PDA

View Full Version : More Lighting WIP

BinkyHunter
05-13-2010, 04:35 AM
here are two more pieces im currently working on. The first scene is a model with textures from a student film I just finished working on called "Shadow Play". It's being lit with an ambient occlusion node plugged into the ambient color slot of all the shaders, a key light coming in through the window, and a few extra bounce lights.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v113/plainoldryan/JO_Room.png

this second piece, ive done all the texturing and modeling, and lighting for. Using spotlights for bounce/key light, point lights for the torches and paint fx for the fire.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v113/plainoldryan/stairsss.png

you guys helped me out tremendously with the hallway scene last thread and i really appreciate everyones comments

-Ryan

lazzhar
05-13-2010, 12:35 PM
In the first picture I think we would want to see a lot of shadowing happening in there caused by the strong light coming from the window.

halfPintMike
05-13-2010, 02:00 PM
Hey there, about your second piece, the lighting is rather dull. The light coming through the window could be made brighter and your torches are a bit dim. I thought they would shed more light than that. You could also make the axe glint from the torches light( just my thought). And the walls spec makes it look a bit like plastic. If 'damp and slimy' is what you are aiming for then I'm not sure if it looks so. Maybe the specular refln could be sharper. Or maybe I'm wrong about it.

Timothy

erilaz
05-13-2010, 03:58 PM
You could probably pull back the bloom on the first picture's window a tad. It pulls the eye a little too strongly to that corner and dulls the rest. The soft bounce on the back wall works quite well, and I like the mood overall! :)

For the second, i'm not entirely convinced of the bricks just yet. It may be the way the lighting is hitting them, but they smack a little of melted wax. You might need to play with the textures a bit to make them feel a little more realistic. Thinking about eye focus again, I think possibly the light from the torches would have more falloff into the scene. How dark is the night outside meant to be?

BinkyHunter
05-13-2010, 04:52 PM
thanks for all the comments guys, i'm fixing the bloom and adding some more shadow to the first one right now. There should be an updated image within the next hour or so.

kanooshka
05-13-2010, 06:03 PM
Image 1: The window is so bright it's drawing a lot of attention to itself. There's also a lot of blown out areas to the scene but not much light bouncing around at all. Compared to the items on top of the desk the desk itself is very dark as well as the wood on the far left of the image. Pulling out some more midtones using bounce and fill lights should help a lot. I did a quick color correct to illustrate. http://i841.photobucket.com/albums/zz335/kanooshka/MoreLightingWIP01colorCorrect.jpg

Image 2: In night scenes it's important to get the dark values but also areas of bright. Try to create pools of light and bright highlights. This image like the last is too saturated, I did a little desaturation and color correcting to help out. Some more light coming from the torches would help, they only seem to be reflected as opposed to actually emitting light. The rocks on the walls look too rounded and too specular which makes them look a little waxy, especially on the right side. Unless the walls are all wet their specular highlights would be much rougher and toned down.
http://i841.photobucket.com/albums/zz335/kanooshka/MoreLightingWIP02colorCorrect.jpg

BinkyHunter
05-13-2010, 09:29 PM
heres an update, i added some more bounce light in the room scene and lessened the overall saturation. I also took down the bloom in the window. In the staircase scene I adjusted the specularity on the walls and changed the torch lights to give off more actual light and not just the reflection of light. Let me know what you guys think.

Thanks everyone

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v113/plainoldryan/ROOM.png

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v113/plainoldryan/stairs_new.png

Kev3D
05-15-2010, 07:57 AM
Both scenes are looking better, I really like that stylized wooden room, great work. I think what stands out for me at the moment is the stuff on the table. Infact, looking at it again, everything that's made of paper looks a bit too solid. The kids drawings look like they are floating off the walls and they don't have any creases or folds like you would expect. The side of the book facing towards camera looks too black, some of the other books look too much like plane rectangular prisms. I know it's a stylized look but what I like about this look is the unevenness of it all (the tripod's legs are a bit wonky, the planks are warped and the clock isn't square).

Now, with the stairs, what draws my eye straight away is the blue of the sky outside, it looks like you've used the fill tool in paint and used the default blue. Even though it's a small window, it could still go some variation in the sky. Maybe a bit less saturation. Kanooshka's paint over looks better.

