PDA

View Full Version : Star Trek bust - Last minute check

anto-toni
05-09-2010, 10:54 PM
Hi,
I have been working on this image for few weeks now when ever i can find some free time.
My final goal was to explore some of Modo 401 shading and rendering capabilities.
I am almost done with it but since i am looking at it almost every day i am used to it i don't trust my eyes any more. I plant do some facial hairs to like short beard and hair and add some fabric bump on his shirt. Also i have to do badge and metal parts on his collar since these are fake, composed in photoshop.
Can you think of anything that can improve this work or do you see something that i missed?
I think i will leave it for few days and hopefully get some useful advices and observations from you guys and gals.
Regards,
Toni.
http://img188.imageshack.us/img188/7369/stwip.jpg

Meloncov
05-10-2010, 08:45 AM
The bulge above the right eye seems off to me; it's very large, and the skin seems to be moving up from a neutral position without bringing the eyebrow along with it.

anto-toni
05-10-2010, 08:55 AM
Yes the bulge is way off and it represent some kind of injury .
Here is reference image i have been using:
http://img59.imageshack.us/img59/3466/brushtxtr.jpg

Meloncov
05-10-2010, 09:17 AM
I'm pretty sure the lighting in the reference pic is making the bulge seem larger than it actually is.

anto-toni
05-10-2010, 09:25 AM
Thanks Meloncov i appreciate your comment.

Curtj5
05-10-2010, 09:33 AM
my eye is drawn to that gap with the shadow between the bulge and the upper eye lid.

musashidan
05-10-2010, 10:23 PM
Very interesting head ref. For me i think the pore details could be alot sharper. They seem quite blurred which makes the skin look like rubber. On a side note: the com badge looks aliased and seems to be painted onto the uniform rather than a solid metal object.

Also, your Frankenstein character is one of my favourite renders from last year. Great work.

Pietas
05-10-2010, 10:36 PM
Excellent model!
The only thing that I annoys me is the shadow above the eyelids are very dark. The fold over the left eye seems to go so far in that it creates a big gap. On his right eye, the bulge right underneath the shadow area is very sharp. Also the contact point between the shirt and the neck need some AO. They look a bit separate right now.
The highlight seems to be a bit dull. Maybe have a little bit more contrast.
Other than this areas, I think the model is superb.
Not a expert by any means, so take my critique very lightly :)

stuh505
05-11-2010, 02:36 AM
It's very difficult to find fault in this, but here's what I can find.

Most importantly I feel like you need higher res bump map with more detail, especially away from the facial focus: that is on the ears, necks, and top of the head.

Secondly the specular color seems a bit dull, particularly on tjhe top of the forehead

I think the two rank-dots on his collar are too close together.

The uniform itself is just too clean. I have no problem with it being a "clean uniform" but as it stands, it's just so perfectly clean and homogeneous that it doesn't even look real.

Lastly,I might try playing around with the eye position. Will it look more provocative if he is making contact with the viewer?

KMcNamara
05-11-2010, 04:48 AM
Hey man, great model. I think his ear could use a little bit of reforming, it looks a little bit odd to me.

anto-toni
05-11-2010, 09:50 AM
Thanks, these comments are priceless !
Please take some time to read my first thread because seems like few people disregard fact that i already said that badge and rank dots are fake.

CGTalk Moderation
05-11-2010, 09:50 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.