PDA

View Full Version : sinister demon

Bran
05-07-2010, 08:53 AM
hi there,

"focused critique" is a great idea, so i immediately uploaded a WIP.

i'm currently working on an image that will be a cd coverartwork for a newfounded band.
it should show a kind of sexy demon on an old wooden throne.
a dark, devilish atmosphere is demanded, and it must not be banal nor boring.

some problems i discovered on my own:
- atmosphere is not morbid/evil enough ._.
- the color palette
- how can i darken the image without losing details in the darker areas?

now, it's your turn. please tell me what's going wrong.

http://img156.imageshack.us/img156/7754/evilrl.jpg

Deje3D
05-07-2010, 03:19 PM
It looks cool :)

How do you want it to feel?

And where do you want people to look?

I look at first on the left leg in the front, because it is there the biggest contrast is. But i personal think the face would be more interresting.

Roughly you can devide your picture in two. The girl, and the background. The Girl is the biggest object, and background is a bit smaller. I think it could add to a more interesting composition if you added a small foreground object. So you got, Big, Medium and small.

Is it on purpose the sword is in the center?

I think you could stack the values in the background a bit more, to get some more depth. So it would be more Dark - Light - Dark - Light - Dark and so on.

Your rendering looks cool :D Good luck with the pic.

artquest
05-07-2010, 05:11 PM
First off I want to say that I very much like the style and direction of this piece. The character and props are interesting and the background provides some mystery. I took the opportunity to test out my new wacom tablet (haven't been able to paint anything with it yet) and decided to do a paint over.

Are you using photoshop or painter? If you're using photoshop then overlay layers are your best friend for darkening areas and changing the mood of an image. I used nothing but overlay layers and 1 normal mode layer for this paint over. I treat overlay layers as though I'm mixing a lot of water with a little bit of acrylic paint. It's very much like a wash and using this technique you can change the mood, lighting, and build up shapes and volumes very quickly. Another option is using dodge and burn. I like using overlay layers instead of dodge and burn because not only can I lighten and darken but I have more control over the color of my highlight. With an overlay layer you can use black, white or anything in between to lighten or darken an area. It doesn't stop there though, you can also use a bright blue so in addition to lightening an area you're also adding more blue. My suggestion is try both dodge and burn out as well as playing with some overlay layers and see which one works for you.

As for the mood/atmosphere in general... Well palced shadows can be quite sinister. I added one across her face and arms from a nearby tree or something out of our field of view. Any kind of twisted trees or roots with sickly colors (especially a delapidated green) will push the morbidity.

To answer your last question... Nothing is going "wrong" it's just incomplete. Keep pushing this and the end result will be awesome.
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y190/artquest7/evilrl.jpg

JWRodegher
05-07-2010, 05:56 PM
In my humble opinion, the first thing that doesnt look so evil is the sexy character pose and the camera angle. If changing that is not an option then well, look at the background, I believe that seeing too much of anything will remove the mistery in a blink, and usually evil enviroments are dark. Picture yourself in front of this lady and not being able to see much around you, that would be scary.

What Id do is darken the background, Id add some small details, there could be dead bodies or something like that, with rusted armors, or some sculpture. But you can only seem them partially, add mistery and some sense of being in presence of the unknown in there.

About the women in the throne, Id cross her legs or think of a more dominating/menacing but passive pose. And Im not sure what whould I do with the camera angle. Maybe lower it a bit, have the lady look at you from above, indimidating and sexy.

I dont see anything wrong with the color palette, I would make the enviroment colder, and keep some warmer colors for her, maybe even use some fire to light her.

And to add darkness and not lose much detail I think contraste would be your friend here. Just show the details that say something, no need for the rest.

I guess thats all I have to say, hope some of it is usefull for you.

Cheers.

