in of sorts.

Mylenium

fnordware
05-19-2010, 07:08 AM
Right, as Mylenium said, After Effects CS5 (and CS4) ship with the ProEXR plug-ins already and can handle a multi-channel EXR out of the box. I'm happy to clear up any confusion you may have with them. It might help if you download the sample EXR and project from the bottom of this page:

http://www.fnordware.com/OpenEXR/

Once the channels are brought into AE, you are limited to your typical RGBA buffer, but usually this is enough to do whatever you need to. If you have an unusual situation, post it.

Brendan
(ProEXR author)

cesboa
05-19-2010, 10:01 AM
No fuss!! So to keep it simple: just fnord's EXtractoR plugin that works in CS5 would be nice. I don't believe that I'm the only one curious about proper EXR support in After Effects.

ToddKopriva
05-19-2010, 04:32 PM
Here's fnord's announcement about what's included with After Effects CS5:
http://fnordware.blogspot.com/2010/05/proexr-15-released.html

cesboa
05-19-2010, 06:06 PM
OOOhh ToddKopriva thats great news, thank you very much for this information :)

This issue/thread should be resolved now! :bowdown:

CGTalk Moderation
05-19-2010, 06:06 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.