PDA

View Full Version : lighting a zombie scene

mnickell
05-11-2010, 05:14 PM
hey all, i've modeled this guy a while ago and got my brother to animate it. i'm now working on the lighting and want to make this thing pretty bad ass. not being a lighting guy myself, i'm looking for all the help you got. unfortunately, i'm also not an animator so i won't be reworking any camera angles or anything.

as for the lighting set up, i am using mental ray in maya 2009. i have a directional light with a mib_cie_d plugged into it with a temp of around 7500 and the intensity is around 1ish for the moonlight. there is also 4 point lights around the room for a fill light kind of deal with the same mib_cie_d settings. in the lamp is another point light with a mib_blackbody with a temp of 3200 and an intensity of around 2300. all lights are working with a quadratic fall off. so far, only the lamp and the moon are casting shadows.

as i said, i'm using mental ray and raytracing, GI, and FG with fairly high settings on them all. i'm working to get a bit of a motion blur deal going as well on my brother's request.

obvious issues needing a remedy (with your help): whatever is happening with the lamp (currently just a glowing sphere inside and a tiny amount of transparency on the shade). and the windows. they have an alpha channel on them but i have no idea how to render that so the lighting can still go through the alpha channel without having to affect their render stats.

so here's the beast...

http://img146.imageshack.us/img146/5238/mailu.jpg

open it up in a new tab for a better look.

stuh505
05-11-2010, 08:55 PM
I can't help you with the lighting but here's some crits.

The cracked window needs a lot more detail.

The blood on the wall looks like it is bump mapped. This looks wrong. Perhaps change the speculatrity but looks really weird with it having a bump.

Also the floor looks like it could really benefit from some normal bump and/or displacement mapping. At this oblique angle it really stands out that tis just a plane.

Molte
05-13-2010, 09:13 AM
Try to kill all the lights inside the room except for the lamp, and make a really strong white square area light outside the window shining inn.

Change the lamp to a point area light, Try switching the lamp to not cast shadow while you tweak inn the intensity of lights.

When you have a really contrasty image that has been tweaked with those two lights, you can slowly start adding fill lights from the room (behind the camera).

CGTalk Moderation
05-13-2010, 09:13 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.