Bran
05-07-2010, 07:39 PM
well, that's some very helpful crits, thank you :)

first, the instructions are:
- create a morbid/evil looking image. it should show a sexy but nontheless sinister female demon sitting on a throne or a rock (i've decided for the old throne)
- when you take a look at the image, you should get a subtle feeling of "trepidation"
- the image should fit the music thats heavily influenced by the (disbanded) band "emperor". incredible difficult to describe, thats really wicked stuff. so its definately not aiming for any mainstream o0

the sword first wasn't part of the instructions. it is not finished yet - it will get some additional claws, and its tongue, that pierces the blade, will wind around it down to the swordtip, cutting itself. i have no idea yet where its eye should stare at:
- a stare to a light source
- looking at the viewer
- gazing hatefully at the demon (perhaps the sword was once a creature slaved by the demon and forced to turn into the weapon)

because its weekend, i can't work further on the image, so i'll make a plan for monday when i continue:
- lower/alter the camera angle
- placing some objects like dead bodies (almost skeletons) to the ground
- add something to the scene that throws effectful shadows on the demon
- darken the image a bit
- desaturate the background to increase the depth
- testing out where the demon should be looking at:
-- intimidating to the viewer
-- focussing nothing as if she thinks of some evil plans

greetz,
bran

Pherbis
05-07-2010, 10:19 PM
Perhaps to make it even a little more sinister you should have her foot resting on top of a skull. Just a thought.

CJ3D
05-08-2010, 04:58 AM
First of all this is a beautiful piece. I love the idea, the character and the nice painterly style you have going on. Right off the bat I have to say de-saturate it. I think you mentioned you had planned on doing that and it's a good idea. It's way to bright in general. Another thing is if you want evil and eerie and plan on throwing some dead bodies and stuff in there then cover her with some gore! Throw some blood stains on her! She looks like she had a nice hell bath and she's ready for her vogue close-up. Mess her up like she's been out guttin some poor souls. Also Artquests paint-over is a spectacular example. The lighting should be a little more dramatic the way he/she did it and sort of obscure the face a little with some shadow and make it more menacing, it will really bring those fiery eyes out. Especially if you use a little blue or green in the shadows. Good luck with this piece!

CJ

AlexCo
05-08-2010, 06:57 AM
Maybe tru to decorate the throne with some skulls and such, blood is required on the throne as well as on her hands and sword.

Just keep detailing too loose the blurriness of the image and it will look awesome in the end.

Bwhitejr
05-08-2010, 04:58 PM
"Trepidation" means to fear, so you must place the figure in a menacing pose - the best way to do that is to drop the viewing angle so the viewer is looking up at her, which puts her in a position of power. You have no visual clues to make her menacing - more of a sneer or snarl on her face would help, or bloodstains on her and her weapon, and her pose is too loose - add some tension to her, like she's about to hurl herself off the throne at you. Her pose does really not match what you intend, she's shrinking back against the throne like she's scared - pose her leaning forward, muscles tensed, add some drama to the pose.

Nit-picky stuff:

Her breasts are all wrong. You have a shadow for the bottom curve, but there's no shape to go with it. Breasts are tear drop shaped (not like basketballs either, for all you implant fans), and you have the same slope on the bottom as the top.

Her belly is too vague and undefined. A figure like this would have defined muscles. Overall she's a bit too pudgy to be scary. There's no form or modeling to the ribcage.

The cleft of left knee cuts in too far, and the angle is wrong. You have it like it's being viewed from the side, but the pose is 3/4 and from above. The lower leg seems too long.

The background is too flat, there's no depth to it, and it's too monochromatic, and fight with her in a planar sense, because her skin uses the same tones. The eye doesn't know what to focus on. Perhaps a secondary keylight, like burning ruins, or the sword glowing, could give you more tones to work with on the figure, and give it more depth? This almost screams for a "Frazetta" color scheme - make her skin less human, like with a greenish cast, or a blueish one, or crimson. Take a look at this:

http://www.arthistoryarchive.com/arthistory/fantasy/images/FrankFrazetta-Cat-Girl-1984.jpg

Look at the energy in the pose, and the sinister feel from having her face obscured by shadow - that's one thing you could do to your figure, to make her more menacing. Look how he uses environmental color to place her in the scene, but the skin tones call attention to her, and are not repeated elsewhere. The lighting is key in this piece, he puts her head and lower body in shadow, but the torso is in full light, and that makes it seem like she's almost leaning out of the painting. (And it still works, despite the trunks being in the wrong position for her to make that pose - Frazetta also made mistakes!)

