PDA

View Full Version : Stylized Head Sculpt

Zepher
05-07-2010, 11:29 PM
So here's my first post on the focused critique forum, which is, I believe, exactly what I need to develop further.

I just started with a basic head and sort of augmented the shape that was there to emphasize it. I have a vague concept in my head as to what I'd like the final composition to look like, but at this stage I'm concerned primarily about making the style striking. It is my fear that the head is simply too 'standard' and not terribly interesting. Any tips or inclinations as to what would improve the base at this stage would be greatly appreciated. Many thanks in advance! :)

http://img16.imageshack.us/img16/7872/flattenbrushimage.jpg

Kanga
05-08-2010, 02:57 PM
Yeah, the head is generic atm. You have some planes but not all planes that would help expression. For instance by the nose there are way more planes that connect the eye and the nose ridge. The mastoid looks a little weak. No brow muscles, in fact you are missing quite a few muscles in general.

Zepher
05-10-2010, 03:33 AM
Thank you for the critique. I've been trying to take a closer look at muscle anatomy as per your advice, and it certainly is something I need to work with. This represents a bit of work I've tried to add to the upper face, focusing on the area around the nose and eyes.

Updated with a more recent render
http://img571.imageshack.us/img571/7872/flattenbrushimage.jpg

urgaffel
05-12-2010, 12:36 PM
It feels vaguely clay-like, is that intentional?

stuh505
05-13-2010, 03:48 AM
It still needs a brow. What happened to the stylization?

Zepher
05-13-2010, 04:22 AM
@urgaffel:
Not intentional. Is that because of the actual sculpting or the materials do you suspect? I'm hoping to fix whatever it is that's making it feel that way. :)

@stuh505:
You're very correct about the brow, and I'll try to fix that as well. As for the stylization, I was planning to get the base solid and then go back and re-add in that sharp feel. I figured that the basic shape at the beginning was just too lacking, but we'll see how it turns out. :)

abbeytermeer
05-13-2010, 04:48 AM
who is the character? certain features can emphasize a character's demeanor and proportion control can really tell you a lot about who he is.

Zepher
05-14-2010, 09:24 PM
@ Auria:
You're very right, so I went ahead and got a hold of a reference shot to use. The ultimate goal of this exercise is to create a sort of futuristic soldier expressing weariness.

Here is a shot of some of the changes made to the center of the face.
http://img15.imageshack.us/img15/1497/soldierfaceshowcase.jpg

In addition, here is the reference photograph I'm using to help get that certain look. I'm hoping it will help when bringing back in some of the sharp feeling as the subject seems to have some very sharp bone structure himself.

http://www.anglonautes.com/hist_us_20_ww2_pacific/hist_us_20_ww2_pic_burma_campaign_soldier_cig_1944.jpg

There is still a lot of work to be done, but please shoot me any critiques that might help out, and thanks for all of the critiques so far as well! :)

designingpatrick
05-14-2010, 11:11 PM
The stylized is cool. I recommend going back to that, working at the lowest subdiv level possible- make use of your ability to focus or blur your eyes. The nose could be be a taller mountain, the eyes deeper canyons, the chin (and below the lower lip) don't really match the image reference.

After you starting detailing the bust, everything got super lumpy- yuck!

But the early version is great, do what you can to hold on to that as you add more realistic features.

Zepher
05-15-2010, 05:06 AM
@ designingpatrick:
Thanks for the encouragement, I've attempted to smooth out some of the lumpiness, though there is more still to do, especially around the mouth and lower face area.

I'm having a lot of concern about the eyelids especially. I really want to nail the eyes, as I suspect they are going to be what really draws the focus in the final image. Here's an image of some of the slight tweaks I've managed today. Not much, but it's something.

http://img21.imageshack.us/img21/1497/soldierfaceshowcase.jpg

Zepher
05-20-2010, 09:46 AM
I've began with some color in order to bring some life to the sculpt. The eye textures are placeholders for the moment. I've tried to just block in the basic color zones of the face so far. In the final product I am going to dirty him up a lot, most likely along with some slight blood and wounds.

I am especially concerned that I may be losing the stylized look too much and am wondering if I ought to go with a further simplified image, or go ahead and lean more towards realistic. Any input is greatly appreciated. :)

http://img717.imageshack.us/img717/1497/soldierfaceshowcase.jpg

Airflow
05-20-2010, 11:05 AM
I would suggest more style. Your main problem is lack of reference. If you go google art-deco or sculpture than it will give you some ideas. As it is it seems you had a vauge idea and worked on that but it was not visually clear and you lost your way.
Concept art exists for this very reason. Find some images, create a mood board, circle what you like from this board, then try to come up with something based on your selections, if you can draw, draw some concepts, then after this stage you start 3d work.

Kanga
05-20-2010, 11:16 AM
Yes, getting stuck on one head is a bit of a danger. Sketching heads and speed sculpting (no more than 1 hour on each one) will bring you better results faster. Alternate between male and female so you dont develop a lop sided eye.

Zepher
05-20-2010, 09:25 PM
Thank you for the advice. These are things I need to do, of course, though I feel the need to express that this piece does need to come to completion. I am trying to get a portfolio to showcase my current skills in order to apply to a school before the fall. As it stands, my current portfolio is composed of exactly zero works. Needless to say, that is a few works short of a proper showcase.

While I am concerned with getting my technique down pat and learning all of the proper ways of tackling a project, I also am pressed for time and must get several completed works done. They do not have to be perfect, but they do have to be to a practical level. As such, I am primarily concerned about getting this piece as good as I can make it myself.

With that said, is there anything in particular that is keeping this sculpt back at the moment? Is the personality not strong enough, or not there at all? Again, this does not have to be perfect, just looking good for what it is.

Kanga
05-21-2010, 02:14 PM
Is it in perspective? P key in zb.

This looks ok I guess. If you are only trying to get into a school then it is probably alright. It wont sell in the outside world though, you need to practice like I said. The forms are stiff and there is no sss I think but that is only cosmetic. You need to go to the core on all your work. Cut em off at the knees, take no prisoners!

DoctorMonkeyFist
05-22-2010, 01:48 AM
That's a great start! My view is that if something is stylized, it should be obvious, especially if you are new to modeling. I often feel like people make things a little stylized because they don't know anatomy well enough. but if you are just applying to school, I'm sure its fine. You probably should attempt a realistic head at some point though. Good luck!

imageen
05-25-2010, 03:50 AM
try putting skin pores and little wrinkles, it helps a lot

designingpatrick
05-25-2010, 06:37 PM
From what I've learned- adding micro level detail is the LAST thing you want to do. There are too many structural opportunities to pursue prior to thinking about texture/surface detail.

Take it from experience- go to subdivision level 1 form the geometry until there is absolutely nothing wrong with it. Then subdivision level 2 and repeat.

If this were for a game, your lowest level would be everything, and the profile would show it.

Zepher
06-04-2010, 07:13 AM
Thanks for all the advice guys, and sorry for not updating hardly at all. Hard to find time these days. :(

Here's a little update on the collar/suit top he'll be wearing. It's extremely lumpy right now, but once it hits the final form it should be nice and smooth, with a good deal of vibrant colors and a much better emblem. Just hoping to get any feedback on the overall form of the thing at this stage.

http://img526.imageshack.us/img526/1306/soldier34.jpg

CGTalk Moderation
06-04-2010, 07:13 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.