PDA

View Full Version : A question about 3d object in after effects

Kayzer
05-08-2010, 02:16 PM
Lets say i made a 3d object in maya, imported it to photoshop, saved it as a psd file and then imported it to after effects using photoshop live 3d. It imported it as a composition, now, i can modify the 3d object (for example - its rotation and such) only within its composition in which it was imported.. But cant i composite a few 3d objects in an after effects scene and create a 3d scene with a camera to fly around those 3d objects?

Mylenium
05-08-2010, 06:07 PM
No, you can't. The same limitations apply that also affect other 3D plug-ins like Particular or Freeform - the layer is just a window into their own 3D universes, but not part of a global contiguous 3D space.

Mylenium

fyckfaco
05-10-2010, 02:07 PM
Actually thats not stictly true, you can have as many 3d layers in that comp as you need, and as long as you keep track of the 3d layers expessions (ie controller later name and camera name) in respect of the control laters, then you can add multiple 3d layers no problem.

For your example:

I would create your 3d scene inside after effects complete with 3d camera.
Import all the 3d psds you need,
Make sure all your 3d layers are named individually in the psds, this is so the layers have different controller names in respect to eachother (means no work with expressions). Then copy paste the 3d live layer and controller from each comp into your main 3d comp.
You should now have multiple 3d layers (somewhere) in your scene. I keep a 3d null handy so i can copy transform data from that to my 3d live layer controllers.

Dont forget to make your psd the same res as your comp... You dont wanna move the 3d live layers inside your comp, infact you can lock it.

Mylenium
05-11-2010, 05:41 AM
Actually thats not stictly true, you can have as many 3d layers in that comp as you need, and as long as you keep track of the 3d layers expessions (ie controller later name and camera name) in respect of the control laters, then you can add multiple 3d layers no problem.

But they won't mutually obscure correctly, which is the whole point. So strictly speaking, it's not possible.

Mylenium

fyckfaco
05-11-2010, 08:20 AM
Well that depends what hes trying to do doesnt it, he doesnt specifically say he needs them too.
If hes trying something that should be done in a 3d package then fair enough, but his task is unlikly to be that detailed since 3d live doesnt really look that great compared to a rendered shot.
I answered the question he asked thats all, its more useful info than no you cant, even if its not what he needs.

Mylenium
05-11-2010, 04:19 PM
Yes of course. It's just that rewiring all those expressions and handling all those helper layers can get quite annoying, so it's probably often not worth the trouble...

Mylenium

Kayzer
05-12-2010, 06:06 PM
like i thought.. but just wanted to make sure.. thanks everybody for your answers!

CGTalk Moderation
05-12-2010, 06:06 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.