PDA

View Full Version : Short film cartoon character

brunomorin
05-13-2010, 11:03 PM
Hello everybody!

A friend of mine, an animator, asked me to recreate in 3D a character he had created in 2D. He is a mini-golf player who's a little crazy and way too passionate about his sport. It is for a short film project. I will probably make a still image out of it as well. Here's what I did and I joined the concept for you to see. My friend is much pleased with it, but I want to have external advices on this. How could I improve this character? My little experience in the field tells me to always search for comments from fresh eyes. I'd like to know everything that's wrong at this point, before I go ahead with UVs and morphing heads. My friend wanted the character to have a bigger and rounder haircut, that's why I made it that way.

Thank you!

http://brunomorin.chez.com/WIP1.jpg

brunomorin
05-14-2010, 12:25 AM
Here is the link for the full res image: http://brunomorin.chez.com/WIP1.jpg

Bergquist
05-14-2010, 08:46 AM
lol, hey Bruno
Your 3d rendition of the character has turned out great imho

I think he will make a fabulous little film char!

If there was anything I could crit on it would be his ears..
They look slightly too low, even for this stylized char, and the ear is rotated to far with the bottoms too far to the front. Your side burn is making an L shape when it hits the ear, while the concept's side burns flow nicely down and around the ear.

Can't wait to see more of this, and please post the animation when you and your buddy finally get done!

all the best,
-Bergquist

brunomorin
05-14-2010, 01:44 PM
Thanks! Your crit is much appreciated.
I corrected the side burns and the rotation for the bottom of the ear.

The height of the ear, however, seams as the concept. Do you suggest to heighten it despite the original idea?

And, please, could you explain the part where you say the ear is rotated too far to the front? I don't understand.

Thanks in advance!

CGTalk Moderation
05-14-2010, 01:44 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.