PDA

View Full Version : Issues with the skeleton and nurb controls

VanillaShakes
05-15-2010, 05:38 AM
I'm still just learning how to do this stuff...But I need to figure out the issue. I'm trying to orient-constraint my NURBS controls to my joints on my character (I'm being told to do so by my instructor), but the transform tool always stays on the control rather than the joints it's controlling. It also only let's me rotate it, not translate it. Does anyone know what minor mistake it is that I keep making.

EDIT: Here are two picture references, in case what I'm saying makes no sense. The first one is the one that I'm attempting to do, and the second one is the sample I was given.

http://i43.tinypic.com/1zwjadl.png

http://i44.tinypic.com/10mnbq0.png

GeoffClark
05-16-2010, 04:23 PM
If I understand correctly, The pivot of the nurbs circle needs to be moved to the joint it is controlling. with the circle selected, hit the insert key, and drag the pivot over to the joint while holding v.

The translate may not work if the circle's translates are locked. when you are in move mode are the arrows of the manipulator greyed out? If so, unlock the attributes.

It also may be that you have mistakenly placed a constraint on the circle (a point or a parent). If that was the case, you'd see the constraint below the channel box. Never constrain your controllers if you can help it.

Hope this helps.

VanillaShakes
05-16-2010, 08:00 PM
That seemed to work with the pivots

VanillaShakes
05-16-2010, 08:16 PM
The pivot worked out just fine, thanks a bunch. But I still can't seem to get the translator going, or if I do use the translator, it moves the circle alone. Nothing is locked up, and the channel box doesn't display any constraints I put on the circle. Do you know of any other possibilities that might be causing it to not work?

Darksuit
05-17-2010, 02:49 PM
if you just setting up FK controls you can simply parent the Joints to the Controls. This works just fine.

If you setting up otherwise. You can use PARENT Constraint (Translate and Rotate) on your Root Control, HandIK control, Foot Control. Then PARENT Constraint (Rotate) for the rest of the control.

Why not Orient Constraint...

From the Maya Character Setup book, Maya 2.0 Edition. Page 459-460.

Quote:

Understanding Orient Constraints

An orient constraint matches the orientation of one object to one or more other objects. This Constraint is useful for making several objects orient simultaneously. For expample, you can make a group of characters all look in the same direction at the same time by animating one characters head and then constraining all the other character's heads to the head you've just animated.

VanillaShakes
05-17-2010, 09:31 PM
Alright, it helped completely. Thanks a bunch, I really appreciate it :)

CGTalk Moderation
05-17-2010, 09:31 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.