PDA

View Full Version : Tara Bonbon - Pop Ninja Star, Hoon (2D)

HOON
09-14-2003, 09:15 AM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/galleryimages/51761/Tara_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/galleryimages/51761/Tara.jpg)

Okay, this happens to be my first post here. and i have no clue what kind of response i should expect. but im gonna try anyway.

here, what you see is character concepts for my project "Ninja Talkshow"
the concept is being developed as multiple media content purposes, however i am involved in comic industry, and that is our first step. i decided to get your vicious critisizm, so i could improve on elements that are unseen to my eyes.

First, meet TARA BONBON
She is a pop star and singer/song writer/dancer in the world full of ninjas, breaking many lean mean stealth assasins' hearts.

second character concept piece is JUSTICE CLAN this young and leathal clan is a shadow of master samurai LAN who is rare indentity who believes in Justice.
http://www.cgnetworks.com/galleryimages/51761/justice.jpg

and here is the third entry, YOM also this piece goes by the name of "art of serving fruits" Yom is a only daughter of Kook Family. grandpa (master chef) Koit, father Blowphish, (fisherman/wagon driver) and Yom drive around their roach-coach all around the Nine Tortoise Continents and serve the finest, and the most exiquiste Sea food, and great tasting cup of tea.

http://www.cgnetworks.com/galleryimages/51761/YOM.jpg

i know, i know. i did read the announcement. i should just post one image here, but these are linked, not uploaded.
and they really do go together, and i wanted to get reflections from you on these as a package. well, of couse, i would also appreciate C&C on indivisual images.

there you have it art lovers. your two cents will add up to be great help for starving artist like me.

[HOON] MESS (http://www.messstudio.com)
Alien Palm Reading Virtuoso

olijosman
09-14-2003, 09:38 AM
very complex anatomical compositions,I like it!!;)
very professional drawings, in Manga style :thumbsup:
you use textures or reference 3d in your drawings??
and the human positions, you have real reference?
they are very well!!
:applause:

HOON
09-14-2003, 10:01 AM
hew.. reply! possitive one even....

thanks.
no 3d involved in any of these. all of them simply done in PS7 with good ol' PS tricks.

also, i know this could be my weakness, however i dont use photo references. never. though i remember when i was kid, i had this thoughts "photo reference is not a good thing.. its like cheating" i know now thats not true, and i should use photo references.
however i was trained the way i am now, only because i tried really hard to mimic the photo realistic in a stylized art form. so i recommend anti-photo ref, in a certain extend.

thanks once again olijosman.

[HOON] Alien Palm reading is my passion, indeed.

olijosman
09-14-2003, 10:43 AM
great control of the anatomy!:bowdown:

:wavey:

NSYaction
09-14-2003, 11:08 AM
very nice!!!

HOON,may i know where r u form?:applause:

HOON
09-14-2003, 11:15 AM
i posted that i am in limbo, but thats hard to believe eh?

haha.. i physically exist in Bay area, California. US.

NSYaction
09-14-2003, 11:17 AM
这里薩懂中文阿,薩能告诉我为什么上传图片的上限只有20k大小阿

但是这里每一个图片大小都达到了100k以上,这是怎么弄的呢~~~~

HOON
09-14-2003, 11:23 AM
oy.... i wish i could understand what you put there. ^^ im just gonna assume that its something nice. and thank you for it.

NSYaction
09-14-2003, 11:32 AM
hehe, hoon ,sorry my english so poor~~~en,may i ask u a question?

i want to load some pictures,but Maximum size: 20000 bytes

u know is so little ,my picture is 100k,how can i do?

thanks~~~

phoenix
09-14-2003, 06:44 PM
good work

ninja noodle
09-19-2003, 02:39 AM
excellent work as always!!! keep it up!!!!!! :beer: - beer for your leprechaun! :p

bumskee
09-19-2003, 03:27 AM
It's great! really good stuff.. very professional, someone said that somewhere and that's all i am getting from my head..

dun see why people aren't saying much about these.. I absolutely love them.. beautifully crafted! myabe coz i am a manga fan......

:beer:

keight
09-19-2003, 05:14 AM
I really like your style!

bumskee
dun see why people aren't saying much about these..
In my case, because I was working today, and just got here.

