PDA

View Full Version : posedeformer calculates forever

MrMint
05-15-2010, 09:21 AM
Has anyone faced this probleme before?
My character has about 5000 vertices. Not really much but after applying the third poseDeformer for the clavical (the other 2 were for the hips) its taking forever to calculate the pose. As there is no error message I have no clue where to begin searching (beside the obvious "poseDeformer, problem"-google search etc.)

djx
05-15-2010, 01:23 PM
All I can say, without seeing your mesh and skeleton, is that I often use poseDeformer with many deformers and poseReaders and have found it to be quick and stable. It does take longer to calculate when you increase the number of deformers, but never forever.
If you are able to send me your scene I'd be happy to take a look.

David

MrMint
05-16-2010, 06:24 AM
Thank you David for your offer. Really appreciated.
I have continued playing around and figured out that I have always forgotten the step to delete the mirrorData-node.Haven`t thought that this will have such an impact, but now its working.

But if it should work even with the mirrorData-node then I can send you the scene, no problem with that. And by the way let me take the chance to say thank you very much for compiling this great plugin.
Haven`t thought it would be that fast.

DerWoDaSo
05-28-2010, 02:08 PM
Hey, I got some performance problems here too. My main problem is, that I got a single mesh for the whole character (nude), so I have to apply multiple poseDeformers, one for each joint, right?

My mesh has about 45k vertices and right now I have about 16 poseDeformer applied... and it's getting really slow now. Is there anything I could do to increase the performance, besides temporally deactivating some of the deformers?

nemeru
05-29-2010, 07:50 AM
Faced same issue, but figured it out (thanks to Carlo Sansonetti's tutorial, haha...) when you select the geo in PSD, next to the pose deformer (2nd line) there's the "edit-mem" button. press it, and then you can select the verticles the mentioned PSD is influencing. It speeded up my char a lot, and also the "create" button doesn't make me go take a nap, haha...
the thing is, PSD thinks every single vert is influenced by it, so it calculates it all. My guess is, the most verts you have on your head and fingers and such, well, these are most likely not to be influenced by the PSD say on your shoulder, so there's nop point in the PSD calculating them. just deselect them while in the edit-mem mode, and it's all good. it takes out so much calculations off of the PSD, you'll see the result immediately.
Anyway, i found PSD inefficient in the shoulder region, so right now i'm exploring the muscle stuff. have a deadline on the animation by 20 june, anybody know if it's possible to make it? im new to maya, but am learning fast ^^ hope it is, else i'm screwed, haha...
djx if you'd like to share your experience with PSD in the shoulder region, i'd appreciate it a lot, since it's the most troublesome area and i'm kinda stressed out by the deadline ^^

CGTalk Moderation
05-29-2010, 07:50 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.