PDA

View Full Version : Shader Question

Shredator
05-13-2010, 06:23 AM
First, I'll have to apologize- this is undoubtedly a stupid question and an easy fix. Maya is a mysterious beast, and I'm still learning its secrets.

When you combine two meshes and vertex merge them together, you get some sort of shader issue I don't understand. Right in the middle, where the light doesn't bounce off correctly.

http://img696.imageshack.us/img696/9598/shadercopy.jpg

Hardening and softening the edge does have an effect, but I've never been able to remove the difference completely. I'm not trying to do anything fancy, but is there some way to get back to looking as though there were never two separate meshes?

phyle
05-13-2010, 07:24 AM
Yeah it shouldnt look like that.
Have you tried checking your normals are facing the same way? display>polygons>face normals

Shredator
05-13-2010, 08:07 AM
I checked normals, and found that the back mesh normals were facing the opposite direction. Facing them correctly, then softening and hardening a few of the edges I was able to get rid of a few of the problem lines. I'm guessing the problem comes from both the edges being border edges, and therefore set to a different hardness, as well as the normals being faced incorrectly.

Definitely some experimenting for me to do here. Thanks for the reply, I'll work on it some more tomorrow and see how it goes.

CGTalk Moderation
05-13-2010, 08:07 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.