PDA

View Full Version : Hallway Lighting

BinkyHunter
05-08-2010, 05:54 PM
Nearly completed lighting of the hallway model from the lighting challenges forum. Lit with mostly splotlights with raytrace shadows. Rendered in Mental Ray, Beauty Pass and Occlusion Pass comp in photoshop. Im using Maya 2009
http://26.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_l244i9tLjS1qbk1ako1_500.png

urgaffel
05-08-2010, 07:59 PM
I don't know which program you're using so I don't know if the following will be possible. The comments are still valid though.

A couple of things;

There seems to be a specular coming from below the bricks which makes them look almost inverted. Make sure you check which lights affect specular and if they shouldn't, set them to affect diffuse only.

The corner under the stair on the right side of the image is too dark, it needs more bounce light from the floor. Maybe use an omni/point light to light up that area a little bit. Remember that you should (be able to) use ranges on the lights so they only affect specific areas if needed.

The foreground looks a bit dark as well, could be slightly brighter.

The brick is a bit boring by itself, how about some old plaster? I know it doesn't have anything to do with the lighting but it could make the scene slightly more alive. Also, the raised planks doesn't look like they correspond to the actual texture so they look a bit odd, just raised squares. They would also have lighter sides, at the moment they are baically black which outlines them and makes them stand out.

It's a good start but needs mroe work.

Meloncov
05-09-2010, 08:21 AM
I think your key light is too dim. Full daylight on a fairly clear day should be brighter than that. Also, think about where the sun is: the light coming through the window directly in front of the viewer is dramatically brighter than the window to the viewer's left, but doesn't seem to be direct sunlight, which doesn't make a whole lot of sense. Finally, the volumetric lighting isn't really working for me, though that may just be a symptom of the issues I mentioned above.

BinkyHunter
05-11-2010, 05:53 AM
alright heres a newer version. redid the texturing on the floor, the walls, and the stucco. also adjusted the intensities of the lights, changed the way the occlusion was being compd, and took away the volumetric for now. the issue of the wierd specular on the brick under the stairs turned out to be the bump maps fault but it doesnt matter now since i changed it :).
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v113/plainoldryan/fixed.png

I will be adding another image im working on as well. should i just add it to this thread or start another???

Ryan

Kev3D
05-11-2010, 06:37 AM
I like that a lot better then your first render. Especially the wall texture.

DOF doesn't look right to me. For instance, one of the posts looks like it's sharp while the one just next to it looks soft. Furthermore, what is supposed to be in focus? The leading lines and intensity levels make the window look like the center of interest and yet they are out of focus.

The wood texture on the floor still looks bad I'm afraid. For one it's too soft and, two, it still doesn't line up with the planks. It probably needs a subtle bump map and some soft fresnel reflections. The high contrast texture might work with a bit more effort but to me, it doesn't look like the kind of wood that floor boards are made of. Look at some reference of old floor boards.

Concrete of the arch looks bland, especially when compared to the rough wall, you could probably look at roughening up the texture a bit.

What are the stairs made of? Looks kinda like blue velvet or something to me. Look at reference for the material you are trying to replicate. Should it have a bit of reflectivity in there? Some bump? A specular map?

Gray roof support arch things, again, what are they made of?

Reference reference reference.

BinkyHunter
05-11-2010, 06:54 AM
thanks for the input. im having trouble with the DOF. im used to shake and using z-defocus from when i was at school and now that i graduated i'm currently using after effects on a PC at home. any tips or tricks?

the floor ive been having trouble with this whole time...part of it is my lack in willpower to re-layout the UVs and make everything match up with a good floor panel texture. More than likely I will end up doing it tomorrow.

thanks for pointing out the arches, i think i may have forgotten a bump on them.