Your scene kind of makes no sense, why is the throne out in the middle of nowhere? Is it in ruins of an old fort or castle? Is it a prize she claimed in battle, and sits in her camp? What's the backstory to this scene? It really needs one, to give it some narrative. What's the story here? Did she just get done fighting, or is she planning a fight?

It's a pretty solid start, though, I'll be interested in seeing how this progresses!

Bran
05-08-2010, 08:48 PM
thanks bwhitejr for such detailed information. :)

monday i will work on that image further and i will try to include what has been written here.

- the throne could be made instead of wood carved out of stone ("story": it could be the center of a dead realm, and the remains of those who reached for it, could be lying around. the demon could have triumphed over them all as the strongest creature and claiming the throne for herself :D . she discovers the viewer and the intimidating begins... kind of an evil tyrant reigning over a once devastated land that never recovers from its wounds.
in the background, there could be some ruins of ancient towers or something else)
- add some twisted faces or skulls to the throne
- working on the anatomy as far i have an eye for it and alter the pose
- changing the skin tones to let the demons more pop out from the background palette
(i think, a noxious green background and some brown-violet tones for the demon will be a good choice)

i'm thinking of the sword's eye looking at the mortal remains on the ground (as if it has not realized yet that these enemies are already dead since years - kind of limited intelligence).

Bergquist
05-09-2010, 02:08 AM
Hey Bro!
Good to see you at it again!

When I saw you had started a new thread I was so excited to get to comment and critique on your work, but there is already so much here for you to take in and work with I'm not sure what I could add, but here are a couple suggestions and reconfirmations..

I agree completely that having a head under her foot would add a lot to her "evil-ness", but I wouldn't make it a skull. I would make it a freshly killed person. And, I would make it look like an innocent person, to make her more ruthless...

Also I would think about continuing with the wooden thrown idea. I would add several things to the thrown to make in more menacing. One, have it being carried by poll-bearers. Like a traveling thrown. This way you could have it set down on top of a pile of bodies. Then you could have little evil minions, cruelly picking at the ones who are still alive.

Lastly I would comment on the lighting.
The lighting you have now seems like something I would see for a set up looking into heaven, or better said, the cliche presentation of heaven through the clouds opening up over head and shining a down a brilliant light...
Have the sky over cast and her lit by something under her and maybe a little ambient around from like moon light or something, but the lighting you have now looks to friendly.

Its a great start, and I know you have it in you to make this scene bad ass!
Keep it up! And I'll stop by again to see your progress
=)

Cheers!

Bran
05-10-2010, 12:10 PM
hey aaron and sorry @ all for waiting for my response.

because there are other things to do, i can only work in small steps on the image.
i've read through the crits and will build up the image completely new.
one thing i won't do is to play with too much colors - thats a instruction i have. so the link to the image bwhitejr posted seems to be a good compromise in using colors...

before i will start, here's some doodles for the "new" demons head. what do you think? imagine them with a glooooooomy lighting!

http://img175.imageshack.us/img175/6813/koepfe.jpg

stuh505
05-10-2010, 05:52 PM
Hi Bran,

Right now the image looks artful and cartoony. It is neither sexy nor sinister.

1) To be sexy, you need to address the face. Sexy doesn't come from a lack of clothing, it
comes mostly from the facial expression. Your demon's face is not human enough to convey any
kind of sexually provocative emotions. Right now the mouth makes it look like it's sulking. It needs
a nose. Make her look demonic not by changing the features so much from human, but by changing the texture
and detail of the face.

2) The reason it looks cartoony is because there is little detail. Everything is made out of large
over-stuffed forms. Looks kind of like a teddy bear. You need to refine the shapes so that there is lots of
detail and texture and sharpness. For example her skin could be entirely detailed in evil looking runes,
or cracking apart, or covered and metallic scales and spines, etc. This goes for the background too.

An advantage of using such detailed textures is it allows you to use less lighting, bringing out more contrast
and leaving more of it up to the viewer's imagination. That can make something seem real and scary -- not being able to
see all the details, but knowing they are there.

stuh505
05-10-2010, 06:27 PM
I did a quick paintover to try to illustrate some of the ideas I was thinking of.

