PDA

View Full Version : Best College

entrancea
05-14-2010, 03:45 AM
Hey Everyone....Now I know you guys must receive this question a lot but as an International Student I am trying to find an answer and so am asking around....and that question is how do you all see Academy of Arts University as a VFX teaching University? Is the MFA course really helpful(specially for an international student?)

Pardon me if I sound a bit vague....

But Thanks ya'll, :)
Take care,
Regards,
-Entrancea

MrConterno
05-18-2010, 10:21 AM
Personally I didn't care for what I saw when I looked into them. Excessive advertising really puts a bad taste in my mouth.

In addition when I submitted the form for more information their call back people called me, asked what program I was interested in, told me they are transferring me to an adviser, put me on hold for about 5mins, then told me an adviser wasn't available! Why the hell did you call me if they are busy! Also you could hear at least 15 other people in the background making calls. Just gives me that mass production feel, and this really isn't some thing you can mass produce.

I really wasn't impressed with the demo reels I saw either. Some of the stuff I saw reminded me of playing my N64 back in the 90s lol.

smalone3d
05-18-2010, 08:33 PM
Hey Everyone....Now I know you guys must receive this question a lot but as an International Student I am trying to find an answer and so am asking around....and that question is how do you all see Academy of Arts University as a VFX teaching University? Is the MFA course really helpful(specially for an international student?)

Take care,
Regards,
-Entrancea

I've heard some good and bad things about that school.

As a nice rule of thumb, I'd like to stick to the IPAX member school list:

Brigham Young University, California State University Northridge, Filmakademie Baden-Wurttemberg, Linkopings Universitet, New York University, School of Visual Arts and Texas A&M University, Animation Mentor, Carnegie Mellon University, DePaul University, Gnomon School of Visual Effects, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Otis College of Art and Design, Pratt Institute, Ringling College of Art + Design, Stanford University, University of New Mexico and University of Southern California

workaholicmind
05-19-2010, 06:36 AM

Take care,
Regards,
-Entrancea
well till now i only heard bad things about AAU ( academy of arts university) though it was good 7 years ago but after thats its prestige starts decline u can search in this forum only u will find many critics against AAU the colleg admit u without looking at ur portfoloi they r just hungry for ur money pay d fees n ur in that college and if in case u heard abt pixar classes that use to held 7 years ago only and then were shut down. faculty over there is not permanent they r part time faculty who r working in some industry over there that means as soon as lecture is over they will run for their job and u will have no one to ask query ,reviews or even problem for them.so i won't recommed u AAU though rest ur choice

entrancea
05-20-2010, 12:36 PM
Thanks a lot for the feed back guys...really appreciate it.....and if I could ask just once again....any thoughts regarding Sheridan College in Canada?

workaholicmind
05-20-2010, 07:56 PM
Thanks a lot for the feed back guys...really appreciate it.....and if I could ask just once again....any thoughts regarding Sheridan College in Canada?
sheridan its one of d known colleges through out the world but telling u first it does not provide a degree but diploma.sheridan has to courses has a visual effects course though which might suite you and it fees is too less compared to other institutes so far... i m taking ur inetreted as vfx.. if u have other interest then sheridan even offers character animation if u have any other specialization then u might give it a another thought

entrancea
05-21-2010, 04:08 AM
Hey Mohit...Thanks for the reply....Strange on hearing that they give diploma since I had contacted Sheridan college a few weeks ago and they said that they did offer a Post Graduate Certificate and not a diploma.....Now I am yet to find out if it is a Masters Program or not....

workaholicmind
05-21-2010, 05:46 AM
Hey Mohit...Thanks for the reply....Strange on hearing that they give diploma since I had contacted Sheridan college a few weeks ago and they said that they did offer a Post Graduate Certificate and not a diploma.....Now I am yet to find out if it is a Masters Program or not....
ya i guess i should correct myself they only provide certificate but their is not a degree program.sheridan does not have any degree program it only has diploma or certificate programs.sorry i consider certificate program and degree program same though ... y don't u try ringling though ?? its fees is relative too high though...
and u can check out d link i m givivng below i don't know it exactly get into ur specialization or not but if u r looking for degree program and nice placement i guess they provide it u though-
http://www.pratt.edu/academics/art_design/art_grad/digital_arts_grad/emphasis/animation/

CGTalk Moderation
05-21-2010, 05:46 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.