PDA

View Full Version : rendering a transparent texture

SkinandSketch
05-12-2010, 02:22 PM
Hi Folks
I am trying to render a piece of paper on the wall in my scene, it has many holes punched in it and text on it, I want to see the red wall behind the holes and the shadows that these holes make. I guess I want to import a picture file? from photoshop.
Can anyone point me in the direction of a tutorial on this or even give me advice on how to do it on this post.

Thanks great folk

Olly

spiralof5
05-13-2010, 01:34 AM
Sure!

depending on what material you use, if it is a blinn or lambert it will be something like this:

Go into photoshop. Set up an 8.5x11 in photoshop, since that is standard letter paper. Go to the shapes tool (looks like a solid rectangle). Hold it down and you will find you have different options to draw a circle instead. Make the circle black. Copy and paste until your heart is content.

This is what is called a transparency map. Go into maya and select your lambert. Add in your white jpg with the black holes. I can't remember if maya switches things but usually whatever is white is solid and black is transparent. Put the map into your lambert's transparency attribute.

render and enjoy!

SkinandSketch
05-14-2010, 02:13 AM
What an amazing and essential tool that is.
Cheers, Olly

spiralof5
05-17-2010, 04:32 AM
any time. Good luck!

CGTalk Moderation
05-17-2010, 04:32 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.