Mainly I wanted to illustrate a little more detail on the armor (I picture detailed engravings that are illuminated giving high contrast lines), perhaps even making her skin black and engraving that also?. Tweaked the corner of her mouth to be more of a seductive smile than a glum look. I wanted her chair to not just be a smooth wooden thing but more like grown out of roots, picture this for inspiration:

http://wowbox.yatta.com.tw/mtg/images/largejpg/01XXX/01142.JPG

http://img218.imageshack.us/img218/1491/eviler.jpg

Bran
05-11-2010, 12:30 PM
hi stuh505, thank you for your thoughts. i'm thinking of dark skin, too, but i won't use engravings yet.
your overpainting is amazing, so i will use it as a reference for the new image.

because i'm currently involved in many projects during classes, i have too few time to post large steps, so this is only a tiny doodle for a more selfconfident pose:

http://img203.imageshack.us/img203/8861/poseb.jpg

stuh505
05-11-2010, 08:43 PM
Haha, my paint over is not at all amazing. I just tweaked your underpainting a little which was already a great start.

I think that the old pose also exudes confidence and power but also seductiveness. She looks comfortable and accustomed to her throne, perhaps eyeing the viewer more like a cat eyes a mouse before batting it around and eating it.

The new pose looks more manly, more angry, like she has just sat up, which I feel actually makes her look less in control -- you cannot anger someone with true power because you are nothing to them.

If you were to completely change the composition, I might suggest going in for more of a closeup of her face and the chair behind her. Also think a lot about the lighting. The scariest lighting is that where you cannot see. It also allows you to give the greatest impression of realism and detail because you don't have to do it all yourself -- you can let the brain's imagination fill in all the details. All you need to do is create those features which glisten in the lackluster light.

Delude
05-12-2010, 09:05 PM
just dropped in to say it looks to stuffed, give it some space

here, i found this amazing old thread a while back helped me a lot

http://features.cgsociety.org/story_custom.php?story_id=3275

read trough it, its worth it ;)

Bergquist
05-13-2010, 09:49 PM
Hey Bran,
I totally agree with Stu about her new pose.
Your drawing and forms look great, but she does seem too confident now, and not very malicious.

Bran
05-17-2010, 09:38 AM
hey guys,

there's too much work for me, so i have to pause this image for a few days, maybe a week - i don't give it up :)

again, thanks for the feedback; i've read through the linked article and hope, i've understood.

bran

Bran
06-02-2010, 06:23 AM
hey guys,
sorry for posting very lately in this thread. i'm currently doing an internship, so theres often no time for other projects like this.

here's a quick sketch of the demon's head; plase note that this is not the final pose. i used a strong light from behind to emphasize the heads silhouette and to create some useful shadows.

http://img8.imageshack.us/img8/8889/wip1sm.jpg

stuh505
06-02-2010, 10:35 PM
Nothing wrong with that pose, it's awesome! Lighting and composition are bad ass.

With this piece I think it would be cool to experiment with a blend between impressionism at the edges and a bit more detail in the middle

Bran
06-03-2010, 09:58 AM
update:
enlarged the canvas.
erased the horns because some said, they would look like the "ears of the bloodelves from world of warcraft" (and the demon appears like a death knight (...) o0 ).

not satisfied with the head yet.

http://img443.imageshack.us/img443/3756/wip2h.jpg

Hecatomb
06-04-2010, 05:40 AM
I'd change the angle of the blade, right now it's out of balance; she'd have to do some effort to keep it from falling over instead of being able to lean on it.

Bwhitejr
06-04-2010, 05:52 AM
I like the new direction you're taking, a lot.

You have a better mix of tension and relaxed limbs, it feels a lot better!

Bran
06-04-2010, 10:59 AM
little update:
correction of the weapons angle (thx @ hecatomb), kidding around with colors and first thoughts to the environment. also darkened the bones on the bottom a bit.
the demons wears a black open robe; she currently takes the hood back. not sure if she will wear something underneath, as a little offend to the viewer. :P

http://img696.imageshack.us/img696/8596/wip3m.jpg

Delude
06-04-2010, 12:34 PM
http://img218.imageshack.us/img218/1491/eviler.jpg

apart from the legs and their positioning (and the comp issues), i liked this direction a lot better than the new one, that imo transmits a lot of depression, like a demon on xanax sad because no wants to play it shows her alsmost defeated and tired

again i still feel that with the square canvas you are still messing the whole thing up... with a square canvas the demon feels boxed, caged, and not very threathening...
expand the canvas up turn it into an L composition dont just show the demon, show the universe around him, especially when you want to show his lust more than its terror. (otherwise im guessing you would have done an ugly monster instead of a woman)

