PDA

View Full Version : DesertSpeeder - windshield problems

AndersStensgaard
05-09-2010, 09:03 AM
Hi,

I'm almost considering this one done, but Iím having some problems.

First the windshield, Iím donít know what the problem is, I just think it looks wrong, any ideas on what I can do ??

Also the front is looking dull, I think. But I donít know what to do, Iíve tried some decals, and some other stuff, but it just looks misplaced.

And if thereís some other problems you see, that I havenít noticed. Please let me know..

Thanks,
Anders

Kanga
05-09-2010, 09:35 AM
As far as vehicle design goes this is pretty ordinary. You haven't said what this is for.

Do some research on vehicles.
The model looks cut out against a very ordinary background.
There is no depth ie: dark to light, light to dark.
There is little illusion of movement, blurring the background wont do it.

If I were you I would go back and sketch vehicles like a madman.

AndersStensgaard
05-09-2010, 09:57 AM
Thanks for the quick response,

It's just a personal project, Iíve never really done any vehicles so I thought I should start.
So yes I definitely have to draw many more vehicles, and I am. But I just wanted to take one of them a bit further.

Iím not sure what you mean with the depth problem, do you mean between the vehicle and ground? Or in the entire scene?

How else can I increase the illusion of movement, is it the composition?

cheers,

Wiro
05-09-2010, 09:46 PM
What Kanga is pointing out is the lack of colour values. This is a desert with sun coming from straight overhead (or so the shadow tells) yet it's almost completely bright beneath the speeder. Even the drop shadow is just barely dark. Sure the sand would bounce a lot of light up but you're talking about the sun in a desert being your primary here...lots of contrast.

You should look into the perspective of your motion blurred sand too. It goes off outside the screen-right but the speeder suggests the vanishing point is just up the corner.

The windscreen looks off because it's not reflecting the environment, you're just seeing through it. At that angle it would reflect the sky and thus be pretty blown out. But a white or pale blue windscreen would look boring so I'd put in some reflections of far-away mountains too.

As for the design, I don't mind it. It's simple and to the point. Not overly exciting but a good one to "get out of the way" on your way to better vehicle designs.

Wiro

AndersStensgaard
05-10-2010, 10:44 AM
Thanks for the response Wiro..

I still think the perspective of the ground is a bit funky, but donít know why ? It should be going to the same vanishing point as the speeder now..

Is the reflections in the windshield better now ?

Cheers,
Anders

Quadart
05-10-2010, 12:33 PM
Your perspective is way off between the vehicle and the ground plane. The racerís horizontal plane is not parallel with the ground plane. The perspective on the vehicle is pretty wonky also. For example, you would not see the racer's right wing at all. Lines donít converge to a Left vanishing point on the same common horizon line as the Right VP.
The green lines show a lack of VP focus. I used the blue lines to try and pin down a Right VP. I painted over the ground to comply with the Right VP.

http://img576.imageshack.us/img576/6590/desertspeederpo.jpg

AndersStensgaard
05-10-2010, 04:10 PM
Wow.. Lots of thanks for the paintover !!

I definitely see my perspective problems way better now.. Iíll try and fix it later today..
And holy mother I need to practice my perspective drawing!!

Cheers,

AndersStensgaard
05-10-2010, 09:47 PM
Hi,
And once again thanks for the help guys...

So I've updated the ground, and tried to fix some the perspective problems on the wings and cockpit..

I don't know about the right wing though.. I know it shouldn't show, but I think it's kind of missing when it's not there, or is it just me ?

If there's anything wrong, please let me know..

Cheers..

Quadart
05-13-2010, 10:15 AM
Your vehicle needs a vertical fin behind the cockpit. That would help take the mind off the imbalance created by not seeing the other horizontal fin.

AndersStensgaard
05-13-2010, 12:50 PM
Ah, okay... That makes sense..

A vertical fin it will get then.. Thanks for the tip..

Cheers,
Anders

CGTalk Moderation
05-13-2010, 12:50 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.