PDA

View Full Version : MR Batch Render Memory usage issue

hellspawned
05-15-2010, 02:28 AM
I'm rendering a scene, its quite a long animation, 900 frames, rendered into a sequence of tif images, and every frame finished seems to up the Mayabatch process' memory usage another 50+ mb. As the render progresses, it will eventually, before being finished, come to a point where there is no memory left, and shut down.

Why is it taking up more and more memory as it goes along, and how do i stop it from doing that or force it to store temporary data (I assume that's the memory thief) on disc instead of on RAM?

Another couple of things I've noticed:

1: I rendered this scene earlier, with the only difference that I didnt have the fast smooth (3-key smooth) on a certain poly object (5000-odd polys unsmoothed), and it didnt take nearly as much memory then. Is this fast-smooth much worse than classic smooth, where the mesh is actually full-out subdivided, when it comes to memory optimization of animated meshes?

2: The batch render takes up towards 5 to 10 minutes to start. Is this somehow connected to my memory issues?

Edit: When this issue first appeared, after i applied the fast-smooth, I converted all my textures, which were jpg's, into .map files, after having that suggested to me since supposedly MR handles them much better than jpg's. So recommending that is wasting both my and your time, already done, didn't quite sort the problem out. :P

cgbeige
05-15-2010, 03:03 AM
what version of Maya are you using? I think there was a memory flushing problem in the past. One option is to render the batch as separate jobs. Maybe split them up into sets of 30 if you can't figure it out. Or just use something like Deadline to make a job queue.

hellspawned
05-15-2010, 03:06 AM
It's Maya 2009 i use, though i have a trial version of 2011 at hand. Perhaps its time to break that in and batchrender from there.

CGTalk Moderation
05-15-2010, 03:06 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.