PDA

View Full Version : Vray & Backburner

Kinematics
05-17-2010, 09:21 AM
Okay, I've looked around the forums but can't find any good info on this so i've decided to start the post.

I think the term distributed rendering is confusing me as well. In V-ray, distributed rendering means breaking up a single image into buckets and rendering it over a network right? The confusion for me comes when distributed rendering also seems to mean rendering an animation over a renderfarm.

Anyway, with one license of V-ray for Maya plugin, one gets 10 standalone slave renders. If i export the scene as a .vrscene. How do I go about rendering on these 10 machines? Can I use backburner instead of deadline as I don't want to increase the expenditure.

How do I submit a .vrscene to backburner if it works? Please be detailed if command line is involved. Thanks guys.

cgbeige
05-17-2010, 02:44 PM
hah - good luck with that.

just use a shell script - Backburner and V-Ray has been a problem for me and I doubt you'll be able to get it to play well with a distributed network render and vrscenes.

Kinematics
05-17-2010, 05:58 PM
Oh thats sad =( Thanks for the heads up though, least I can stop banging against a break wall.

When you say shell script. Were you referring to a .bat file and I just go to each individual computer to render a certain number of frames?

@Cgbeige so sorry but could you elaborate more on how do you go about taking advantage of the 10 stand alone licenses without using additional software like backburner? How do you find converting files to .vrscene? Isit worth it or usually takes way too long to be worth the trouble? Just getting a feel of what kind of workflow I should be working towards here.

Thanks man

cgbeige
05-17-2010, 07:55 PM
I don't use it since I do everything on one machine. Is it needed for network renders? Ya, a render script would be a .bat file in Windows. If you want a double clickable command for OS X, just append ".command" to the name. you might also have to set executable permissions too (chmod +x /path/to/file.command)

Kinematics
05-18-2010, 03:18 PM
Oh sorry, i've been using Windows since bootcamp but forgot to update my signature. (I love using the mac just that a lot of plugins gave us issues so we standardized it all). Do you know the specific windows codes?

I made a mistake and posted on the "maya for vray" thread as well. Hope you dont mind cgbiege ;)

And thanks for the info

Hamburger
05-19-2010, 04:10 AM
Is this your thread?

http://www.chaosgroup.com/forums/vbulletin/showthread.php?49608-Backburner-Maya-amp-Vray&p=427879#post427879

If not this will answer your question regarding backburner.

CGTalk Moderation
05-19-2010, 04:10 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.