BlueCougar
09-19-2003, 05:34 AM
Great work, I like your careful use of color burn to give accents to your imagery. You should write some notes on your process from start to finish on these, I know I'd like to see it. Keep it up!

Kenn

HOON
09-19-2003, 08:03 AM
thanks everyone for comments.
on BlueCougar's comments... thaniks first of all, and yes thats something i began doing on all my new work. making walkthroughs and tutorials as i progress. made me learn more and secure my style when i documentize my work.
thanks onceagain, and especially for Ninja-Noodle for digging into nearly dead thread and bring it back under the light!!

[HOON]

ceql
09-19-2003, 10:54 AM
Wow, love it! :applause: I especially dig the first one! :applause:
great style :drool: :drool:

StealthPharaoh
09-19-2003, 11:18 AM
very nice style and colors..third on is very cool..i love her pose from that angle..
excellent work..:applause:

shadowkeeper
09-19-2003, 12:33 PM
Hey man! this pictures frozen me up! I was looking at your pics and couldn't notice tht the time was running out. Very complex compositions, shades and specialy the expression of their faces. You know what? the third one is kick ass! Are you working in manga/anime?:drool: :drool: :applause:

javasupai
09-19-2003, 10:19 PM
The pics are nice, nice, nice, nice, nice, nice!!!!!!!!!!

Nice, nice, very nice!!!!

ninja noodle
09-20-2003, 02:39 AM
HOON: :beer:

HOON
09-20-2003, 02:50 AM
hah. thanks everyone. such a positive feedback. im glad you like what you see here. i am getting so much energy from your comments.
I got endless supply of tequila shots for you, Ninja Noodle!

I said thanks to EVERY ONE right? i really appreciate your comments!

SIGIL
09-20-2003, 03:21 AM
:thumbsup: Hoon baby............. LOVE YOR WURK ................ really. This is some CARAZEE awesome shiat. Rock on brutha man :buttrock: Rock on.

your style is VERY inspiring.

Heh heh I just noticed we are neighbors........................ kind of but not really.............. Limbo is a relly wierd place huh?

cultist
09-20-2003, 03:41 AM
awesome :thumbsup:

u do doujin kinds of stuff???..... i'll buy them, yes i will,
u are far much much better than those so called "professional" doujin makers from my place

HOON
09-20-2003, 05:52 AM
HAHA.. yep.. actually let me put my voice on..

"HOWDIE NEIGHBOR!"
yeah it is strange here. i dont mind getting the hell out. so if you dont see me in limbo, you will probably find me in between robots and concretes, doing things that every other drone are doing.

appreciate your comments you cool automated welcome comments (emoticon included) generater bots!

hey cultist... whats doujin? ^^;

Thanks everyone!

cultist
09-20-2003, 01:18 PM
doujin....i'm not sure if it spells this way
it's a japanese word which means manga/ sketches...etc made by a single person or a group of people who love drawing. they make their own comics book, publish it and sell it mainly for interest/ sharing not for profit

it first started in japan then spread to korean, taiwan, hong kong, mainland china etc, it's less popular in the west as i know

ninja noodle
09-21-2003, 01:34 AM
HOON: WOW! endless shots of tequila!? :eek: i'm there!!!!! :beer:

ppself
09-21-2003, 03:31 AM
cooooool :thumbsup:

D. Phoenix
09-21-2003, 03:35 AM
AH excellent- Always good to see a dynamic pose like these.

Do you have any WIP pics available? I'd be interested as to what processes you go through as it seems quite in-depth. Pencil / Ink? Tablet?

well done

sixthe45
09-21-2003, 04:39 PM
Totally loved the pictures :love:

HOON
09-23-2003, 07:33 AM
thanks everyone for comments..
to answer some of the questions, D.pheonix. yeah.. i began making walkthroughs and making of sort of documents on most of my new stuff. if its worth looking into that is. all the stuff posted up here are done in PS7 with optic mouse. now i have new intuos, and i love it. makes working process more fun.
work displayed here are mainly sketched with mechanical .5 pencil on 80lb white paper, and scanned in for coloring. walkthrough and tutorial is available to registered users at messy chillroom art school (http://www.messstudios/bb)

Ninja noodle. "endless" is correct. as long as you can handle it!
thanks everyone for comments

logotomie
09-23-2003, 09:30 AM
reminds me a bit of the work of Hyung-Tae Kim (http://www.naimoka.com/index.php?rub=kim&page=mc-1)
I looove this kind of anatomy interpretation :-)

Wonderer
09-23-2003, 06:04 PM
Very nice work, congratulations for your skills.:bowdown:

ninja noodle
09-23-2003, 06:25 PM
HOON: of course i CAN handle endless shots of TEQUILA!.... *hic*

ninja noodle aka tequila monster!

