PDA

View Full Version : Maintain detail from zbrush to max ? methods ?

khorask
05-08-2010, 06:14 AM
Just finished my model in zbrush and want to make the move to Max (currently at sub div 7 and 15 mil polys)..

I've experimented with displacement maps applied to my low poly model but cant seem to regain the level of detail (or anywhere near the level of detail) I had in zbrush. I've tried both the displace modifier and displacement maps within a material on my base mesh. I then tried the same methods on a higher poly model (sub div 3-5), but single MR buckets took up to 30 minutes to render EACH :s

Is there a 'best' or preferred method used by most to get their model from zbrush to max when trying to maintain detail?

Thanks...

patpotlood
05-08-2010, 11:27 AM
do you know gomax?
http://www.zbrushcentral.com/showthread.php?t=81506&page=1&pp=15

khorask
05-08-2010, 10:58 PM
do you know gomax?
http://www.zbrushcentral.com/showthread.php?t=81506&page=1&pp=15

nope.. but it looks interesting..

hotknife
05-09-2010, 07:20 PM
Try creating a normal map of the higher resolution detail. So in ZB move down from your highest subd' a couple of levels and then make a normal map, this will create a map of just the finer details. wrinkles skin pores etc that don't necessarily displace then surface of the model.
You don't really want to try and displace skin pore detail for example.

Arcanox
05-10-2010, 09:04 PM
I've been working with the same thing lately. My suggestions:

If you have a model with only 7 levels of detail, and no HD geometry... then that's good. HD geometry can only be picked up by displacement and normal maps at the lowest level of resolution. Say if you have 5 levels of normal geometry, and two levels of HD geometry, it can be tricky to get all of the detail in your model.

If you have just 7 levels of straight geometry, go up to a level in the middle and do your displacement projection from something that's a reasonable resolution. If you go from the lowest resolution for displacement, tight areas do not translate over as well. For some reason, the PA Blur value under Tool:Geometry must be set to 8. By default it's 10, and greyed out, so you might have to append a subtool so you can change that value, and then remove the subtool again. It makes a big difference in the quality of the displacement.

Might want to look at this: http://www.pixologic.com/docs/index.php/Displacement_Maps_in_3.5

Flip-V is a useful setting so you don't have to flip your map
Scale factor is fine by default
3 Channels is very important because Max can only read greyscale 32 and not RGB. Make sure it's on.
32Bit is also important because it ensures the map is a 32 bit displacement.

I prefer exporting the map as a .tiff

To get the displacement out of Max, I don't use the mentalray displacement. In most cases, you can just add a turbo smooth (add 1-2 subdivisions in the viewport for preview purposes, 3-4 subdivisions for rendering purposes). Then put a displacement modifier over top of that. Plug in the displacement map you made from zbrush and you should have most of your detail transferred over.

You can also add a normal map on top of that and it should give you all the detail you need.

CGTalk Moderation
05-10-2010, 09:04 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.