Bran
06-04-2010, 01:32 PM
thanks.

i have to stay with the "square" canvas, just because the image has to work mainly as a cd cover - the booklets are 120 120 mm :(
and i'm not happy with the demons head yet and the environment, so nothing's final ;)

Delude
06-04-2010, 04:41 PM
ok i had not realised it sorry. but in that case you might wanna go for a more centered\simetrical\iconical composition, and try to avoid the 3/4 perspective view, as it looses strenght, which it will need once its on the shelves

edit: btw unless the booklet is single-paged, dont forget that you'll have a 2:1 canvas, so if you want you can make the most of it

BigBoomUniverse
06-04-2010, 06:08 PM
I think that making this an "L" shapped composition as mentioned before would help to give strenght to the image and the character as well.

Its looking great anyway!

stuh505
06-05-2010, 02:11 AM
Although I liked the previous head crop, there are a lot of issues I see with the new (full) composition. First, I feel like the demon is staring at someone to my left rather than looking at me. This reduces my sensation of fear in her presence.

Second, the chair is strongly tilted...not straight up and down. That's kind of weird.

I was going to mention how the sword position looked awkward but Hecatomb beat me to it.

I feel like the current posture of the demon makes her look naked in a vulnerable way. She was scantily clad in the original picture as well, but her posture there was so confident that it didn't make her look vulnerable as it does now.

I feel like her feet are too big and I don't understand why she's standing on a skull. The only skull. Did she specifically bring this skull over to use as a footrest? Because there are no skulls anywhere else. It just seems very staged and cliche.

Sometimes stepping on skulls can be a good thing, but if you're going to have stepping on skulls, it is usually to convey the message of someone so bad ass that they don't even care about the dead bodies that they are desecrating...it doesn't even register in their minds. Like in Terminator2. But here, it looks like she just went out of her way to place her foot on the skull, which is really the opposite thing.

As for her mouth, I'm not sure what's going on there. When you draw something familiar, like a regular mouth, you can draw it small with few details and my mind will imagine or interpolate the details and I'll think it looks fine. But when you create some completely new orifice like this, my mind says "err...not right" and I can't imagine any additional details because I just don't know what details should/would be there. Therefore, if you're going to use this odd mouth with the black lines coming off it, I feel like it needs to be more detailed. But, like I said in my first reply, I still feel like you're better off sticking with humanoid features because you can convey emotions that way...and you can't convey emotions very well by using this stylized mouth.

On the plus side, I do really like the new background.

Bran
06-05-2010, 07:58 AM
to be honest, the former angle of the sword had "felt better" to me.
it is difficult to me to make decisions, when two people tell different opinions, for example the pose and the angle of the sword. this work has to be finished someday! :D

weapon:
i will work the sword again on monday, change the angle back and slightly correct the position.

mouth:
the details will come when the image has reached the stage for such details ;)

environment:
it is empty now, because i currently have no idea what to paint in that could really support a blasphemous, morbid mood. the dark trees that you used in your paintover seem to be a good thing.
good point with the lonely skull, will put in some bones of other poor souls. :)

humanoid features:
well, another difficult problem for me. perhaps i will make the feet claws a bit smaller or replace them by "real" feet, but with every "antihuman" feature i take away, the demon looks more and more human, even if that means i can use more emotion. regarding the "music", i decide to stay with this kind mouth. if i replace the claws with real feet, i'll have to put the demons some horns on (to keep a solid level of demonicness :D ).

demons stare:
you're right, monday she will pierce the viewer with a fiendish stare!

and please don't stop commenting this, even if we have (sometimes) colliding opinions. :)

stuh505
06-05-2010, 11:41 PM
As far as the background goes, you've had her out in the middle of a forbidden wasteland, she's been painted into a dark wood, she's been in a cave littered with bones. All are very dark and scary places, for sure...but actually the throne looks out of place in all of them. Why would a demon queen place her chair out in some forbidden wasteland, or in the woods, or in some cave?

