PDA

View Full Version : question to particles and realflow users

bluehonda
05-12-2010, 08:58 AM
can we import realflow particles to maya and let those particles still be affected by fields and scripts/expressions? its like simulating a bit in realflow then continuing that simulation in maya using dyanmics.then export those particles again to create mesh in realflow.

thanks

Phlok
05-12-2010, 09:29 AM
The particles imported from RF are read out of a cache. When this cache ends, there won't be any particles anymore.

You might of course achive what you want with a lot of scripting, but I think there will be problems such as getting the particles' velocities right.This might be problematic right at the moment when the Maya simulation takes over.

Anyway, I'd reccomend you doing the whole simulation in Realflow. RF is a special software for simulating the behaviour of liquids, those particles have very few things in common with maya particles. Swithicng them back and forth between those applications may not give you the results you desire as the underlying principles of those two systems are completely different.

What do you want to achieve anyhow? I bet this can be donecompletely in RealFlow.

bluehonda
05-12-2010, 12:08 PM
well... need to do that dreaded morph effect. thing is, im not much of scripter. and magic daemon in RF is just not up to the challenge. I need a splash to morph into a character.

thanks for the input.

Phlok
05-12-2010, 01:03 PM
Have you tried doing it "backwards"? I mean, first you use some surface Emission in RealFlow until your chracter is coverd with liquid and then you let the partilces flow away. If you play that backwards, you will have a splash that kind of morphs into a character.

bluehonda
05-12-2010, 02:57 PM
yes have tried that. filling the object - no problem. let it get blown away - no problem. making it look like a nice splash like what RF usually do. Thats the problem. we can only make it look like its getting blown. but after you reverse the sim. doesn't look like a splash that turns into something. looks like a big clump of separated particles turning into a character.

more RnD, i guess.

Phlok
05-14-2010, 10:09 AM
Well, the "reverse" technique might be looking better if you didn't fill the whole character with water but emitted water frum the chars surface, only. Then use a high amount of "sticky" on the char, e.g. 1000 that will help making the details come out.

This should result in less particles and it won't give you such a mess as the other technique.

Albo
05-14-2010, 04:25 PM
I'm not sure of how you can do the second part of your question, but regarding the first part...
In Maya you create a new particle shape and use the RF particles as a goal. Then animating the goals you can have your particles doing what you like when you need.

Alberto

mandark1011
05-14-2010, 04:49 PM
can you not do your sim in maya then export the particles to realflow for meshing. I know the nparticle liquid solve is primitive compared to realflow but it may just give you the starting point you need to make something from realflow look better

bluehonda
05-15-2010, 12:18 PM
Im trying now to do the whole particle morph in maya. I tried using particleMorph plugin from CreativeCrash, but the plugin wont install. Anyone else tried that plugin from CreativeCrash?

stooch
05-17-2010, 04:37 AM
actually you can do this quite easily, not very fast though. just go through every particle in the realflow bin reader and apply its attributes to a separate maya particle system, you can inherit velocity etc. I ended up writing a quick expression that even let me select every nth particle to speed up the cache playback, i used realflow sims to replace blood droplets with glass shards and made the shards explode from where the realflow droplets landed, using nparticles that inherited the realflow velocities and then collided with maya geometry and force fields.

to do the morph effect, try using ncloth, it can look like water if properly shaded and if you play with the settings to get the movement right, try using nparticles filling the ncloth object to preserve volume. maybe a hybrid realflow - maya ncloth solution might work.

bluehonda
05-19-2010, 02:41 AM
@stooch- i'll give ncloth a try.

@Albo - i tried what you said about particle goals. and i think its very promising. Good thinkin! I created my splash in realflow. and imported the particles in Maya. then goaled my maya particles to the RF particles. then animated the goals. so that at a certain point in time the maya particles will goal to another particle system. that which is my character, with surface goaled particles.

just having a bit of trouble smoothing out the transition from one goal to another goal.

thanks.

brjig
05-20-2010, 01:58 AM
in realflow there should be a attractor deamon that will attract particles to the closest point/face on a mesh. digital tutors should have a tutorial on it. its under realflow in the basic lessons.

i dont have realflow in front of me soo i cant tell u the steps right now.

Phlok
05-20-2010, 03:32 PM
Try the new morph plug in in RealFlow 5. I am not sure if comes shipped with the demo. That should do the job.

CGTalk Moderation
05-20-2010, 03:32 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.