PDA

View Full Version : Best approach for clean, distributed quads on organic modeling?

MAXNib
05-14-2010, 10:51 AM
http://img25.imageshack.us/img25/852/70762648.png

This model from a tutorial here has inspired me to clean up my organic modeling, not only because smoothing algorithms produce better results with distributed quads but it also makes the base geometry look much more professional.

How does one start and end up with such quality of mesh? Any tutorials or articles on this (I use 3DSM2010) would be appreciated too.

spiralof5
05-17-2010, 03:55 AM
There is a wealth of knowledge and a very great learning center right here on this forum!

I don't have the links but if you just search for correct topology, or go over to the subD forums, there are lots of awesome links there.

There is also a really awesome post about tools from toontje on blender forums. It goes beyond blender or maya or softimage so don't let that since it's in a blender forum that these are not practices you can learn from.

http://blenderartists.org/forum/showthread.php?t=93651

MAXNib
05-17-2010, 10:04 AM
There is a wealth of knowledge and a very great learning center right here on this forum!

I don't have the links but if you just search for correct topology, or go over to the subD forums, there are lots of awesome links there.

There is also a really awesome post about tools from toontje on blender forums. It goes beyond blender or maya or softimage so don't let that since it's in a blender forum that these are not practices you can learn from.

http://blenderartists.org/forum/showthread.php?t=93651Firstly thank you for your help. Secondly, could you point me in more directions I should be looking at (also where is this forums SubD forum?) - I really appreciate it. I'm checking out the links as we speak.

spiralof5
05-24-2010, 04:56 AM
http://www.subdivisionmodeling.com/forums/

Start there.

I'll dig around for the information on here tomorrow.

redpandafire
06-19-2010, 01:58 PM
The subdivision forum seems to have great user-made tutorials, BUT the links are broken to the images!

I wish there were books explaining this problem. I'm a 2D artist looking to transfer what I know from anatomy onto a 3D model, but my modelling approach is chaotic. Would love to learn how to approach professional topology.

rtrska
06-25-2010, 07:00 PM
If you're finding that direct subdiv modeling is resulting in chaotic geometry, you could try a different approach. Try building your character in zbrush, or sculptris. Don't worry about edgeloops and technical issues at this point, just focus on getting the shape right.

Once you're done, use a retopology tool like topogun, or the stuff that's built into blender. Its in the retopologizing stage that you can focus 100% on proper edge loops, and evenly distributed quads.

Since you've already got the shape down, you're not chasing 2 goals, and can focus in on getting the best result possible in each phase.

Doomc
06-29-2010, 01:08 AM
Hey, I'm new to modeling and would like to know more about this as well :)

redpandafire
06-29-2010, 02:48 AM
If you're finding that direct subdiv modeling is resulting in chaotic geometry, you could try a different approach. Try building your character in zbrush, or sculptris. Don't worry about edgeloops and technical issues at this point, just focus on getting the shape right.

Once you're done, use a retopology tool like topogun, or the stuff that's built into blender. Its in the retopologizing stage that you can focus 100% on proper edge loops, and evenly distributed quads.

Since you've already got the shape down, you're not chasing 2 goals, and can focus in on getting the best result possible in each phase.

Thanks! Its good to know there are other ways of building the model!

madden
07-16-2010, 12:32 PM
I know with Maya if you convert to sub d's then convert back to polys it smooths my topology out great, I beleive it increases the polycount though.

CGTalk Moderation
07-16-2010, 12:32 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.