PDA

View Full Version : Sintel - Blender Foundation Next Open Movie - Trailer Released

BgDM
05-13-2010, 08:57 PM
I haven't seen a post here yet for this, but The Blender Foundation, Project Durian, have released the trailer for their next open movie, "Sintel".

The download page is here (http://durian.blender.org/download/)

BgDM

fktt
05-13-2010, 09:07 PM
And it is looking awesome. :)

man I hope they've still the 4k video planed to be included on one of the discs... :3

toontje
05-13-2010, 10:44 PM
It's awesome! I hope they get it finished in time for Siggraph. Luckily they avoided the last time disaster concerning the voice acting. The voices sounds great.
On a related note: I wonder if the material library and the built in renderfarm would be in the final Blender release.

Venkman
05-13-2010, 11:06 PM
Freaking WOW.

Rounin
05-13-2010, 11:31 PM
Wow this came out of no where. It's looking really good. In the stills the character models I didn't really like much, but see them moving wow. Now I just can't wait. I want my DVD now.

@BgDM you should probably post an image too.

SciFibrow
05-14-2010, 02:44 AM
This looks good!

Amazing what can be done with free software coupled with fine workmanship. Character style reminds me a little of Annie and Boo.

XeroWolf
05-14-2010, 03:01 AM
I wasn't really feeling some of the renders posting earlier this week but this trailer just totally blew me away. :buttrock:
The team at the Blender Foundation did a great job on it. :bowdown:
Oh the music was kick as too.

thedoc
05-14-2010, 08:25 AM
blender continues to WOW me. I mean... the app is under 30mB and its kicking some serious butt!!! LOL! love it!

imapetert
05-14-2010, 10:00 AM
I want to point out, that everything there was made using Alpha software.
http://www.blender.org/development/release-logs/blender-250/

I think it's a testament to the talent working on this movie.

Liquidape
05-14-2010, 10:18 PM
Ack! What a teaser! I want more!

Intars5d
05-15-2010, 10:30 AM
Trailer really looks impressive :thumbsup: I sort of liked stills but only trailer show real thing :buttrock:
There is definitely something behind the Blender. Being max user myself I find my growing sympathies for Blender too. How 30MB app holds in itself so much? I know this animation isn't only a Blender. There is also Gimp, Inkscape and other but still,...

DanielWray
05-15-2010, 07:03 PM
I'm all the more amazed that this has been developed with Alpha software, since it's Alpha it's missing a lot of features, yet they've managed to make something as nice as this.

EDIT: BgDm, that guy in your avatar is awesome, loved that film ;)

Animasta
05-15-2010, 07:33 PM
Yes, it's something I look forward to watching, but.. Am I the only one that noticed the bad lip syncing on the old man? That jumped right out at me the first time I watched the trailer, so I watched it again to verify..

Lamoot
05-16-2010, 09:45 AM
The lip syncing does look a bit off, but apparently:
The shaman one [shot] wasn't actually designed to be a close up, and won't be in the final movie. For this reason the lip sync is not the greatest, but does the job for the trailer.
From http://billrey.blogspot.com/2010/05/sintel-trailer.html

ManuelM
05-17-2010, 04:49 AM
I think it's good but imho Big Buck Bunny looked more polished.
This looks like a (good) student movie but since it's only a teaser it could turn out a lot better in the end of course.

CHRiTTeR
05-17-2010, 11:20 AM
i agree with manuel

StefanA
05-17-2010, 11:48 AM
Not really sure what to think, I agree that it looks like a "good student film" but it's a teaser so I'm guessing it will be more polished.
There is something odd about how the textures look, wrong filtering? And the skin of the characters, at 0:14 you can tell that something is missing. Perhaps is a shader thing and not the texture. At 0:21 it looks like it's inside a game.

The environments looks awesome though! I hope it will be polished a bit more for the next teaser or trailer. I have high hopes for this one, and also how it pushes Blender as a application.

Looking forward to see the next update!!

regards
stefan

Ollarin
05-17-2010, 12:31 PM
There's no doubt it's awesome work from the team. Though I have to agree with some of the comments. Another thing about the trailer that I felt was, it was trying too hard to be "epic", rather than just turning out to be epic. If that makes sense?

I have to agree, thus far, I think Big Buck Bunny was far more polished. Though, this is just a trailer. Looking forward to the final thing.