Kev3D
05-11-2010, 07:33 AM
The After Effects lens blur has certain limitations when it comes to rendering out decent DOF effects. The Frishcluft Lenscare plugin is a lot better. If you want to ad some DOF, it only needs to be subtle, maybe just on the floor nearest the camera. Have you had a look at the gallery of images from the challenge? Very few have DOF and if they do it's subtle.

More general thoughts then specific points about this image:
It's not easy to get it to look really good. It's not as simple as putting the right materials on the separate elements (find good wood texture, put it on floor, find good brick texture, put it on wall) you need to think about how all the elements go together. What was the architect thinking when he originally designed this place? what was it for? Was it an assylum or maybe a gallery? What time of year is it? where is it? I think if you give it a back story, it'll make it easier to make decisions about lighting, textures, props etc.

urgaffel
05-11-2010, 06:29 PM
The dof doesn't really work all that well since it makes it feel almost like a macro photo (miniature). Also, the previous point about the light square on the floor being too dim still stands, it feels like it should be brighter since it's lighting up the rest of the room so much. It's an improvement but I'd lose the dof to begin with, you don't really need it. Or be very subtle with it like Morlankey suggests.

stuh505
05-11-2010, 09:28 PM
There's a lot of detail on the brick walls right now but nowhere else, you should
try to get that same level of detail everywhere.

The color coordination on the ceiling seems really off. I've never seen
mahogany ceilings before and it doesn't fit in comparison to the dirty old
walls. How about making the ceiling be old, covered in dirt and coberbs and filled
with lots of old falling-apart plumbing and dingy wires.

The lamp and the crossbars on the ceiling also look off. One is bright green
the other bright silver. By the way the lamp needs more polys because I can see
the edges! And if it's there, turn the light on. Otherwise I'd say just take it out.

The floor is desperately needing some sense of 3D. I can see you made some of the boards
bumping up but this isn't enough. You should put a normal map on the floor that corresponds
with wood texture. Also the floor just looks very empty...maybe put some old empty
cardboard boxes and random junk+trash in the corners.

The blue stairs, also, look out of place color-wise.

So do the poles. Nobody would make such tall wooden poles. They just look weird and should be
removed I think.

BinkyHunter
05-12-2010, 03:48 AM
heres an update, DOF removed and i finally sat down and spent some time on the floor. Good point on the lamp if its not lighting up why be there at all so i removed it. I also changed the stairs to help go with the colors of the rest of the piece. Taking out the green lamp also helped with that.

I really appreciate everybody's help, this piece has come a long way from the very first render i did.

Thank You to everyone!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v113/plainoldryan/hallway_done.png

urgaffel
05-12-2010, 11:13 AM
Whoa, nice improvement. One thing that looks a bit odd is the bright area on the wall around the window. It looks too bright, like you have a spotlight shining on the window from inside. You wouldn't get that much bounced light unless there was a white wall really close to the window so maybe tone that down a bit?

BinkyHunter
05-12-2010, 04:59 PM
thanks urgaffel, i'm working on a few other pieces right now for a lighting demo reel. do you guys think i should just post them up on this thread and continue what we've been doing or start a new one????

JWRodegher
05-12-2010, 05:25 PM
I would post a thread by piece of work, or maybe put pieces alike in the same thread. But if you post them all in the same thread the feedback might become confusing.

Nice improving in the hallway! I would second the idea of tone down the brightness in the wall around the window. It looks like thereīs a light from inside lighting that wall. And mayyybe add some more bounce light under the stairs and the wall bellow, but just a bit. The texture on the wall with the arc shape seems like it could do with a bit more work. Itīs too uniform and the shader looks like it has too much spec, or itīs just me. I would add some dirt maybe, or mix some other pics to make an irregular texture. But thatīs just nitpicking I think.

It would be cool to see the other pieces youīre working at! :D

BinkyHunter
05-12-2010, 05:56 PM
thanks for the comment, i'll start another thread and probably put my other two pieces in it and go from there. thanks guys

CGTalk Moderation
05-12-2010, 05:56 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.