D. Phoenix
09-24-2003, 05:47 AM
Quite interesting, and thanks for the info.

5 stars from me.

Philipstraub
09-24-2003, 12:26 PM
wow...look at all that great work.Awesome

valu
09-24-2003, 12:48 PM
You realy got style !!!!!!!!

smoke
09-24-2003, 06:22 PM
Excellent composition and designs.
Kinda reminds me of the War of Genesis artist (and thats a good thing)

HOON
09-27-2003, 12:11 AM
Thanks Philip. its always nice to get recognized by an artist who i admire.

Smoke. the man you are refering to is Hyung tae Kim.. i dont know him personally, but know of his work. and i know, took that as complement........... FOR NOW. ^^

thanks for comments everyone

Leonard
09-27-2003, 02:06 AM
Added to gallery.

Please note that we request that you post ONE piece of art per thread so that we can link that piece in the gallery. If you post three pieces such as here, it f*cks the whole system up.

Thanks

L.

Windex
09-27-2003, 02:15 AM
wow nice pics bro. the compo the tones the style they are all supa

onething bothers me

in the third picture, is she giving birth to a light bulb?

rayz
09-27-2003, 02:22 AM
beautiful work :beer:

very good pose and anatomy :applause:

ZrO-1
09-27-2003, 02:49 AM
Well everyone has already said what great work your three images are so I'll just say I agree. They are beutiful. :thumbsup:

So now what I like and don't like:

I LOVE the shoes and hair of Tara Bonbon.
I think her hips could be just a touch wider though.

Justice clan is well done, but a little cliche. The archer, the swordsman, and the staf-weilding (usually mage) character, can be a little played out. I think I feel this way because your first and third characters are so well fleshed-out with their stories, yet Justice clan isn't as much.

Yom is AWESOME. No crits what-so-ever...just a question:
can I get her phone number? :love: LOL

really fantastic work. The posing and anatomy of all three images are really incredable.

dmonk
09-27-2003, 02:57 AM
I just visited your website and I really love the design of it.

BTW Great work.

facial
09-27-2003, 03:19 AM
Hi,HOON. Your work with special design style. I like it. seems like it fulls oriental culture. Well, do you know monkey king from Chinese famous novel? I think your character design is match to the character from this novel.
Well done , and keep post up more. :beer:

Windex
09-27-2003, 03:36 AM
ok this is ridiculous SERIOUSLY

HOW IN THE (insert every curse word you know here) am "I" or people here (those who don't even have the balls (like me) to post work cuz they think it's (the work) not good enough SUPPOSE to compete with "DAT"?????????

i just checked out ur website and man O man...comon

you can get ANY JOB , i mean ANY job you want (in the respected field) then get enough money, open ur OWN studio, if you already dont' have one. and sit back and make ART

it's like a (insert every knows curse word here) catch 22:

starving artist (me) + no money + payments = Never makes it

GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

.....................................................GOD???

dbach
09-27-2003, 03:43 AM
Your poses are inspiring, the last one is very close to a pose in the eagle claw style of martial arts you might want to check it out I think it is realy cool.

As for the second image I think that the composition could use a little tweeking. The way all the staff, bow, and arrow are pointing creats a focal foint out in empty space, I would doing something about the arrow. And this is a very small thing, in the first image I think the fog almost demands a black background, although I don't know if you want to keep all the bg's the same.

- Don

Tidus_44
09-27-2003, 05:05 AM
thats is absolutly incredible work. Im a 2d artist myself I was wondering if maybe you could give me some tips on how to paint.

starqueen
09-27-2003, 05:56 AM
INSANELY good work. VERY magna carta!!!! even the posing of your characters match that of their work.

keep it coming! :beer:

ionanism
09-27-2003, 05:57 AM
WOW! Really great work Love the style.

Your proportions on everyone are dead on, even in extreme poses.
All of your line work and shading is so nice and graceful.

