PDA

View Full Version : General FILE MANAGMENT Thread

ilasolomon
09-14-2003, 11:05 PM
Hi fellas, here we go, from now every file would be named like this before get uploaded to the ftp server:

[Subject]_[Creator]_[Version#]_[(Comment)].ext

for example:

alien1_ila_012b_(fbx).zip

or

Alien#01_ILASOLOMON_31a2X_(Textured_rigged_readytoanimate_maya4.5).rar

Better not to use Capital Letters in the file name, just if you have to. I highly recomend not to use space or - in the file name, just _
Also I recommend of using WinZip or WinRar file compressors, and QuickTime Mov Soronson 3 for animations. (zipped afterward)

Is it OK? any opinion?

Aearon
09-14-2003, 11:38 PM
hey my "ship22b_fbx.zip" was already almost right ;)

good call ila, no suggestions from me, as far as filenames go.

i think we should take this a little further though and establish some object naming convention (woah that sounds fancy)

once we put everything together for the individual shots we'll get in trouble if it's no named right. the characters and models should all get a name prefix.

i've used something like this on my models(they are, afterall, non-organic models with lots of seperate objects, so they require some clear naming.. character rigs are just the same though)

[modelname].[part]_[subpart]_[...]

examples:
spaceship.steeringColumn_button1

or

alien01.eye_bottomLeft

and also things like this:

trailerpark_props.tree879b_tall

what's left of the dot(.) indicates the model, everything after that the different parts of that model, the underscores indicate hierarchy sublevels or sub-parts or certain properties like the 'bottomLeft' and 'tall in my examples'.

ila is on to something here. everybody don't think this is trivial :beer:

ilasolomon
09-15-2003, 09:55 AM
aha, yes the sub-object naming:

I agree with your naming rule. It's clear. so let's go: for naming parts of the scene and objects: (simpler)

[Model Name]_[Part Name]_[Direction/SubPart]_[##]

like:

alien1_arm_upperleft
alien1hirez_cloth_shirt
alien1lowrez_eye_middle
shiplowrez_lamp_frontleft_1

about joints, if we want to use aniMan then it has its naming routin.

unLevel
09-15-2003, 05:01 PM
or we could just make more folders to organize....:p

btw, does anyone want to volunteer to clean out useless things? Kirt?

I'm not really sure what stays and what needs to go, if anything...

Just wondering....

Aearon
09-15-2003, 05:11 PM
unlevel actually i think we don't need more folders, we need less ;)

it's probably more useful to have models / animations / maps folders and have everything clearly named.. rather than have seperate directories for every little model.

unLevel
09-15-2003, 05:13 PM
oh...I was kinda told to do it that way...

fist, have you got a better idea? pm me some more info on directory structure (cause I sitnk at it) and I'll see what I can do...

Aearon
09-15-2003, 05:25 PM
that's just a personal opinion unlevel. don't change anything just yet... it's not too important anyway right now ;)

all i'm saying is that once we have all models and map files clearly named there's probably no need to keep every model in it's own folder.

vertex
12-07-2003, 02:48 AM
-- Moved to General Thread --

CGTalk Moderation
01-16-2006, 03:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.