PDA

View Full Version : Miguel Santana - Generalist Reel 2010

silentalibi
05-08-2010, 09:53 PM
Hey everyone, this is my first post, even though I've been lurking for years.

I'm a student of VFX at the University of Hertfordshire in the UK, and have just about finished my first year of study.

I thought I'd post my reel on here and see what you all have to say in terms of content quality etc.

Kanga
05-08-2010, 10:20 PM
I don't see the link please provide one in your post.

silentalibi
05-08-2010, 10:29 PM
Oops, it appeared in the Preview Post, I guess I still need to figure out some bits and bobs for this forum.

http://www.vimeo.com/11371187

Kanga
05-09-2010, 12:41 AM
I wouldnt open with the toy thing, I think you have better models in the reel. The digital painting flicks by a bit quick. The vfx thing is nice except there is only one scene. I wouldnt do that zoomy stuff with the text blocks, looks a little dated. The photography and film thing is nice but I am not sure where it fits in to the package. The warehouse model looks pretty good.

embryotic
05-25-2010, 03:40 AM
I watched you reel and I was really stoked with it, as you should be too ;)

I tried looking at the toy comparison, of course there are some design differences, but there is a difference in the quality of materials - its hard to pinpoint (microbumps?), but that is a very finicky criticism, though if you run those 2 shots together (photo and model) then you are inviting criticisms of their comparisson.

Id hope if I had a reel with a good quality body of work like yours, direction would be a question of how you wanted to express yourself and in which area.

some of the cg live action is weak in the animation area

Inspiring :)

Wiro
05-25-2010, 11:30 AM
Nice reel but I mostly aggree with Kanga. I'm not sure what else to open the reel with than the toy but I'd definitely linger a bit longer on the render before going to the breakdown.
As he said, the crash zoom /radial blur on the titles looks dated and I too think the photography, while really nice, may not fit all that well. It could be something to expand on on your website but perhaps not on a VFX reel.

The rest is pretty good. Would have liked to see more of the splatter shot. What was that device supposed to be?
The enviro and headphones were nice. I'd linger longer on your digipaintings though.
Again, not quite sure about the live action. What did you do on them? Direct? Grade? The reel just seems a bit TOO generalist. Maybe make two reels for photo/film and one for VFX?

Wiro

CGTalk Moderation
05-25-2010, 11:30 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.