PDA

View Full Version : NCloth won't work after opening scene. Maya 8.5

Feeank
05-11-2010, 04:38 PM
Hi there, I'm doing a character that uses a t-shirt, I solve the Ncloth, make adjustments, it all runs smooth as silk, I save the scene and come back the next day to continue working, when I open the scene the solver doesn't work at all, hitting play on the time slider controls crashes maya. I deleted the cache form the scene and it did the same. It happened today again for the second time, first time I guessed it was something I did wrong on the shirt model, but the topology is clean as well as the body geometry. If anyone had anything like it happen in the past and found a solution to it I would really appreciate the advice. Thanks in advance.

Feeank
05-12-2010, 06:14 PM
Nevermind, just went to a previous save and it worked all right, maybe the cache got corrupted on the other files, don't know.

I would recommend to save as often as possible when working with ncloth, especcially if you're using the cache constantly, save the files with cache with a differente naming convention just in case.

evolross
05-21-2010, 06:08 PM
I have a simliar problem that keeps happening. I have several nCloth-based hairs that move around in a closeup. I solve them and they look great and work fine. I save. Then when I reopen the scene and press play, the solver will simply not solve. Nothing happens with the nCloth hairs.

It also happens sometimes after I save the motions to an nCache. I'll delete the nCache, then the solver refuses to solve. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.

Now I have an end-of-day deadline and I can't get my scene to solve at all. I've checked the enabled flags on my Nucleus instance and on all my nCloth objects. All of them are either on or get keyframed on (in the case of the hairs). I've checked to make sure all nCaches are deleted and/or disabled. Nothing is working. I usually just play around for a while and somehow it starts solving again, but I'm never sure what I did to cause it to work.

Does anyone know why this is happening? I'm using Maya 2010.

newnimator
05-21-2010, 06:27 PM
for me, i guess try checking the starFrame attribute of nCloth. because sometimes Maya by default the timeline starts on frame 1. and the startFrame of ncloth starts on frame 0. Im not so sure but you can try.
Another possible answer is before saving the file, make sure its on the startFrame. Or even its not on the startFrame, make sure it has cache so when you open the file, there will be no "calculating" of cloth.

evolross
05-21-2010, 06:43 PM
Going to Modify -> Evaluate Nodes -> Ignore All and then going to Modify -> Evaluate Nodes -> Evaluate All seems to "shock" the solver into working again.

Annoyingly it enables all my nCloth hairs on the first frame so I have to delete this keyframe to get them back to where I have them keyed to "turn on".

This is weird because under the Evaluate Nodes sub-menu, they were all already checked, before I set them to ignore and then evaluate again. I still think I'm not doing something right, but as long as I can get the thing solving again, I'm good.

Thanks for the tip. I checked my start frame and they're all on 1. Maybe I should use this setting to "start" my nCloth objects and not key the isDynamic setting. Though, when the solver is actually solving, the isDynamic flag does the trick of keying when they start simulating.

CGTalk Moderation
05-21-2010, 06:43 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.