I did notice a few things that seem just a tad off to me.

In the 3rd pic the one of Yom, the perspective on the floor looks a bit off.
And there is no shadow on the cloth thing coming out between her legs, it looks as if it floating in mid air.

But that抯 just minor nitpicking卥ick ass work if I do say so myself.

starqueen
09-27-2003, 06:02 AM
PS: I noticed in the portfolio you cited other ppls' names for producing these works as well as yours, could you give them credit along with yours?

eLm0
09-27-2003, 06:29 AM
These are great,
you have a unique style *although heaps of ppl use it comes out really clear in your work*
sorta from first appearance at their clothing and skin looks slightly cel slightly airbrushy but the hair is soo cel almost plastic like it works really great looks very good don't change that
congradulations on your plug definately a great addition to cgtalk!

ehulser
09-27-2003, 06:33 AM
First off, I agree with all the other artists here, this is truly amazing work. The only problem I have with them is that in the last image, there is a strong light source coming from the ground below your character. You can tell where the gradient starts, but there is no "real" source of light. I think it would go a long way to have perhaps a candle or some visual form that tells the viewer why that light is there. Right now, it seems like the food or the floor is the main light source for the image and it doesnt read as well as it could. Amazing work though.

sean_G
09-27-2003, 06:39 AM
just one question... exactly WHAT is illuminating that third picture of YOM??... is she hiding a lightbulb, somewhere, in between her legs?

HOON
09-27-2003, 06:47 AM
thanks for cgtalk for recognizing my work, and every one who commented under this thread.

Leonard: understood. i will follow the system.

windex: thanks for comments and you have great wit. giving birth to a light bulb is definately a good one. between you and me, that pic's inital title was *cough* pissing stance. dont tell anyone.

titus_44: thanks. all my new work has walk through and tutorial sort of documents. i will make them available soon.

Starqueen: thanks for comments and making the point on credit issue.
i wanted to go back to the actual post starter, and add the info, but it didnt allow me to do so. so here is detailed infomation

Tara Bonbon: by HOON

YOM and Justice clan:
concept, pencil, scan, touch up, color scheme, textures, effects and color rendering by HOON
masking assistance (lasso or pen tool to trace lines and divide surfaces) by Mike Sherrill.

and thanks to all, once again

ChrisHale
09-27-2003, 06:57 AM
All I can say is wow... and repeat everything everyone has been saying. Great poses, amazingly accurate proportions, and stunning use of colour. I there was one thing i'd change though would be to make the arror head on the Justice image more evident, maybe with some foreshortening, but thats just niggling. GREAT WORK!!!

erilaz
09-27-2003, 07:36 AM
The poses you've made are stunning. As a personal preference, I don't think the singer quite fits into the same style as the rest of your art. The other two images composition and lighting are fabulous. Very well done.:)

Vesuvando
09-27-2003, 08:30 AM
:eek:

Blackrainbow
09-27-2003, 09:02 AM
I like so much your style, is so clean, and your colour technique is very good, whit great ilumination and texture work.

Your style remember me a bit of Humberto Ramos and Joe Madureira.

Great great work!:thumbsup:

Goro
09-27-2003, 09:30 AM
I like the style! Looks very professional!
And without reference...my respect really good control
of anatomy. want to see more of your work!

:buttrock: :buttrock:

Intonater
09-27-2003, 10:58 AM
Really well done.
I like it.

EVIL
09-27-2003, 11:02 AM
The art of serving fruit image has a balance flaw, no one can stand like that on such shoe's, its impossible.

cgeryangsen
09-27-2003, 11:24 AM
dreams ture
:applause:

urgaffel
09-27-2003, 12:15 PM
I'll just jump on the bandwagon and say that they are really nice. As mentioned earlier, they remind me a lot of the Hyung Tae Kims style (he did the Magna Carta illustrations among other things). He was the first thing I thought of when I saw Yom. Her pose looks a little uncomfortable though, especially with those shoes :)

Tara Bonbon is just yummy, I can see how she'd break a lot of hearts (funny shoes though, I hope those are only for show purposes). The Justice League... Clan is a little cliche, but there's nothing wrong with the execution, it's just that the concept is a little too mundane, or common, compared to the others. I mean, you have a sexy ninja pop ikon, a ninja daughter of a master chef traveling the 9 continents serving awesome food and battling evil. Then you have the Justice Clan who fight for... Justice. See how it doesn't really gel with the other two? Although I guess most stories and worlds need their heroes ;)

