PDA

View Full Version : Mental Ray won't fully render when filesize gets larger.

WarnerBrown
05-17-2010, 05:21 AM
Hey guys, any computer upgrade suggestions?

What I've noticed is when a Maya project file gets to be 7MB or more in size, rendering of a mental ray image stops when it's quarter render on a first pass.

specs: I'm running Autodesk Maya 2010 on an older Dell 8200 desktop, Win XP, Pentium 4, 2.40Ghz, 512 RAM with NVIDIA GeForce MX420 Graphics card.

What alone can solve this? Increasing RAM, or a super good graphics card.. Which would you place priority on over the other? If you also have suggestions for the best bang for my buck let me know too!
Thanks so much in advance for any of your help.

-Warner
---------------------
separate note: I also have a separate newer labtop I'm downgrading to XP, I'm thinking about creating a small render farm, but that's another technical deal I have to look into.

Kinematics
05-17-2010, 08:43 AM
Is the 512mb ram your graphic cards ram? Cause 512mb for computer ram is extremely extremely limited by todays standards. I've had scene files at about 700++mb each and takes 30min to open but still renders fine though I have 6gb of ram.

I'd suggest putting money on your ram if that is the case.

sentry66
05-17-2010, 08:46 AM
lol at using maya with a machine with 512 megs of ram...wow. Even 10 years ago that would have almost been a questionable amount of ram to use with maya.

It's probably about time to upgrade the old computer. It's not worth upgrading an old P4 system. You're better off getting down to Best Buy and picking up any cheap $300 computer and step into the modern era of computing with a 64 bit OS and 3+gigs of ram

WarnerBrown
05-17-2010, 10:20 PM
Is the 512mb ram your graphic cards ram? Cause 512mb for computer ram is extremely extremely limited by todays standards. I've had scene files at about 700++mb each and takes 30min to open but still renders fine though I have 6gb of ram.

I'd suggest putting money on your ram if that is the case.

Yep and before I was running maya 8.5 on a powerbook G4. It could handle bigger files but rendered very slowly. PC is just the way to go for me. 700mbs, i can't imagine, 10mb is massive to me. I will have to upgrade then.

WarnerBrown
05-17-2010, 10:24 PM
lol at using maya with a machine with 512 megs of ram...wow. Even 10 years ago that would have almost been a questionable amount of ram to use with maya.

It's probably about time to upgrade the old computer. It's not worth upgrading an old P4 system. You're better off getting down to Best Buy and picking up any cheap $300 computer and step into the modern era of computing with a 64 bit OS and 3+gigs of ram

Maya works pretty smoothly on it actually, until filesizes get bigger. It crashes when I load an HDRI file larger than 10MB also.

Thanks for the suggestion. I think that is the way to go. I found This on bestbuy (http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Asus+-+Factory-Refurbished+Essentio+Desktop+with+Intel%26%23174%3B+Pentium%26%23174%3B+Processor/9917376.p?id=1218194636481&skuId=9917376)
with 6GB RAM for $369, good deal, but the graphics card isn't great.if it can handle mental ray thats all that matters.

Would Maya rendering on a 64 bit windows XP be faster than 32 bit?

sentry66
05-19-2010, 11:30 PM
yeah that sorta thing, though I'm always skeptical of a refurbished PC with just a 90 day warranty...

Dell and Gateway are probably worth looking into or keep an eye on http://bensbargains.net or similar sites for any good deals that come up.

I'm not sure if 64 bit maya is faster at rendering than 32 bit maya because I've never done a back to back comparison. Once I started using a 64 bit OS on a new 64 bit machine, I didn't bother loading 32 bit maya to compare. Maybe it's slightly faster, but I don't think it's anything significant if it even is faster to begin with. The main thing is you can work with more memory

InfernalDarkness
05-20-2010, 07:31 PM
64-bit isn't faster, by any means, except in a few specific instances. Like, dealing with instances. It's infinitely faster when dealing with large scenes, as the scenes won't render at all on 32-bit setups...

Most of my scenes wouldn't even open on that computer. Or a pre-Maya 2011 Mac for example.

64-bit simply lets you access RAM past 4GB. And for today's world, that's pretty much a necessity.

CGTalk Moderation
05-20-2010, 07:31 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.