PDA

View Full Version : Motion graphics

Delude
05-11-2010, 11:12 PM
hi all! :)

these are some clips i made to participate in the Kraak & Smaak \ Resolume Contest (http://www.resolume.com/blog/)

http://vimeo.com/11255925
http://vimeo.com/11246201
http://vimeo.com/11256397

well i did win 3rd place, but since its not 1st, and K&S are not gonna use them, i can keep them for my own vjing project, and so i would like your opinion on them for further improvement

so fire away, about concept, execution, colors, motion or anything else

ps: of course the logos and type are not mine so that will be gone\replaced

Bergquist
05-14-2010, 09:27 AM
Hi Tiago,
These all look kinna cool to me.

I'm sure there are things to critique on and make better, but I'm not good enough at this type of work to tell you what they might be...
Sorry I'm not more help, but I do really like what you've got going so far!

all the best,
-Bergquist

adamdaly
05-14-2010, 11:00 AM
I think that in the first and second clip your camera work could use some more finesse. At the minute the movements kinda look like they have been keyframed and haven't had any adjustments using the curves.

adam

Delude
05-14-2010, 11:46 AM
thanks for the replys :)

@Bergquist, no problem, thanks anyway

@adamdaly,

what do you mean by adjustments using curves?
time curves? spline, linear, etc?

dont know if its this is it, but there's in fact one camera that didnt came out well when editing, and it is between 7s-8s in the first clip, i should have changed that to linear so the accelaration wouldn't be noticed...

where do you see camera problems on the 2nd clip ?

Nysuatro
05-14-2010, 12:46 PM
By doing more easing in/out you could get more speed and flexibility in your movement.
Your movements are a bit to lineair against the music you are using.

adamdaly
05-14-2010, 02:25 PM
didn't really see any problems, but i feel that the camera work was a little too generic. From my own experience i now put a lot more emphasis on the camera work than i used too.

I'd study loads of motion graphic videos on youtube and vimeo to get ideas to make the camera movement more exciting.

adam

designingpatrick
05-15-2010, 12:52 AM
Yeah camera for sure- let's not be Peter Pan, unless you want that effect. Usually quick cuts and simple pans will do a good job, if the animation is doing its job.

Delude
05-17-2010, 09:34 PM
i presume your talking about the one with the fast swirls :D

because that one was a base concept the intention was to show the whole environment precisely to give a taste of the possibilities, ex: the switch ppl could be partying under a tree, climbing rocks, picking LEDs, run after the catle and so on

lots of little loops could be drawn from it, like the one you see where he's just riding through the land...

fortunatly in this particular case the swirl fitted in well and helped to sell it, and you really nailed it with the term :D its like a "welcome to plastic land" comercial

not to say your not spot on with that remark though because if i flashback to my 3d footage, i must admit im a little bit guilty of precisely that, and your right sometimes i could show a lot more exagerating a lot less ...

looking at the midi box concept, after i had posted on vimeo, i really was like... "wtf? how did i came up with this? this is normally not what i do from scratch...and it works"
because it was made on crunch time and because it was more of a centerpiece it worked well to show the concept building up instead of breaking it down, so it came out both concept and like mini-clips\loops at the same time

and altough while vj'ing you have live scratch possibilities and nowadays cue points, the same doesnt go for footage that once its done, its sealed... motion graphics, comercials etc...

so, i had tought about it, and i was not really sure, so im glad you said "peter pan" it really got me thinking and made me think of how i will look both at camera and editing in the future when im doing MG's for clients other than myself (this contest was if you will my 1st MG's "job" if you will)

thanks mate :)

btw there's two things i'm pointing out: one clip does not have leds on the trees "axis were flipped due to moving the file to render in another computer (surprised that no one has mentioned it) and one editing mistake barely visible in the peter pan video

other than that more c&c are welcome, be it more advice on camera or anytthing else

designingpatrick
05-17-2010, 09:38 PM
Cool! Glad my message came through. In any case, the work is great! Keep kicking ass. But, along the topic of criticism, do your best to use that enthusiasm to push the envelope- motion graphics have found a comfortable place in the whiz-bang world.

CGTalk Moderation
05-17-2010, 09:38 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.