5 stars!

phoenix
09-27-2003, 12:25 PM
awsome dude..love the pose

lildragon
09-27-2003, 02:07 PM
One of the best aspects of these images has definitely got to be the poses, they really sell your characters, and with such exaggerated limbs I'm impressed that you can pull it off. Also as Blue Cougar mentioned nice play with the burn tools ;) I once thought they were "evil" heh

You have received the CGtalk choice award .Please feel free to display this image anywhere you like! Great work!

upon receiving this award, it guarantees you a spot in the cgtalk gallery hall of fame (http://gallery.cgtalk.com) - which you are now placed

http://www.cgtalk.com/plug_award/cgtalk_award_sept03.jpg

P.S. Please email me @ tito@cgnetworks.com so I can send you the award .psd file

salud

Julez4001
09-27-2003, 04:44 PM
The girl that is squatting...where is that light coming from:eek:

Spledid work and I thought magna Carta tooo but u have stinton it as well.
Great work

sjcomp
09-30-2003, 08:24 PM
Hi, there.
I liked your pictures, third one the best. Just a comment: the sword position in the second one looks strange, usually it should be with the blade other way (balde up). Hope to see more of them soon (website pictures are also very nice)

Good-luck.

Regards,
Alexander.

Mr.Prince21
10-01-2003, 06:41 PM
when i first saw this picture in the gallery i just used it for wallpaper cuz it looked so good. But now that i took my time and analyzed it carefully i could see a great story evolve from all of these characters.:thumbsup:

Gives me alot of inspiration
Great work

mrgrfx
10-01-2003, 08:30 PM
It reminded me most of Falcoon! Which in my mind is a REALLY good thing. Nice dynamic poses and good colors. Good Job. Do more!!.... NOW.:applause:

Hwang
10-10-2003, 06:53 PM
Woah!!! Good job!!!!!:buttrock:

Trickster
10-11-2003, 04:00 PM
hey! my sis told me about your work and i thought i might look and keep it in my computer cos it's ace man!!! love your work and keep it up! :D

Hwang
10-11-2003, 07:13 PM
:buttrock: :buttrock: :buttrock:

BARoNTiERi
10-11-2003, 11:02 PM
:beer: Excellent! bravOo

cupcake
10-14-2003, 07:47 PM
Nice art.

:eek: :applause:

cyrenevjacob
10-18-2003, 03:55 PM
Your style is really cool....they were all fabulous pieces and a true pleasure to watch....I did not see any light sources for YOM....the light confused me though!! Excellent work! :thumbsup:

hertzchim
03-25-2004, 02:36 PM
gosh, I seem to be posting mainly in the 2D section these days, and superb material like this is the reason why. I love the poses and the perspective.

biggyninja
03-30-2004, 09:22 PM
lovely perspective and foreshortening on your artwork, reminds me of capcoms streetfighter 2 characters.

biggyninja
03-30-2004, 09:22 PM
lovely perspective and foreshortening on your artwork, reminds me of capcoms streetfighter 2 characters.

bcole23
04-28-2004, 08:14 PM
didn't read the whole thread to see if anyone has said this or not, but seeings how I've been studying sword work for quite some time now, based on your swordsman's hand positions, he's holding the sword with the blade the wrong way..

grungelover
06-22-2004, 03:02 PM
are you working for Image Comics?

vogelap
06-22-2004, 05:21 PM
I believe that I am in love with YOM.

ImUrPeTii
06-23-2004, 03:46 AM
great work,i love it.

the light,the color style!keep on working!

michael101171
11-07-2004, 09:51 PM
Great work, really, what more can I say?

AmazeMe
12-30-2004, 02:21 AM
:thumbsup: This is great work with the lighting, the colors and your style of art. :bowdown:

Nonagon
04-24-2005, 09:23 AM
Sorry for the thread necromancy, but I love the concepts of these characters. Ninja Talkshow could kind of be a showpiece for the other two but I think the Way of Serving Fruit probably has the most potential.

Keep up the great work!

CGTalk Moderation
04-24-2005, 09:23 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.