A throne is not carried around, it exists in one place: the throne room. If she's sitting in the throne, then I think it should go without question that the background of the scene should be the throne room. Now, what makes a throne room foreboding? Anyone who has a throne must be a powerful person (or demon). So I say her throne room should convey Evil and power.

That means it should not look cheap. Should not be littered with bones and debris and rough rock walls, but rather, finely crafted in an evil way. It could be made out of black onyx, engraved with evil runes, with tall ceilings and cathedral-like arches. There shouldn't be tortured souls hanging around because those are put in the dungeons. The throne room might, however, be decorated using the skulls and bones of others -- built directly into the walls, or used to construct chandeliers and candlesticks. That sort of thing.

Also, I think you should figure out the reason why she is sitting in the throne. If you don't know what she's doing at the moment you drew her, the viewer won't know either, and she will look out of place. Is she casting judgment on offenders who are being brought to beg at her feet for mercy? Is she rallying her demon troops for war (in which case she may be standing, gesturing)? Is she feasting? Think of the things that monarchs do, and maybe modify that for what a demon monarch would do.

Basically, I think you need to:
1) Design her character..who she is
2) Design her throne room
3) Decide what event is going on
4) Choose your camera angle and composition

ArchangelZero
06-07-2010, 02:22 AM
Hello,

I like the image so I wanted to give a couple of thoughts. I'm fairly inexperienced at this time, so I don't know how helpful my crits will be but here it is.

The one posted on 06-03-2010 10:58 AM is my favorite colour scheme. I think the coldness of the tonality really pushes the dark and evil aspect. Also as noted previously by a couple of people, colour tends to lose a lot of it's saturation in low-light conditions.

I also agree with those who feel the original pose was more effective. I feel the demon woman has a lot more character in the original pose, especially with the smirk and the tentacle/foliage look to her hair. (I'm looking at the one stuh505 posted as I type this). Regardless of this, the character had a lot more confidence in the original pose.

As always, this may be totally off the mark. Hopefully you can find something helpful in there nonetheless.

Cheers,

Bran
06-07-2010, 11:15 AM
final change to the concept. i have to finish with this image.

1) Design her character..who she is
the demon once was a human sorceress that accepted an offering by demonical origin to increase her might. she turned into a demon corrupted by the black magic she used, poisened in mind and planning to spread fear and despair among the living. her body began to change throughout the years and an immense hate to all those that don't share her "way" breeds in the demon.
by killing her powers she is longing for enhances, and the pain caused by the use temporary attenuates.
she wears an old frazzled open robe, some evil jewelry and an odd painting on her face.
and she has that perverted sword, a blade that once was one of her human victims.
the demon dwells in a dark forest. somewhere in its gloomy depths stand the tower of the demonic sorceress.

2) Design her throne room
changed to: "design the place that's shown" :)
a small clearing in the forest, some grass, thick roots and pools of blood on the ground. few rocks visible. there is intense darkness among the trees. only dim light brightens that place.
maybe there are some old bones sticking out the ground.

3) Decide what event is going on
the demon stand on the clearing, lurking (?) around. its not clear if she has troubles holding the weapon or if she is trying to lean on it. fresh blood dripps from the blade and from her hands as if she had some cruel deeds...
maybe her eyes or the eye of the sword catches the viewer.

4) Choose your camera angle and composition
the viewer is in the role of someone who hides before the demon. maybe he climbed a tree to watch from a safe place what the creature is doing.
or he is laying in the underbrush viewing upwards.

Bran
06-07-2010, 02:27 PM
today's not a good day. only this bad doodle:

http://img339.imageshack.us/img339/4999/wip4.jpg

Bran
06-08-2010, 01:11 PM
slowly i'm about to despair on this work.
here's my lunch break :D - doesn't look like a demon yet, but i hope i get some ideas quickly.

http://img23.imageshack.us/img23/3682/wip5q.jpg

Bran
06-09-2010, 08:08 AM
at this stage i decided to refuse the latest doodles.
so i picked an earlier one and painted on with my brain turned off.
the upper right corner is reserved for the bands logo.

the orange stripe in the background is a horizon with a gloomy dusk or maybe a great fire beyond; there are thick clouds above.