Again. Great work by the team, I admire what they've set out to do.

fuss
05-17-2010, 03:43 PM
I think the reason why some of the rendering seems "odd" is twofold. As far as I know the Durian team is using Blender's internal renderer for the whole short, which at this point in time is arguably the weakest link in Blender and still a bit behind other state-of-the-art renderers and is only now being rewritten to bring it up to speed for the stable 2.5-2.6 release. The other reason is probably time constraints. From what I've read the short turned out to be almost twice as long as initially planned, and I think the team also underestimated the amount of work needed to finish it. Also, it's just a trailer, some unpolished/unfinished work is probably to be expected... I still think it comes along great and I can't wait to see the final result. Haven't been so thrilled about a Blender project to date.

fahr
05-17-2010, 05:13 PM
While Blender's renderer is only just now starting to become more modern, I wouldn't pin the blame on the renderer. It's good enough to make good imagery.

I'm pretty sure it's just a lack of time. Their making this with alpha software, so they spend a lot of their time dealing with bugs instead of polishing. This project is also massively more ambitious than Big Buck Bunny was. I think right now they need to be finishing 3-4 shots a day in order to make their deadline, so the next 2 months are going to be fun for them.

That being said, I think it's looking extremely impressive considering the parameters they are working under. It's just a shame everyone seems to be holding them to the same standards as a Blizzard or Blur cinematic despite having a fraction of the time or resources.

Titus
05-17-2010, 07:20 PM
That being said, I think it's looking extremely impressive considering the parameters they are working under. It's just a shame everyone seems to be holding them to the same standards as a Blizzard or Blur cinematic despite having a fraction of the time or resources.

When doing films (short or long), nobody cares about your resources, just the final product.

PartiallyFrozen
05-17-2010, 07:51 PM
I thought it was a cool first look. It for sure has a lot of work left.

With these projects i have always wished they developed a distributed network rendering process. Think Seti@Home but for the blender projects. I would totally be down to let them render frames on my machine while i am at work, in fact i would feel honored. And if it could run as a Screen Saver would be even cooler to be surprised with the frames and passes that i would see. I think it could be a great way to raise awareness of the amount of work that is going on and a good way to push the community free mentality. Only bottle neck would be uploading frames but i cant see that being a huge bottleneck.

Thanks for the trailer!
Mark

Titus
05-17-2010, 08:27 PM
I thought it was a cool first look. It for sure has a lot of work left.

With these projects i have always wished they developed a distributed network rendering process. Think Seti@Home but for the blender projects.

They have developed one, and it's called BURP:

http://burp.renderfarming.net/

PartiallyFrozen
05-17-2010, 09:33 PM
I have known about BURP for a while now. What I was saying is it would be cool if they tied in with them or another service to offer an all in one package that you install and it just renders the film in which they are working on. Burp does what i was saying but not in conjunction with Sintel. Unless it does but i haven't heard anything. Thanks for the link though.

Liquidape
05-17-2010, 09:45 PM
There is actually a number of these distributed render farms available for blender. I think the main argument against rendering them is that they are rendering the movie at 4k, so only a small percentage of users machines can handle the rendering without crashing.

DanielWray
05-17-2010, 10:14 PM
It's unworkable when working to such a tight deadline. Image waiting for gigabytes and gigabytes of data to be uploaded and then downloaded, and then when a render fails you can't do anything except restart it, it would be hard to troubleshoot issues.

They have gone with a small render farm in-house which will be better suited, check out the blog post, I think it's a few I7's in a helmer draw/ unit.

Titus
05-17-2010, 10:21 PM
I have known about BURP for a while now. What I was saying is it would be cool if they tied in with them or another service to offer an all in one package that you install and it just renders the film in which they are working on. Burp does what i was saying but not in conjunction with Sintel. Unless it does but i haven't heard anything. Thanks for the link though.

At least for Big buck Bunny they used a big farm from IBM (I think), no need for other kind of distributed rendering.

EDIT: I found a link, they used a Sun grid service, don't know why I got the IBM info:

http://peach.blender.org/wp-content/uploads/renderfarm_overview.png
http://www.bigbuckbunny.org/index.php/our-renderfarm-and-how-it-works/

ThE_JacO
05-18-2010, 03:28 AM
I have to say that I thought BBB looked a lot better from the get-go.This looks like the artistic standards have dropped considerably.

Maybe the bigger scope is hurting it, but while BBB had me considering the potential of the software in some regards, which is kind of the point of these movies together with developing alongside production work, this new one hasn't really done it for me. There's nothing in any shot that has a technical or artistic edge to it, it all feels rather bland.

Said that: I like what the blender foundation shorts represent, and context considered, congrats to all involved.

toontje
05-18-2010, 02:18 PM
Well, before Durian started there was mention of epic battles and lots of effects (smoke fire and such). The team knows already that they bit off more than they could chew, but I think in the end it they will pull it through.

