PDA

View Full Version : Inquiry about preliminary picture process

Dacon
05-07-2010, 10:51 PM
I've been doing a lot of thumbnail sketches to improve perspective and overall picture composition, but I've been wondering.

Is it best to rough in the background first, then scale the figures to the background, or is it better the other way around? I've been experimenting with both, and I have considered that this may very well play heavily on personal preference. However, it never hurts to get another artist's perspective on the issue, and learn what works for them does it?

Lunatique
05-08-2010, 05:46 AM
I think it depend on the focal length of the camera, the perspective, and the subject matter. If you know it's a wide-angle shot of a city with the main characters walking in it, then you need to establish the parameters of your background, as the entire composition relies on how you establish the focal length and camera angle. If it's an intimate portrait of a person, then the background is not nearly as important, and you can compose your image concentrating on the figure itself.

Dacon
05-17-2010, 08:54 AM
Crap, I forgot I made this thread.

Thank you for the reply. What do you mean by "focal length" if I may ask?

Lunatique
05-17-2010, 02:36 PM
Focal length describes the lens of the camera--12mm, 35mm, 50mm, 75mm, 100mm and so on (in movies it's usually described as extreme-wide, wide, medium, close-up, extreme close-up...etc).

Dacon
05-17-2010, 08:20 PM
Ah ok, I get it now thanks.

CGTalk Moderation
05-17-2010, 08:20 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.