http://img20.imageshack.us/img20/1979/wip6s.jpg

balage
06-09-2010, 07:11 PM
Hi, I followed this thread for a while and I came to this conclusion.
-The very first image you posted was the best.
-Just let your intuition guide your hand. For me it seems that the rules of the trade are blocking your flow of creative energy.
Those things are just guidelines. Try to forget them for a while, and study them only afterwards.
Maybe it helps, maybe not. Enjoy the summer and the chicks instead of sinister demons :)

stuh505
06-09-2010, 10:25 PM
I kind of agree with balage in that you just need to pick something and stick with it! I'm not sure your first image is the best, I think they have all been good in different ways, and each one could turn into a really great digital painting...but it's hard to give comments when you keep completely changing it :P

As per your newest version, I like it. I really like how you made the corpses come out of the clouds....that really makes it more interesting. With this newer version I'd say, if you want to bring back the bones on the ground go for it...heck make it a whole sea of bones on the ground...

My #1 comment with this is the same as a comment I made before, I think her chair should be upright not tilted to the side. Also the left foot looks splayed out weirdly. Looking forward to seeing this with more details!

http://img149.imageshack.us/img149/5815/copmp.jpg

Bran
06-10-2010, 11:00 AM
i'm glad that you haven't given up me (yet). :)

so, here's an update. there will be some bones on the ground in the next updates...
i tried to correct the foot and to put the demon more upright. and she has now antlers (a suggestion by a companion). put in a placeholder for the logo, but remember that im not sure about if i should flip the image back or forth (while working, i often flip the image to see where i have the hugest failures).

http://img96.imageshack.us/img96/9520/wip7h.jpg

stuh505
06-10-2010, 02:47 PM
Love the direction this is going...definitely a big improvement over the last image. The spikes coming out of the throne, improved clouds and increased dynamic range of the background help a lot. At the moment the spikes look a bit 2 dimensional because of the way you only lit the edges.

The right foot is too large IMO. I have reduced the size in this edit. It also still bugs me that her center of gravity is not upright. I am looking forward to see what the other side of the sky looks like when you start adding in details!

http://img149.imageshack.us/img149/4723/metalkl.jpg

balage
06-11-2010, 06:15 PM
http://img812.imageshack.us/img812/7214/brandemonoverpaintbalag.jpgHi Bran!
Here is one overpaint. Maybe it helps you.
http://yfrog.com/mkbrandemonoverpaintbalagj
Cheershttp://yfrog.com/mkbrandemonoverpaintbalagj

Bergquist
06-12-2010, 02:21 AM
Oh dude!
that last post of yours is looking great!
i'm really liking tons of stuff about this one! the lighting, the scale and persp of things, the bg, including the clouds and the layered hallway look behind her with the skeletons hanging

I know how you love to flip an image, so i know you'll prob go back and forth a few times, but I'm really liking this way better than the first.

Unlike other comments, I think her right foot isn't too big as it is going to have the most foreshortening on it (or whatever you call things being bigger because they are closer, maybe just perspective, hehe)

Alright bro, keep it up! Cheers!

abbeytermeer
06-14-2010, 01:09 AM
fantastic improvement from when i saw it last! i absolutely agree with stu about the center of gravity, fixing that will help a ton.

other than that, my crit is the focused area. my eye keeps going back to the legs and feet... maybe the contrast of the area.... but my eyes will not pull away from that and go to the areas that my brain wants to think is more important.

Bran
06-14-2010, 01:30 PM
minor update:
worked on the feet and brought in some more green. also tried to improve the center of gravity.
kidding around with the logo, don't take it too serious :)

http://img266.imageshack.us/img266/8359/wip8.jpg

Delude
06-23-2010, 01:49 AM
top left hand corner put a big skelleton more close to the camera, if it wont take space from the lettering...
or you can leave it for a parental advisor seal, but as is, that corner feels soft

Bran
06-28-2010, 06:40 AM
i'll consider it. :)

for now, it seems that the image as it is, will be accepted, so thank you for all feedback and your patience.

sorry again for the huge pauses between the posts, i'm currently at an internship that provides lots of fun and much work. ;)

hugs,
bran

CGTalk Moderation
06-28-2010, 06:40 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.