But regarding the technical aspects of it, I certainly have to differ with you because it is not a matter of opinion, but the mere facts. Maybe it isn't apparent in the trailer, but technically Blender 2.50 is a mile ahead on Blender 2.49. Although there is still much development going on, many targets have been met and are also stabilized. Even the 2.50 alpha 2 changelog (http://www.blender.org/development/release-logs/blender-250/) is the tip of the iceberg.

mystery00
05-18-2010, 04:10 PM
To be honest I'm disappointed. From the original descriptions way back when this whole thing was starting I thought the proposed idea was to create a short, but very highly polished, fighting scene of some sort which will leave people drooling and screaming for more. It didn't need a story other than some basic hints, just had to be awesome to watch and action packed from start to finish.

But this teaser trailer indicates something much, much bigger, with several characters, voice acting, big environments etcetera. I could be wrong with my interpretation of the basic concept back when it was suggested, but it seems like the Durian team went off on a bit of a tangent and increased the scope more than needed.

I wish them the best of luck in finishing this and so far it looks good for what it is, though maybe the next project can be a little more restrained. :arteest:

JsGuillemette
05-18-2010, 07:05 PM
For the rendering, they wanted to keep it in house...to avoid problems with retrieving files over the internet.

In the long run, it,s better for the institute to have a renderfarm on location.

ThE_JacO
05-19-2010, 12:47 AM
But regarding the technical aspects of it, I certainly have to differ with you because it is not a matter of opinion, but the mere facts. Maybe it isn't apparent in the trailer, but technically Blender 2.50 is a mile ahead on Blender 2.49. Although there is still much development going on, many targets have been met and are also stabilized. Even the 2.50 alpha 2 changelog (http://www.blender.org/development/release-logs/blender-250/) is the tip of the iceberg.
Untwist your knickers mate :)
Nowhere I said anything about blender's features list.

What I said is that BBB was a good technical showcase of that release's focus, which is a big part of these shorts imo. This one does nothing in those regards, since everything is rather bland looking and there's no clear focus or defining technical challenge in the characters or the shots, hence nothing really comes through of what durian is about, making it, in my eyes, less successful already than BBB.

imapetert
05-19-2010, 03:22 PM
What I said is that BBB was a good technical showcase of that release's focus, which is a big part of these shorts imo. This one does nothing in those regards, since everything is rather bland looking and there's no clear focus or defining technical challenge in the characters or the shots, hence nothing really comes through of what durian is about, making it, in my eyes, less successful already than BBB.

That's a good point, I almost agree with you ... but maybe consider this, Sintel could exist to bring attention to the 'new' Blender 2.5 series. In that way, it could be fairly successful.

toontje
05-19-2010, 03:57 PM
I know, I get your point and I sure can respect your opinion, but what you are saying is that judging from the trailer, you're not seeing any technological advances. The reason that BBB was a good technological showcase is because the devs were implementing many features that were visual obvious and lacking.

But in the Sintel trailer, many new advances go unnoticed because they're too subtle (like the new GI). Besides I don't think that the team wanted to give too much away in the trailer. The city backdrop is a huge give away already (in the tech sense).

TheANIMAL
05-19-2010, 11:09 PM
I've been a following this project from the beginning and i have to agree it APPEARS that they have bitten off more than the they can chew. But it is not as simple as that, the amount of work needed over Big Buck Bunny has increased 20 fold.

DanielWray
05-19-2010, 11:48 PM
I've been a following this project from the beginning and i have to agree it APPEARS that they have bitten off more than the they can chew. But it is not as simple as that, the amount of work needed over Big Buck Bunny has increased 20 fold.

I agree, if anyone takes a look at any of the (Well the majority) of the BBB scenes you'll see that they are quite simple (Of course that doesn't automatically equal easy), compared to what I've seen from Sintel.

BgDM
05-26-2010, 03:02 PM
If you haven't seen it yet, venomgfx posted some updates and a small anim of the current progress here (http://durian.blender.org/news/sintels-cabin-sneak-peek/#comments)

Much improved overall lighting, renders, etc. Looking very good guys.

BgDM

DanielWray
05-26-2010, 05:45 PM
I saw the updates, I'm really liking the new shots, they seem much more polished.

I also think the updates show off the Blender updates, such as the approximate GI and the render displacement etcetera. :)

CHRiTTeR
05-27-2010, 12:50 AM
If you haven't seen it yet

good point.

CGTalk Moderation
05-27-2010, 12:50 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.