PDA

View Full Version : making rigged character passive rigid body?

RhetoricCamel
05-13-2010, 12:03 AM
I was wondering if I would be able to take a character that I have rigged, skinned, and painted weights to, into a passive rigid body? I want to be able to make this character interact with other objects in the scene (ex. Character puts his hands in front of himself and pushes a large block across the scene).

Is there a way to do this once the character has been rigged, skinned, and weighted? I can't seem to do it. Any tips, ideas, or just something I'm missing here?

Irakli
05-13-2010, 09:52 AM
You can convert your animation into geometry cache and then convert it to rigid body.

mandark1011
05-13-2010, 06:17 PM
depending on the level of detail on your character you could parent constrain primitives to your character and turn these into rigids. This leaves you open to art direction for changing animation. I know alot of people will do this sort of thing on a per shot basis...for example your hand analogy.. rig the hand for that shot to move what and only what you need it too.

hope that helps.

RhetoricCamel
05-14-2010, 06:14 PM
thanks for the suggestions I'll look into them. This character needs to be able to affect other rigid body objects by bumping and falling into them. Of course I should have thought about all of this before rigging, skinning, and painting weights.

mandark1011
05-14-2010, 08:11 PM
thought of another possible here too. Make a low rez cage of your character and wrap it to your existing geometry then convert that into a rigid body and hide it at render time. If you have a dense mesh you will run into alot of issues trying to solve complex rigid sims. best to have a low cage triangulated and add more substeps in the calculation.

RhetoricCamel
05-14-2010, 08:41 PM
thought of another possible here too. Make a low rez cage of your character and wrap it to your existing geometry then convert that into a rigid body and hide it at render time. If you have a dense mesh you will run into alot of issues trying to solve complex rigid sims. best to have a low cage triangulated and add more substeps in the calculation.

That sounds like a very good idea, I'll look into doing that! My model is pretty low poly (don't have maya open so I don't know exactly how many it has) so it shouldn't be too bad. Are there any tutorials on making this cage for my character?

mandark1011
05-14-2010, 09:04 PM
no tutorials that i know of but its a simple enough process..look to see where your deformations are happening and make sure you have enough geo there to accommodate that then reduce polys where you can. Then just wrap deform that object to your hi rez bound geo (if you dont know how to do that help docs can show you).

the low rez cage can be under or not really perfect as rigids will look right anyways as long as your not doing closeups or cowboy shots on them. Motion blur and the actual dynamic movement of things is usually enough to sell the fact that your character has "interacted" with something. Having said that big crashes through your hero geo should be addressed but I wouldnt worry too too much about it lol.

good luck

RhetoricCamel
05-14-2010, 09:42 PM
Thank you very much for your help. I will give this a try. Never heard of anything like this so I'll be reading the help docs a bit.

CGTalk Moderation
05-14-2010, 09:42 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.