PDA

View Full Version : MacPro1,1 (2006) upgrades

Reed5point0
05-13-2010, 02:02 PM
Hello seeing as Apple is waiting on the delivery of my first born for this computer I (Sally Mae) purchased when I graduated school...I doubt I can afford a brand new workstation flat out just yet lol. I have decided to slowly build this beast up.

My current system specs are...
Model Name: Mac Pro
Model Identifier: MacPro1,1
Processor Name: Dual-Core Intel Xeon
Processor Speed: 2.66 GHz
Number Of Processors: 2
Total Number Of Cores: 4
L2 Cache (per processor): 4 MB
Memory: 10 GB
Bus Speed: 1.33 GHz
Boot ROM Version: MP11.005C.B08
SMC Version (system): 1.7f10

Chipset Model: NVIDIA Quadro FX 4500
Type: GPU
Bus: PCIe
Slot: Slot-1
PCIe Lane Width: x16
VRAM (Total): 512 MB
Vendor: NVIDIA (0x10de)
Device ID: 0x009d
Revision ID: 0x00a1
ROM Revision: 3008

Displays are an older Apple Cinema 23" and a somewhat cheap Acer 22" ...but hes kinda nice.

The Quadro FX 4500 never really wow'd me, and then yesterday it slapped me in the face. Portal for the Mac wont even load ..."Card Unsupported". Further research showed me its because the 32bit EFI on the 1,1 MacPros.

However the new Radeon HD 4870 for Mac works for the old Macs b/c it has both 32 and 64 EFI...

This would solve my video game issue but thats only icing on the cake...

Is this a good card to buy for 3d and Compositing? If not I can live without those games and just stick to the ones I have that work.

olson
05-13-2010, 02:42 PM
I think you'd be better off to build a separate gaming system rather than invest anything else in an antiquated Apple system. Especially if your motivation is playing games, because frankly there aren't a lot of games for OS X. I know Steam has a Mac client now but that doesn't mean publishers will have OS X versions of their games.

Likely a gaming system today for $500 would be faster than your existing Mac. Then you would have both systems to work with, and a cheap KVM to switch between them. Cheers!

EDIT: Also the Radeon HD 4870 is not a new card (two years old and has a successor). Apple wants $350 for the "Mac" version and the non-Mac version is about $150. The difference between the cost of the two would pay for a lot in a separate gaming system.

cgbeige
05-13-2010, 02:48 PM
you'll get the familiar names here suggesting you switch to Windows and Linux so take what you will from that.

The Radeon 4870 is a big upgrade from that card. If you only want faster graphics, I recommend it for sure. It's better than the GTX 285 with Maya's viewport and Mudbox in OS X since ATI has better OS X drivers.

Otherwise, wait for the new Mac Pros and sell that machine. You'll probably get $2k for it - that's something you won't get from a cheap PC: resale value. I sold a 4-year-old dual G5 for $1800 on eBay.

Reed5point0
05-13-2010, 02:54 PM
Thanks for the info guys, I'm keen to any OS really....Hell I even like Red Hat.

The ATI seems like a good bet, and although the thought of building some quad i7 machine sounds super awesome....I think the graphics upgrade is right up my alley.

After that I might work on that i7 rig...like a part or two each check.

olson
05-13-2010, 03:05 PM
you'll get the familiar names here suggesting you switch to Windows and Linux so take what you will from that.

The Radeon 4870 is a big upgrade from that card. If you only want faster graphics, I recommend it for sure. It's better than the GTX 285 with Maya's viewport and Mudbox in OS X since ATI has better OS X drivers.

Otherwise, wait for the new Mac Pros and sell that machine. You'll probably get $2k for it - that's something you won't get from a cheap PC: resale value. I sold a 4-year-old dual G5 for $1800 on eBay.

Kind of ironic warning of bias while being biased. :thumbsup:

earwax69
05-14-2010, 11:46 PM
Well, he is right on the resale value. (Im sad for the guy who bought the G5 though..!)

Its 2010, get or build yourself a i7. I've just built one for a bit over 600$. A pc gaming card will be way cheaper than a 400$ mac kit upgrade. Just get a 100$ GTS 250. Very good performance/price.

You dont have to apply thermal paste by yourself anymore when building a computer, Its already on the heatsink. Its really easy. Then you just need to screw the mainboard in the case and connect your cables like they show in the mainboard manual.

If I can do it, anyone can do it.

DanielWray
05-15-2010, 06:04 PM
Look at the recent benchmarks of portal, which isn't cutting edge, being played on the mac. It's about 50% slower with the latest hardware.

It's not really all about hardware when gaming, a lot of it's the libraries and drivers that the game makes use of, and from what I understand the mac rarely get's a graphic card driver update, so you may lose some performance there.

But, you could dual-boot and use windows 7 for gaming, you'd probably want a more up-to date card than a 4870 though, that's last generation stuff.

Bottom line, get a PC or be a generation behind (for gaming at least), that's not being biased that's just the truth.

earwax69
05-16-2010, 12:03 AM
Bottom line, get a PC or be a generation behind

Because Im not rich enough to buy a new Mac Pro every year, this is one of the reason I switched to PC and never looked back. I explain:

Its more rewarding in terms of speed to invest 1000$ every years in the pc world than invest 3000$ every 2-3 years in the Mac world. Any computer will be obsolete in a matter of months. The next year budget computer will be faster than this year behemoth.

I do like Apple computers, from a distance. I have been an Apple evangelist myself in the PowerPC era. But since dual-xeon pc exists, there's as been no reason at all for me to go back to the mac side.

I think the best move Apple did (ipod/iphone excluded) was to bear Final Cut Pro. They regained a lot of the defectors at this moment. It's a shame they just let Shake die though... Apple did very well with FCP. Very very well indeed. Adobe really let the ball down at that moment.

The thing I really like about Apple is that any amateur can buy a Imac and get a nice pc experience right from the start. Pre-made pc are bloated with crapwares and warnings, its really akward. I would highly recommand a Imac to anyone who is not a computer geek or CG artist.

But I diverge...

What is the plural of pc? pcs... pc's...peecies?? sorry, my english, just like my comments, is far from serious.

CGTalk Moderation
05-16-2010, 12:04 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.