PDA

View Full Version : Octane Renderer

SheepFactory
05-16-2010, 08:21 AM
Time to have a dedicated thread for Octane.

What is Octane?

Octane Render is the world's first GPU based, un-biased, physically based renderer. What does that mean? It uses the video card in your computer to render photorealistic results fast...really fast. This allows the user to create stunning works in a fraction of the time of traditional CPU based renderers.

Yet, to date no other software makes use of it in the way that Octane does. With a single, modern, GPU you can typically expect to see a 1000%-5000% (10X to 50X) speed increase over a typical un-biased, CPU based renderer.

http://www.refractivesoftware.com/

--

I have bought a license last friday and really enjoying the speed and quality. It is not even V1 yet but certainly capable. I would encourage everyone to check out the demo and see for yourself.

Kabab
05-16-2010, 10:17 AM
OpenCL support would be great only thing stopping me buying it is my ATI video card :/

lazzhar
05-16-2010, 11:21 AM
Yeah,I was trying for few days now and it's really impressive.

The direct lighting mode seems only using ambient occlusion , no color bleeding happening. You need to switch to Pathtracing to get proper lighting, which is slower, but still very nice piece of software.

irwit
05-16-2010, 11:50 AM
Can anyone tell me what advantages this renderer has over other realtime renderers that have popped up over the last few months such as furryball, vred, mach studio etc ?

Have to say from what I have seen it looks really impressive but not something I could see I would use for an image instead of a traditional renderer.

Kabab
05-16-2010, 01:09 PM
Can anyone tell me what advantages this renderer has over other realtime renderers that have popped up over the last few months such as furryball, vred, mach studio etc ?

Have to say from what I have seen it looks really impressive but not something I could see I would use for an image instead of a traditional renderer.Rasteriser vs raytracer basically..

Exo7
05-16-2010, 01:38 PM
You can't do unrealistic shading, photorealism is almost given out if you got a decent scene. Overall setup is easy, and quickly done. And quickly done. And quickly done.

This is generally true for all "unbiased" renderers.

cgbeige
05-16-2010, 03:54 PM

Have to say from what I have seen it looks really impressive but not something I could see I would use for an image instead of a traditional renderer.

it's 90 euros, it's unbiased and, even in beta, the support has proven to be stellar. It's more of a turntable renderer at this stage and I would expect it to take a long time to get something like IES lights but the quality and speed is very good. The really nice thing is the tonemapping has camera response presets, so you get treated images without having to do a ton of post. I wouldn't say it would replace your workhorse renderer but when you need to whip up a visualization for someone, this could be the one you reach for since it's so fast and high-quality.

I asked about OpenCL and Terrence (the main brain) said he looked into it but it was too slow, which is odd considering V-Ray RT moved from CUDA to OpenCL, presumably without a performance hit. He said it could happen later since it's relatively easy thanks to the similar code.

xtrm3d
05-16-2010, 07:33 PM
i for one .. i am not the type of person to go crazy about a new tool , but with octane i decided to make an exception .
i looooove it !!!
very limited at this point in time but very promising
as an artist i do not care much for all the technical aspect ( even if i have a deep understanding of those )

a picture talk more than a long list of technical features
check their gallery
http://www.refractivesoftware.com/gallery.html

the iron man that was on the front page here at cgtalk a couples of days ago .. have also been rendered in octane and such is the pyro .. ( you might want to check my cgportfolio for big rendering )

cgbeige
05-28-2010, 03:33 PM
FYI - for anyone wanting to get Octane, there's a special promo price of 50 euros:

This offer is valid from Friday 28 May 2010 and ends at midnight on Friday
4 June 2010. (all times are in CET)

This is the best 50+ bucks you'll ever spend. This software gets better by the week.

SheepFactory
05-29-2010, 02:22 AM
For 50 euros its a no brainer. It was already a insanely good deal at 99 euros.

KG
06-15-2010, 03:28 AM
Grabbed it at 49euros. What a deal! This thing makes setting up the render very easy!

CGTalk Moderation
06-15-2010, 03:28 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.