PDA

View Full Version : Some parenting/template questions

GearSpinner
05-10-2010, 07:40 AM
Hey guys. I'm wondering if somebody could help me with a couple of issues I'm having with my rig UI (made with curves). I've already set up a number of expressions and set driven keys and build the UI, but I now realize that I need to have the handles selectable, but the boundaries non-selectable. Unfortunately, the handles are children of the boundaries.

I've tried making the boundaries template objects, but since they are the parents of the handles, the handles then become template objects as well. In an example file I have, this is not the case but I can't figure out how they did it. How can I template the boundary element without templating the handle?

I'm also wondering if there is a way to move something out of the parent group without changing its world coordinates. I tried the checkbox "preserve position" the unparent dialog box, but the object still moves to another location when unparented.

Thanks for any help you can give :)

gonzalimator
05-10-2010, 09:00 AM
To answer your first question, one technique is to apply a display override on the child object. Select your object, open the Attribute Editor and go to Display>Drawing Overrides. Enable Overrides and select the Display Type "Normal".

As for your second question I could only guess as to why that might be happening. Did you lock any channels? (locked channels will prevent Maya from changing the position after unparenting.) You could always upload an example file of the problem if you get stumped.

Darksuit
05-10-2010, 03:40 PM
This is what you are attempting to do I believe (See attached)

In the File I have gone through and Made a template of the Control Holder and the Words via the Attribute Editor.

GearSpinner
05-11-2010, 12:35 PM
Guys

Thanks for the help!! Yes, I found the template flag under Object Display in the attributes and setting that did the trick without templating the object's children, but I couldn't figure out what setting the Drawing Overrides to Normal does. Thanks though, that led me in the right direction, and now it seems to be working fine :)

gonzalimator
05-11-2010, 07:45 PM
The first line in Darksuit's signature explains it pretty well.

The method I mentioned relies on one using Drawing overrides instead of using Display>Object Display>Template (which I believe only works if you are templating the shapes and not the transforms, otherwise the children are affected). You could group a bunch of objects, the majority of which you wish to display templated and apply the drawing override Template to the group and everything below is templated (or put the group in a layer and change to template). Then for a child object that you wish to be selectable, set the drawing override to normal. In the attached file I Templated (override) the Eyes_Group and used the Normal override on the controls.

I don't know if there are any pitfalls with this method, so if anyone knows of any, please let me know.

Darksuit
05-11-2010, 08:12 PM
Marcos it's why I put it in there, if for no other reason to remind myself that there are just so many different ways to do things. I have the ways that I get things done, but other people have different ways that are just as valid.

The only time I really get up on a soapbox about anything is orient constraints and expressions, and that is becuase while they are perfectly valid ways of doing those particular operations, they are usually the worst possible thing to use for what most people use them for. So yes they are valid ways to do things, but its the same thing as saying a flame thower is a perfectly valid way to kill mesquitos (yes it works, and yes it can be awesome, just not in the way you might expect, and it can more often than naught result in a lot of pain and suffering).

CGTalk Moderation
05-11-2010, 08:12 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.