The rocks look a lot better and less waxy so good job on that. However, Kanooshka's point about having bright and dark areas is still valid and you appear to have gone the opposite direction in your latest render. The light coming in through the window needs to be brighter. Open Season (http://www.imdb.com/media/rm3489961984/tt0400717) is a good reference for night time lighting if you have that DVD.

To be honest, the stairs scene is kinda boring. Nice as a night time lighting exercise but if you wanted to polish it, it needs something more. This could even be something as simple as another warm light source emanating from further up the stairway, maybe some more props, maybe the props you do have could be fleshed out a bit more, the window doesn't have a frame or a sill, the candle things look like simple cones (what are they?) etc.

abbeytermeer
05-17-2010, 04:19 AM
the wooden room scene looks really good, i love the style of it. but the intense *white* of the light coming from outside is too intense. i can barely force my eyes away from the window to look at the rest of the scene.

what is the most important item in that scene? that should be what captures your attention. by allowing a very translucent light to drift in from the window to illuminate the object of importance it will really turn the image into a story. I think an outdoors may be in order for this piece.

with the stairs scene, i like it but the window blue is too intense. the saturation immediately draws the eye. while what seems the most important ( the story telling element) is the axe. what would be a nice touch is if the light from the window in combination of that warm light from the lamp brought that little artifact out in the scene. :)

Wiro
05-17-2010, 01:28 PM
I especially like the first pic. It's a nice, warm, friendly and inviting colour palette and the geometry lends itself to some interesting play with light and dark, which you've already started with pretty well.

I think it could use a bit more attention to light/dark and making it work within the composition. I did this paintover, I hope you don't mind.

http://i790.photobucket.com/albums/yy188/arildwiro/WIP01_paintOver.jpg

First of all there's the bright window which others have mentioned which is competing with the "clutter" in the screen left. You can basically make this into a classical "thirds" composition with the main focus around where the right third dividing line is.

http://i790.photobucket.com/albums/yy188/arildwiro/thirds.jpg

This is where you got the most interesting geometry to catch light and cast shadow (high contrast). If you left the left third dark with just hints of detail (low contrast) the eye is more relaxed about concentrating on the right third. Casting a large but soft window light onto the screen left helps balance it out again so it's not all bright on right and all dark on left.

I just noticed I mispainted something. I thought the picture of the cat was on the back wall, not on the shelf which makes my paint of the window light a bit odd. But I do actually think it would work better with the picture on the wall and the shelf just acting like a silhouette with some rim.

To play up the silhouette of the shapes I painted in more rimlight onto the detailed stuff (chair, lamp, telescope, drawers, etc). You can do this in render by chamfering edges more and increasing speculars or diffuse reflections. To tie the desk and chair in more with the window I also "added in" some diffuse reflection, like they're varnished.

The window still looked a bit blown out but I don't think it's because of the intense white (so no need to reduce brightness) but the way you basically used a high-intensity glow with a short falloff makes it look intense and burnt in. It would look more relaxing if you used a large, soft glow which will keep the silhouette of the window sharp and just carry some of the spill over.

Wiro

Wiro
05-17-2010, 01:45 PM
The problem with the second pic is that it currently lacks a focal point. The eye darts to the window and the torches but there isn't really anything to see there. Again if you divided this up into thirds you can start to see where to lead the eye. Maybe it would be interesting to have some light come from around the corner to illuminate the stairs?

http://i790.photobucket.com/albums/yy188/arildwiro/WIP02_paintOver.jpg

This helps keep the eye in the right third which is where you have the axe, the large torch and the interesting shapes on the column catching light. You should play this side up more and play down the left side. I added in a more reflective surface on the stairs as well to carry the light further down and silhouette the axe.
Maybe it would even be interesting to add the shadow of someone coming around the corner? (with an axe?)
Or maybe add more clutter on the stairs? Some chainmail, and a skeletal hand from a dead warrior lying on the stairs just out of sight?
It just needs something more to keep the interest.

edit: I actually don't mind the specular you had in the old pic, it helps to bring out the shape of the rocks and adds interest. Wet rock is fine but the poster was right that the specs or reflections would need to be either broken up more (if just hard, smooth rock) or be sharper (if wet rock)

Wiro

CGTalk Moderation
05-17-2010, 01:45 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.